Beef Jerky

Options
Does anyone know of any beef or turkey jerky that doesn't have monosodium glutamate? Or has anyone successfully made their own at home?

Replies

• Slim34
    Slim34 Posts: 46
    Options
    what is that monosodium ??
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    My brother makes it all the time, beef or deer jerky. You can google beef jerky on line. I did that once and came up with lots of recipes. the ones I came up with use a food dehydrator so I'm not sure if you can do it in an oven or not.

Cindy
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Monosodium glutamate is a food additive that some people are sensitive to. It is common in several types of foods but mostly protein products.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It's often referred to as MSG in products.
  • rufatbob
    Options
    Alton Brown on the Food Net work has a good recipe using a house window fan. Ive tried it and it worked quite well
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    MSG is a chemical relative of aspartame, a common artificial sweetener. Both are linked to adverse reactions in some people. Unfortunately, MSG is a notoriously common ingredient in processed food, and used in many Chinese restaurants.

Both are good things to AVOID!! Yet another reason to read those labels and ask questions about preparation when you go to a restaurant.!!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    I really like the Apppewood Smoked jerky by Double B, only I think they might have gone out of business. We'll be going to FL in a few weeks, and the health food store there carries some by The Buffalo Guy. I checked out the nutrition label online, and it looks OK. I guess when I first get down there I'll try one bag, then if I really like it, I'll buy more before coming home. I like a jerky w/o all the additives and stuff. Unfortunately, you seem to only be able to get that in health food stores.

The ONLY reason I haven't made my own jerky (which would probably be better for you anyway) is that I understand that if you don't get all the fat off, it could go rancid. I think I'd rather pay a little more and know that it's safe.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I really like the Apppewood Smoked jerky by Double B, only I think they might have gone out of business. We'll be going to FL in a few weeks, and the health food store there carries some by The Buffalo Guy. I checked out the nutrition label online, and it looks OK. I guess when I first get down there I'll try one bag, then if I really like it, I'll buy more before coming home. I like a jerky w/o all the additives and stuff. Unfortunately, you seem to only be able to get that in health food stores.

The ONLY reason I haven't made my own jerky (which would probably be better for you anyway) is that I understand that if you don't get all the fat off, it could go rancid. I think I'd rather pay a little more and know that it's safe.

This post reminded me that I have purchased beef jerky at Trader Joe's that didn't have nitrates...etc. in it. As I recall, since it didn't have preservatives, they suggested refrigerating it after opening the package to prolong life. You could still take it with you without refrigeration. I would think that refrigeration would take care of any concerns about rancidity. I have done it in the past with a food hydrator, and it worked ok.