help me get rid of my sweet tooth!!!

Options
once again my mom brought ice cream home..I understand that my family doesn't care about weight loss but I do and they know I have a huge sweet tooth. I was having such a good day until I ate the ice cream.. now I feel like crap! any advice on how I can avoid sweets without removing them from my house? sigh.. if only my fam was cooperative

Replies

• tfidykdance
    tfidykdance Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started dieting and I have the same problem. I went out and bought Skinny Cow ice creams.Skinny Cow is low cal and low fat! They have ice cream bars, cups, cones and even milkshakes! The milkshakes even have a good amount of fiber in them. Smaller portions but they help me get over the cravings :) They also have candy too!
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    once again my mom brought ice cream home..I understand that my family doesn't care about weight loss but I do and they know I have a huge sweet tooth. I was having such a good day until I ate the ice cream.. now I feel like crap! any advice on how I can avoid sweets without removing them from my house? sigh.. if only my fam was cooperative

You can't. The only thing you can do is remember that ice cream is high in saturated fats (bad for you) and has NO nutritional value. Nope, not even calcium. Ice cream is a big fat ZERO.

Why not sit down with a bowl of watermelon (use a food scale to make sure you don't go over your alotted calories) and eat some of your favorite unsalted nuts (combination doesn't sound appealing? try it) and tell them "You guys are fools, because when I'm done eating, my body will be good for the next 2 hours; you guys the next 20 minutes".
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    yea i find myself resisting ice cream a lot lately too.. its just so mmmm mmm good! :)
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Super dark chocolate? I like the individually wrapped Ghiradelli squares. They make portion control easier (a pile of empty wrappers to stare down if you eat too many), and each one is in the neighborhood of 50 calories. I also find that natural, no sugar added peanut butter cuts back on my cravings for sweets, but I realize that not everyone wants the calorie hit from peanut butter. Or, give up sweets cold turkey for a few weeks. You absolutely will not crave them as much even when you start eating them again
  • JeNaKizz
    JeNaKizz Posts: 19
    Options
    I would use your favorite fruits and blend them with ice, non fat milk or almond milk or soy milk and you'll have a smoothie
  • marvelscale
    Options
    I second the Ghiradelli, I'm a huge dark chocolate fan :P

Maybe some fruit?
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    skinny cow!
  • mmsommie
    mmsommie Posts: 14
    Options
    When I am having a sweets attack I drink hot tea. But not just any tea. One of my favorites is Lipton's Carmel Vanilla Truffle with Splenda. That way it tastes like a dessert, warms my soul, calms my cravings, and has 0 calories!
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Resist for one week and you are over the point of cravings. When they eat icecream go somewhere else, don´t look at them enjoying it. Or buy these small icecream sticks, don´t know if you can get them at your place, thay have only 50 cal. They don´t taste very good so after 2 days you give up because it is not worth eating them.

Trust me, been there, done it. My family is no support either.
  • JessFehr
    JessFehr Posts: 27
    Options

You can't. The only thing you can do is remember that ice cream is high in saturated fats (bad for you) and has NO nutritional value. Nope, not even calcium. Ice cream is a big fat ZERO.

Why not sit down with a bowl of watermelon (use a food scale to make sure you don't go over your alotted calories) and eat some of your favorite unsalted nuts (combination doesn't sound appealing? try it) and tell them "You guys are fools, because when I'm done eating, my body will be good for the next 2 hours; you guys the next 20 minutes".
    [/quote

The 3 day diet calls for 1 cup of ice cream at supper time. ;):laugh: :laugh:
  • bszczek
    bszczek Posts: 10
    Options
    I get mad crazy carb cravings at night so I started taking smaller doses of 5-HTP to try and stop them as well as help me sleep better. I can't say it's worked completely...but might be something to look into. I've also heard burning vanilla scented candles helps control cravings for sweets. Hope that helps somewhat!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I had a huge sweet tooth. Now I have a mini one. I haven't gotten rid of the cravings all together. BUT they are drastically reduced and for me it started when I decided in January to stop drinking diet soda. I drank about 24 ounces 4-5 days a week. I did this for about 35 years. My doctor said diet sodas were fine. What I didn't know was the artifical sweetners were driving my sugar cravings. I originally stop drinking them just to get a fresh start in the new year. I thought I'd do it for a month or 2. Pretty quickly I realized how much better I felt and how much easier it was to stick to my healthy eating plan. Then sometime in February I watched a show where Dr. Oz explained how artifical sugars make the body think something sugary is coming, but nothing sugary comes. That's when the crazy craving comes and it drove me to eat something sugary.

So, I'd say give up artifical sweetners in everything and just give yourself a month and see how you feel. I don't use anything artifical not even stevia. I drink water. Yes, it was boring as he$$ the first few months. I really missed my soda. I drank plain soda water with a splash of cranberry juice or orange juice. Now I don't crave sodas at all. I like my water it's simple and easy.
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream so I buy skinny cow caramel ice cream one thing is 100 cal and they taste amazing. maybe have them buy that or see if they can buy it for you?
  • mmsommie
    mmsommie Posts: 14
    Options
    I also indulge in Lindt Excellence Dark Chilli Chocolate Bar. You can find it at Target in the candy aisle. The capsaicin in the hot chilli helps to burn calories and boost metabolism and dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants. I like to slowly nibble on one square with a full glass of water, sometimes two or three glasses. And it calms the cravings. Spicy also helps curb cravings too and if you drink it with ice cold water it will help you burn more calories, because your body has to warm the water before digestion. And the water will fill you up too.

Hope that helps!
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to work out healthy substitutes that satisfies your sweet tooth and you can eat alongside other people and so not feel left out. So if you have a food processor you can make your own 'ice cream' to have at the same time that your fam eats their bought ice cream with the following very simple recipe.

150 gms frozen raspberries (42 calories)
    50 grams fat free yogurt (30 calories)

Blend in food processor until smooth, and eat immediately. It makes one very large bowl of what tastes like yummy soft serve ice cream. You an eat it with your family and everyone -- including most importantly you -- are happy.

Work. out similar solutions for any other comfort foods that you know you are susceptible to and that your sweet tooth likes.

Never put the responsibility of sticking to a diet on others. Yes it would be great if your fam was more supportive but if they are not the reality is that all is happening is that you are having to deal with and confront issues to do with your personal choices earlier than someone dieting with more help from others would have to deal with if they genuinely wanted to move into a lifestyle change and not just diet for a limited period of time.

And if you don't have a food processor, get one! Good luck!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I eat ice cream most every day, if I can.
  • Sadfoodjunky
    Options
    That just happened to me tonight. I go through great days and eat well, but someone brings something home that I can't resist... The trick is to seriously get it out of your sight. Leave the room, go do something else to distract you. I know how hard it is to resist the temptation when it's sitting right in front of you.. It's a depressing and frustrating feeling, I know.
    You can always tell your family to slap you in the face if you try to have any. ;D
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    get yourself some healthy choice frozen greek yogurt. :drinker:
    Only 100 cal a container and when they bring home ice cream eat it.:laugh:
    i think it tastes great :heart:
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I also indulge in Lindt Excellence Dark Chilli Chocolate Bar. You can find it at Target in the candy aisle. The capsaicin in the hot chilli helps to burn calories and boost metabolism and dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants. I like to slowly nibble on one square with a full glass of water, sometimes two or three glasses. And it calms the cravings. Spicy also helps curb cravings too and if you drink it with ice cold water it will help you burn more calories, because your body has to warm the water before digestion. And the water will fill you up too.

Hope that helps!

YES, the Lindt Dark Chilli goes excellent with some redwine...just saying. :blushing:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

um ... huh. weird.