wondering if I am loosing too fast

Options
I joined a week ago and have 136 lbs to loose. Tonight I weighed myself and I am down 13 lbs. I exercise 30 minutes a day I stay under my daily intake. I eat healthy and my fat content I keep 3 grams and under. Is it suspose to come off this fast when you are over 100 lbs overweight or will it eventually slow down? I am enjoying this plan so easy and I am not hungry feel satisfied. I don't have any sugar but if I do it isn't alot just enough to satisfy the craving. Anxious to hear what everyone things and do I need to add anything or take things away. Seems this is alot of a loss yet I am not hungry on this so I don't know.

Replies

• jennyann117
    jennyann117 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose much the first week and I have over 100 to lose to be at a healthy, recommended weight. I think you should see how the second week goes before rushing to judgement. I make sure to net 1300 calories a day and I work out 4-5 times a week. Welcome to MFP & GOOD LUCK :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're loosing too fast, but it sounds like you're losing just fine.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! How much are you eating? As long as you're eating most of your calorie goal, you'll be fine. I would see how another week or two go, and if you're still losing at that rate you might want to eat more :)

And about the low fat- you do need healthy fats in your life! Things like olive oil, nuts/nut butters, avocado, etc.
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wait a week or two. From what I've seen it is pretty typical to have a big loss when first starting to count calories. If the rate of loss stays the same you will probably want to eat more but it'll probably taper to a more normal rate in a couple weeks.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Typically the heavier you are the more you will lose the first couple of weeks because it's such a drastic change and most of it is water weight. It should level off in a few more weeks...
  • bran26ju
    bran26ju Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thank you I do cook with olive oil plus when I make salad I use a olive oil and lemon juice mix for the dressing so I do get a bit of healthy fat in every day.

As for the loss will see how the next couple weeks go. I don't eat most of my calorie mainly cuz I am satisfied on half so, I may need to add more but will see what the next few weeks look like first.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just started a week ago too, and lost nine pounds already. I suspect that it is mostly water loss. You may not be eating as much sodium as you start to eat healthier. That would affect how much water you retain. Also different scales can weigh differently, even though they are "supposed" to be calibrated correctly. And face it, we all know that if you lean forward or backwards it can change the reading. The real issue is inches and how clothes are fitting.
  • wattsj56
    wattsj56 Posts: 94
    Options
    exactly what everyone else is saying, so don't be discouraged if you don't lose that amount on your next week.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    The first week or so is a lot of water weight. It's normal to lose quite a bit the first week.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Fat loss happens fast when you have a lot of weight to lose. You also lose it in "chunks" not linearly. The body sheds it when it wants to. Sometimes you do everything right with calories and exercise and it seems like a plateau and the scale does not budge and that is when you have to have patience and keep up the work with calories and exercise and not let the scale play head games. Also there is a lot of weight fluctuations with water retention, hormone cycles, digestion, sodium, electrolytes, carbs, DOMS, inflammation, allergies, you name it. The body can fluctuate several pounds with water even in a day. If you feel fine and are strong with exercise you are fine. Even though everyone talks about starvation mode there is no scientific evidence of it for men over 6% BF or women over 12%, so unless you are in that category you have no worries. Listen to your body, eat healthy, exercise, decide your own calories with trial and error regardless of anyone or any calculator or program (it is all ball park estimates to give you a starting place).

Congratulations because you are successful! :)
  • bran26ju
    Options
    Thank you that Is what I am thinking. I am retaining alot of fluid on a water pill for it so I know alot is fluid. Don't want to stop loosing a pound or 2 a week would be good. But 13 a week I would be at goal in just a few months or less that would be nice but not realistic.
    Typically the heavier you are the more you will lose the first couple of weeks because it's such a drastic change and most of it is water weight. It should level off in a few more weeks...
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    thank you I do cook with olive oil plus when I make salad I use a olive oil and lemon juice mix for the dressing so I do get a bit of healthy fat in every day.

As for the loss will see how the next couple weeks go. I don't eat most of my calorie mainly cuz I am satisfied on half so, I may need to add more but will see what the next few weeks look like first.

How many calories do you eat in a day? You need to eat close to your goal.
  • wendirhodes
    wendirhodes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the info!
  • bran26ju
    Options
    thank you it seems to be fast but would rather it come off fast than not at all. I was on weight watchers and when I hit the plateau it took forever to come off then I gave up but didn't exercise where now I do will just plug away at it one pound at a time until I reach my goal weight.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Dont expect to keep that rate but congrats for the first step. With that amount of weight to lose you often lose a lot of water at first. The more you have the faster the rate starts and then slows, so don't get discouraged when that happens :-) make sure you meet your minimum cals and eat balanced meals and you wont have to worry about losing too fast. :-) good luck.
  • bran26ju
    Options
    I have 2107 calories that was with exercise putting that up and today consumed 1361
    How many calories do you eat in a day? You need to eat close to your goal.
  • bran26ju
    Options
    thank you slow and steady wins the race a quote from franklin my kids favorite show. lol I know in time it will slow down I just find it hard eating all my calorie probably why it is dropping off so fast.
  • bran26ju
    Options
    Thank you will see how the next few weeks go.
    The first week or so is a lot of water weight. It's normal to lose quite a bit the first week.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options

This. And you should be limiting carb intake not fats. Good fats as mentioned and keep away from any that are solid at room temp (i.e.: butter, margarine, cream cheese, etc.). Carbohydrates should come from low GI sources such as oatmeal, barley, quinoa, yams, sweet potatoes, brown rice, beans and legumes. Keep overall well being in mind too, not just the number on a scale.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started, my rule is that weight loss in the first week will be 80% water and digestive processes as your body acclimates to your new way of eating, I saw that type of big number on the first week so I did not even share it until I was in week 3. Congratulations and good luck on your quest!