Questions about 30DS

Options
Hi Everyone!

I'm still waiting for 30DS to come in the mail (it's free online, I know, but I have a small computer screen and bad eyes). but I have two questions regarding it before I start!

1. I think I saw that JM uses weights in the video. I only have one 10lb dumb bell, but I have 2.5lb wrist weights. Would that be good enough until I could afford some weights?

2. Based on your experiences, when is the best time to do 30DS: Morning, noon, or evening? My work schedule varies, but I am usually available in the evening, but I heard evening exercise doesn't burn as many calories or help with weight loss much. O.o i don't know how true that is!

Thank you for anyone willing to help!

Replies

• CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For weight, I would think that the wrist weights will be somewhat ok, but you can always just try using two filled water bottles until you can get some 2-4lbs.

From my experience, it doesn't matter too much when I do it, but I have found that around midday-early afternoon is when I am most motivated. Of course, since I am currently not working, I can work out when I feel like it. For people who work, I would think either before dinner (if you are able), or early evening about an hour to and hour and a half after dinner.

No idea about this whole evening calories thing, but maybe someone else will know more about that.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Go for the lighter weights.

Do it whenever suits you - I like to do it before breakfast but that's just cos its suits me.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Depending on how fit you are you may want to try without any weights or with tins of beans to start with then the wrist weights will be fine.

I don't understand the evening thing, the body is going to burn calories whenever you exercise.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i think the wrist weights would be perfect! towards the end, i don't do the weights in the last set of squats/lunges. she already kills me with all those push-ups! but proud to say after 4 days of 30DS, i can finally do ALL the push-ups!

i've heard that the best time to workout is in the morning so that you can take advantage of the caloric "afterburn" throughout the day. this is just hearsay so i don't really know.

i don't think it's so important WHEN you workout so long as you DO workout at some point in the day. i usually split mine in the day just because i don't work and i have that luxury.

good luck with the 30DS!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm still waiting for 30DS to come in the mail (it's free online, I know, but I have a small computer screen and bad eyes). but I have two questions regarding it before I start!

1. I think I saw that JM uses weights in the video. I only have one 10lb dumb bell, but I have 2.5lb wrist weights. Would that be good enough until I could afford some weights?

2. Based on your experiences, when is the best time to do 30DS: Morning, noon, or evening? My work schedule varies, but I am usually available in the evening, but I heard evening exercise doesn't burn as many calories or help with weight loss much. O.o i don't know how true that is!

Thank you for anyone willing to help!

Hi I'm using 3lb weights and at the moment that's fine, but I am only on day five of level one! :laugh:

Good luck but most of all...have fun doing it!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    but proud to say after 4 days of 30DS, i can finally do ALL the push-ups!

Well done! Is that full push up or girly ones? I can only just manage the full set on my knees, it's soooo hard :laugh:
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I found a bunch of weight sets just going around to thrift stores, usually $2-$3 a set. For 30DS I use 3 lb., 5 lb. and 7 lb. weights throughout the workout depending on the move (some, like chest flys and bicep curls , are too easy with a 3 lb. weight and I feel like it's not doing anything.) You will know after you do Level 1 Day 1 where your limit is, and then you can keep pushing yourself from there! As for time of day, just do it whenever you can. You don't want to find yourself making excuses for not working out because it's too late in the day, or you got busy and couldn't do it at the time you had planned. That's my favorite part about 30DS, it's such a short workout there is never any excuse not to fit it in... 24 min, it's nothin'!
  • cornwall1234
    Options
    The first time I did 30DS I couldnt use weights at all - so I wouldnt worry too much (unless you already have good fitness?) at this stage.

I have no idea about the calorie buring thing but for me getting up early to do it works, its only half an hour and I feel good about myself for the rest of the day. I am just about to start it again for the third time - i do it in intervals with using the gym as during the term time I cant get to the gym very often.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I used 5lb weights when I did 30DS. You should go with the lighter weights until you can invest in some dumbbells. It is only 20 minutes, but it is pretty challenging so you should feel the burn with that.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I started 30DS with wrist weights but it didn't work the way it should. They are ok to increase the resistance during cardio but obviously they do not help to train your arms since you don't have your hands gripping anything. This is important for some exercises to work your arms and shoulders. But instead of weights you can definitely use water bottles. I used those which are slimmer in the middle (better grip). Good luck to you, you will see great results.
    Time of workouts: never with a full stomach. Otherwise: the more you mix it up the less your body gets used to a certain time of certain workouts:drinker:
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    In terms of calorie loss, I don't think it matters what time of day you work out. Your body is still going to register the work out, whether it's morning, afternoon, or evening. In the height of summer, I was having so much difficulty sleeping because of the heat and the only time when it was cool enough for me to work out was after midnight. BUT. I prefer morning work outs, around 8AM, so I can go on with my day and not have to worry about getting my work out done at the end of it.

As for weights, I think your wrist weights and two filled waterbottles should be enough for now. But I do encourage you to get at least 5 pound weights so you can see a bigger difference in your arms. I began with 5 pound weights and eventually moved up to 10 pound weights for certain bicep exercises, and really noticed a difference when I completed.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. :) I never thought of going to a thrift store for weights, but I will check there. :) Evenings are usually when I exercise, so I will stick with that. I'm excited to try it!
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I also couldn't use weights when I first started. I use 10lb weights now when I am doing her DVDs. I wouldn't worry too much about weights, as that will come later.

And I always recommend morning. There are so many studies that say that people who exercise in the morning stick to their exercise programs more than people who exercise at other times of the day. When I did 30DS I set myself a time (9am) so I couldn't say,"No." It was as if it was a daily appointment I had scheduled.