HELP!! best choice on this menu?!

Options
I'm going out for dinner tomorrow and need help deciding what the best option is on this menu!
thank you:)

Menu:

Garlic & Chilli Prawns and Squid
Fresh market prawns and squid pan tossed in olive oil, garlic, chilli and fresh herbs.
Served with rice.

Lamb Kebabs
Grilled lamb kebabs resting on toasted sour dough with a Greek salad and tzatziki sauce.

Butternut Pumpkin and Pine Nut Arancini
Golden crumbed balls of Arborio rice with roasted pumpkin and pine nuts. Served with spinach and lemon butter sauce.

Fried Calamari
Tender fried calamari set on a garden salad with a yoghurt and garlic dipping sauce.

Agnolotti Salsa Verde
Spinach & Ricotta agnolotti tossed through a creamy spinach and pesto sauce, with sundried roma tomatoes and pine nuts. Topped with shaved Parmesan cheese.

Steak of the Day
Steak of the day served with a wild mushroom sauce, steak fries and vegetables.

Chicken Portugese
Tender chicken breast stuffed with fire-roasted capsicums, fetta cheese, semi-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, fresh basil and bocconcini cheese. Served with a herb and white wine sauce and accompanied by garden fresh vegetables and potatoes.

Seafood Combo
Barramundi fillet topped with an oyster, a king prawn, a scallop and calamari. Accompanied by a lemon butter sauce, rice and vegetables..

Lamb Loin in a Macadamia Crust
Prime Victorian lamb coated in a toasted almond crust, cooked to your liking. Set on a Galli Estate Sangiovese red wine jus and accompanied by seasonal vegetables and potatoes.

Grigliata Rustica Di Mare
Market fresh seafood cooked in garlic and herb butter finished off in the oven. Served with vegetables and rice.

Creamy Garlic Prawns
Black tiger prawn cutlets in a creamy garlic sauce. Served with rice and vegetables.

Veal Scaloppine
Tender veal scaloppine topped with a creamy Galli chardonnay and button mushroom sauce. Accompanied by rice and garden fresh vegetables.

Black Angus Sirloin
250 Gram Black Angus Sirloin cooked to your liking and topped with grilled tiger prawns. Served with a garlic and herb butter, potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

Galli Game Combo
Quail saltimbocca and kangaroo set on a blueberry and macadamia nut red wine sauce. Accompanied by potatoes and garden fresh vegetables.

Spaghetti Marinara
Assorted fresh fish and shellfish in a sauce of garlic, parsley and a touch of fresh tomato Napoli.

Pork Rib Eye
Tender pork rib eye set on sourdough and topped with an onion and bacon jam. Accompanied by potatoes and vegetables.

Catch of the Day
Grilled and topped with a tomato and pine nut salsa or oven-baked with a herb and almond crust. Served with potatoes and vegetables.

Classical Meat Lasagna
Classical meat lasagna with mozzarella layered between fresh pasta sheets.

Veal Or Chicken Parmigiana
Crumbed veal or chicken pan fried in olive oil & topped with mozzarella, leg ham & Napoli sauce then grilled and served with vegetables and potatoes..

Replies

• AGreen54
    AGreen54 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow that must be a fancy restaurant! There are soo many choices but if I went there I would pick the chicken Portuguese. I don't know if it is the best choice but I think it is pretty good because it has chicken, veggies, and doesn't have the butter sauce. Hope this helped!
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    My mind was made up with the first item, gotta have it, the prawn and squid done with chilli. Yumm!!!!!

I dont go in for sauces much any way but you can guarantee that they will add extra calories to a meal, would rather be able to think about sharing a dessert.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the squid or seafood.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I think either the first one, the chilli prawns, or the catch of the day, or the grilled seafood. The catch of the day is possibly the most healthy as it comes with vegetables.

I like chicken too, but I always have chicken at home, so if it were me going out I'd want something different.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Catch of the day or sirloin without the butter sauce.
    Actually any of the meats/seafood that says 'served with' as you can get it without. I'd avoid anything stuffed or the pastas as they all have cream sauces or cheese that you can't guage accurately.

Depends on what you've eaten for that day and what you need to make up too!

This would ultimately be my pick
    Galli Game Combo
    Quail saltimbocca and kangaroo set on a blueberry and macadamia nut red wine sauce. Accompanied by potatoes and garden fresh vegetables.

I freakin LOVE roo and eat it twice a week. It's the best red meat you can eat. Seriously low in fat and high in protein. Love iiiit. I'd also ask for the sauce on the side so I could control my amount and no taters.
    Don't even care that I can eat it at home, I love it so much I'll pick it off any menu that serves it.
    Australia, the only country allowed to eat it's national emblems.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    anything with a sauce is going to be high in calories but there is no reason why you cannot ask for any of the choices and hold the sauce.

Fish is good but depends how much oil they are going to be frying in.

If I was choosing I would choose the Black Angus Steak, easy to calculate, has grilled prawns and you can do without the butter that comes with it.

But then again, if I was going to such a fancy restaurant it would be a once in a lifetime experience for me and I would have want I wanted regardless of the calories and do a good workout ear;ier in the day and cut back on calories for the rest of the week. You have to have a treat now and then.
  • llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    Options
    One thing you can always ask for: The sauce on the side

Did this yesterday with a Caesar salad starter and it was perfect because i barely put any sauce in and was able to take out the bread crumbs ( which are super caloric, better have a real whole wheat piece of bread than that ).

I see many things that are very good, especially anything that is grilled, but you need to ask for the sauce on the side to have a better control on what is added to your food.

Hope this helps!
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    may i recommend...

purritos.jpg

high protein fat free!
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Without being rude, why is everyone saying this menu is so fancy?
    Most of these meals would be served at my local in their regular menu. Or am I just spoiled because I live on the eatery strip in my town?
  • skyhealth
    skyhealth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys:)
    I think I might go for the Catch of the day depending on what it is with the sauce on the side, or the prawns and squid with rice. Also maybe the sirloin without sauce.
    do you think any of these choices will be around "1200 calories" for the one meal?
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    They are unlikely to serve up a massive portion but if they do just puts some to the side. You are always allowed to leave some on your plate, or ask others do they want some before you even start????/ Otherwise enjoy! It is allowed and maybe work a little of it off the following day or even before you go.

When it comes to pudding / dessert I now usually ask would someone like to share that way I get my treat.

Enjoy!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Unless you eat out regularly, I'd advise you have whatever you want! Then just be 'good' for the rest of the week.

Have fun :drinker:
  • Sunpaws
    Sunpaws Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would do the grilled catch of the day, hold the salsa (pine nuts are almost pure fat). Choose a baked potato, no sour cream, and a steamed vegetable. On the side, have a small tossed salad without croutons, and fat free dressing or plain balsamic vinegar. Basically, this restaurant specializes in heavy greasy sauces on everything. You will find that even the grilled fish will be slathered with some kind of oily sauce. Learn to tell the server how you want the food. Then, sit back and enjoy your dinner companions and the restaurant's ambiance. Those don't have any extra calories (LOL).
  • skyhealth
    skyhealth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!:)
    I just came back from dinner and I got the catch of the day which was Barumundi and asked for the pine nut salsa on the side, it came served with baby roast potatoes and carrots/green beans. But when I started eating I tasted herb butter sauce on the fish, they must on put it on, but I didn't want to make a fuss so I Just ate it:(
    Any suggestions on how I might log this?
  • Sunpaws
    Sunpaws Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's unavoidable. Restaurants will always add butter or oil to grilled items because it helps to keep things from drying out at high grilling temperatures, and it tastes great. I would just log an extra 2-3 teaspoons of butter with the meal and let it go. You did great!!!
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Unless you eat out regularly, I'd advise you have whatever you want! Then just be 'good' for the rest of the week.

Have fun :drinker:

I concur! Pick whatever you want and enjoy! If we can't treat ourselves every now and again then I'm not sure what the point of it all is!

Plenty of healthy eating and exercise afterwards and all will be good!
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    TLDR the whole thing, but as a guide i try to avoid fried foods (ie calamari) and anything with a sauce, especially if it's creamy.
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    also, meal customization is your friend.