new knees at 50!? what do you think?

i've been running for since March and have done 2 5k's and planning on my first 10k the end of Sept. I had a person tell me that running is bad, that when I'm 50 I'll need to have knee replacements.....

I them I'm sure I'll be fine and off I went on my run.....what kind of person tells someone this? is it true cause i'll be super sad! I understand if its constant pavement etc....

i also run with Merrell's pace glove shoes...and i loveeee them.

Replies

• phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Anything is possible.

Honestly though, as long as you're taking care of yourself- not overdoing it, wearing proper shoes, etc, you should be fine.

The shoes are especially important- did you get fitted at a specialty store?
  • it was pretty lame....i know
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Plenty of people run for years and years and it keeps them healthy. I think you'll be just fine!

And that person is just jealous! :smile:
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    I'm 50 and and have been receiving shots in my knees for 3 year. NEVER ran until 6 months ago.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I've been a long distance runner for over 30 years, I'm 51.5 and my knees are fine. We are all different. Weight training keeps your bones and joints strong so it is important even if you are a runnier. Weight training is the best thing you can do to keep your bones strong. I've been lifting for over 30 years and just had a DXA scan done and in my middle age I still have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. It works! Keep up the good work and don't let silly people drag you down. The more you achieve the more people point daggers at you to drag you down, unfortunately it is human nature.
  • sefrank
    sefrank Posts: 26 Member
    I think that was a very uneducated comment on their part! Just like with any exercise/sport injury is always possible. My father has been running for almost 40 years and doing marathons for 33 years. He runs 3-5 marathons a year plus training and occasional other races. He is almost 55 years old and has never had any problems with his knees. It's just important to listen to your body, not push through injury and have the proper footwear (and replace shoes regularly) congrats on your progress! I hope to run my first 10k in a long time on thanksgiving. I have run half marathons before but let myself get out of shape so now I'm training again.

Good luck!
  • thanks everyone!! i figured that me starting out at 30 i should be fine!! i don't go all crazy and push myself too hard. well not all the time anyways. its just something i enjoy, something that is for ME....and that guy was just trying to put his two scents in. im not giving up running unless for some reason i absolutely have to!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    If you want to continue running I would highly recommend Egoscue Exercises. You can get the books on Amazong and if you go to the website (www.egoscue.com) you can find someone to help you if need be. These exercises are phenomenal and do an amazing job keeping the body in prime condition and alignment!
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    i just started running so not really sure, but if you eat good and weight training on your legs and then run you will be fine. some people just like to be negative
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I think genetics and how well you take care of your body play a huge part in that. My family is not runners and all the men are overweight. All the men have had multiple knee surgeries.
  • do do a lot of circuit training as well so i'm def lifting as well....thanks everyone! if anyone wants to add me they can, i always love to have running friends :)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    I had bone on bone arthritis at 50, and never ran. There are so many causes for arthritis that no one can say one thing will "make you get arthritis". For me it was most likely undiagnosed gluten intolerance/ celiac disease and the lack of nutrient absorbtion as a consequence. But that is just a guess. Run, wear good shoes, do strength training too, and if you are destined to have arthritis later, deal with it then. Don't let the fear of arthritis keep you from doing something so healthy!
  • thanks for this!! i hope you're managing well now. you're so right about just doing what i want for today..and not to worry about all the tomorrow's. :)
    I had bone on bone arthritis at 50, and never ran. There are so many causes for arthritis that no one can say one thing will "make you get arthritis". For me it was most likely undiagnosed gluten intolerance/ celiac disease and the lack of nutrient absorbtion as a consequence. But that is just a guess. Run, wear good shoes, do strength training too, and if you are destined to have arthritis later, deal with it then. Don't let the fear of arthritis keep you from doing something so healthy!
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    everyone's body is different. If you eat right, exercise, include strength training and never had any major injuries, you should be fine; however, it is extra wear and tear on the knees, i type for orthopedic doctors, and a few people come in with no issues, and some come in with lots of issues. People with issues usually had prior injuries. I jog, not run, i have HORRIBLE knees but i also tore my ACL when i was 18 and never had it fixed along with lots of contusions, so i know i will require replacements, but until then, i will do whatever i friggin want :) If you cannot live the way you want, its not worth it.
  • yep, i've never had any major injury's at all and been really healthy all my life...built to be an athlete ;) i just waited a long time to actually live my dream.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Tell that to the 71 year old woman who outruns me at the gym 3 days a week. Tell that to the 83 year old dude who ran next to me in my last half marathon. At age 80 he switched from fulls to halfs because he says he's starting to slow down a bit in his old age. :laugh: Personally, I suffer from fewer running injuries now than I did when I was younger - maybe because now I listen to my body and adjust my routines accordingly. I plan on keeping my knees...

Exercise - if done properly - is great for bones and joints, and can actually improve arthritic symptoms. How your knees will fare depends a lot on proper form and self-care, an overall healthy lifestyle, as well as your genetics. I know a 33 year old guy who never ran a day in his life who has terrible knees and needs shots just to help him walk. But his arthritic knees "run" in the family. The person who schooled you on your knees is just showing personal bias.
  • adaplas
    adaplas Posts: 17 Member
    The incidence of osteoarthritis of the knee is similar in non runners and runners. What's bad is running on a a damaged knee. If you strengthen the muscles supporting the knee joint and adopt a sane training regimen, your knees should remain relatively injury free. In some cases, your knees may become stronger with running, as the repetitive stress exerted by running stimulates your body's protective functions and you develop thicker cartilages in your knee joint.
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    I have always been a runner, until 4 years ago. I developed arthritis in both knees at age 37 and have had 2 major surgeries so far. My ortho says I'll need both knees replaced and that it was because of running. I personally think it had more to do with heredity than running. Bad knees run in my family. My mom is going to have both knees replaced in the next few months and she was never a runner.

If you do develop arthritis, I would say deal with it then. It could come from any number of things and most likely you won't know exactly what caused it. If I could go back, I would still run like I did before, even if my doctor is right and that's what caused my problems. I enjoyed running so much and miss it terribly.