When will I believe that I'm an athlete?

Options
On Saturday I am running my 3rd 5K in the last 30 days. I ran my 4th half marathon last December on the Vegas Strip. But no matter what I do I can't call myself an athlete and truly believe it. After I finished my last 5K I didn't want to tell anyone that I it took me 45 minutes. I have never been a fast runner and really feel bad to call the shuffle that I do running. I have been at the back of the pack in countless runs. I have gotten to the halfway mark only to have the waterstation people gone. I have been followed by the ambulance...LOL.... My half marathon times were 3:30, 2:45, 3:15 and then my last was 4 hours (I did it without training at all - I was so mad at myself....but it was pouring rain the last half and they had something wrong with the water and so I spent time in a bathroom of a very nice hotel at about mile 10....lol...). My goal is to go back this December and do it well.....So anyway - that's my story.

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    To me it came one day I was just walking and my brain just kind of connected to the motion of my legs. I thought wow I can walk really strongly. I could feel my muscles move like a system of clock work, pulleys and levers. It was doing everything it was suppose to do.

Then I went to the gym and demanded that it be stronger than yesterday.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    You ARE an athlete...you might not believe it yet but you will. And until then, I'll be here to remind you of it :wink:

Wait til after I do my first 5K in a month (ugh!!) and I'm sure you'll feel even better about your time after you hear mine. But seriously (and this is something I need to remind myself of too) time doesn't matter. You not only entered a 5K, you FINISHED a 5K. That's awesome! And not only have you done 1, you're about to do you're 3rd in the last month. You're like superwoman! :drinker:

One day I know it'll just dawn on you that you are the athlete that others see you as already. Who knows when but you will
  • LindaJWan
    LindaJWan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    To me it came one day I was just walking and my brain just kind of connected to the motion of my legs. I thought wow I can walk really strongly. I could feel my muscles move like a system of clock work, pulleys and levers. It was doing everything it was suppose to do.

Then I went to the gym and demanded that it be stronger than yesterday.

That is what needs to happen - the connection between my brain and body..
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's all in your heart, your gut, your soul~~~it's there. it's not a timing chip...
  • LindaJWan
    Options
    You ARE an athlete...you might not believe it yet but you will. And until then, I'll be here to remind you of it :wink:

Wait til after I do my first 5K in a month (ugh!!) and I'm sure you'll feel even better about your time after you hear mine. But seriously (and this is something I need to remind myself of too) time doesn't matter. You not only entered a 5K, you FINISHED a 5K. That's awesome! And not only have you done 1, you're about to do you're 3rd in the last month. You're like superwoman! :drinker:

One day I know it'll just dawn on you that you are the athlete that others see you as already. Who knows when but you will

Thank you so very much Christy - it really does mean alot to me!
  • LindaJWan
    Options
    It's all in your heart, your gut, your soul~~~it's there. it's not a timing chip...

I should make that into a shirt..lol - Awesome!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    How long it takes you is not important. If you are training to do your best and racing as fast as you possibly can then you are an athlete.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    lol or just write it on your hand so you can actually see it on race day
  • kenjancef
    kenjancef Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You became an athlete the first day you ran. Just because you don't race often doesn't mean you are NOT an athlete. I've done about 9-10 half marathons since January 2006, and the first time I actually ran the whole thing was 2 weeks ago when I did the Providence Rock N' Roll Half Marathon.

Believe in yourself, the rest will follow...
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." ~John Bingham

Someone posted that recently in a thread about runners and I liked it so much I stuck it in my profile. We're a fraternity, and we recognize our people, even when they don't always recognize themselves.
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you train, you are an athlete. :flowerforyou:
  • LindaJWan
    Options
    How long it takes you is not important. If you are training to do your best and racing as fast as you possibly can then you are an athlete.

Thank you Scott!
  • LindaJWan
    Options
    You became an athlete the first day you ran. Just because you don't race often doesn't mean you are NOT an athlete. I've done about 9-10 half marathons since January 2006, and the first time I actually ran the whole thing was 2 weeks ago when I did the Providence Rock N' Roll Half Marathon.

Believe in yourself, the rest will follow...

Thank you for the inspiration - I love your story - It does help to know I'm not alone!
  • LindaJWan
    Options
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." ~John Bingham

Someone posted that recently in a thread about runners and I liked it so much I stuck it in my profile. We're a fraternity, and we recognize our people, even when they don't always recognize themselves.

John Bingham is my hero - I have read all is books and he is such a reason I have done what I have...thank you so much for the reminder!
  • LindaJWan
    Options
    If you train, you are an athlete. :flowerforyou:

There are moments during my training that I believe it....I think my frustration is when I don't push myself as hard as I can. That is the thing about Running - it is pure "me" out there. It is so mental....