The picture that disgusted me.

Options
Hello MFPers :flowerforyou:

A few weeks ago I was browsing my old pictures and I stumbled upon a picture of me at a friend's party, which took place about 7 years ago.

I was SHOCKED. :embarassed:

How could I let myself become THAT person? :noway: I new that I was greasy, but not to that extent. Back then I had started university with very difficult classes and a lot of emotional issues (breakup, family problems etc). I remember gaining something like 12 kgs in less than 6 months after I started going to Univerity. That was INSANE :sick:

At the time I didn't want to think about it too much; I had other isuues to deal with. Well, I should have (obviously).
Here is the marvelous piece of art that I had become:

29waa6u.jpg

And this is me now:

2rvzi1d.jpg

Looking at these side-by-side was like a slap of motivation in my face! :laugh:
It took me years of healthier eating to lose that weight (not kidding), and I still have some 5 kgs to lose, and I don't know how long will it take, but I realised something.
Now that I look at that upper picture, I know for sure that whichever problem I have in my life (and believe me, life is being so harsh on me these past 2 years), I will NEVER neglect myself again. Because I am worth every single effort that I make to be healthy and good-looking! :bigsmile: :blushing:

And I WILL reach my goal :wink:

Which is YOUR picture that disgusted you? Why did it motivate you?

Please share it with us! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    wow you look amazing!!! xx
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You are looking brilliant!!! :D Well done
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    great job congrats
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, I don't know where you're going to lose that extra 5kg from! Well done girl!

The ones that disgusted me most were the top 3.. *shiver*..

****STAFF NOTE: While we support and encourage you to post you weight loss photos these had to come down because the last picture in the set violates the MyFitnessPal guideline #12. You should be very proud of your weight loss and I admire your courage to post your photos on the website.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • geeby81
    geeby81 Posts: 2
    Options
    I actually think you look beautiful in both pictures but whatever makes you happy/healthy!
    Hope you achieve your goals
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You look lovely! There might be a lot of people on here who chastise you for saying you look bad when you weren't that big, but I'm in the same boat. My highest weight was lower than most people on these forums, but we both know where we feel comfortable and that wasn't it! Keep doing what makes you happy and healthy. Your body looks awesome now!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You look incredible - beautiful curves. Congratulations :)

Before and after for me, from similar angles. My heart broke when I saw the first one; I had long convinced myself I was 'curvy' (what I now refer to as the second C-word!).

Before-1.jpg

After-1.jpg

ETA - yus, that is a prawn cracker in my hand. SCOFF SCOFF.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You look incredible - beautiful curves. Congratulations :)

Before and after for me, from similar angles. My heart broke when I saw the first one; I had long convinced myself I was 'curvy' (what I now refer to as the second C-word!).

Before-1.jpg

After-1.jpg

ETA - yus, that is a prawn cracker in my hand. SCOFF SCOFF.

You look like a different person! That's incredible :)
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, I remember the picture. I posted it to a health and diet blog on Tumblr and got lots of good motivation from others.

I was at my fiance's house with my camera and tripod taking self-portraits, 'cause it had been so long since I had taken any, especially since I was always doing photography at work, I never wanted to come home and take more pictures. Anyway, I had taken all the poses I really felt like taking, then looked through all the pictures on my camera to decide what to keep and what to delete. I came by one picture and started crying.

I didn't think I looked disgusting, necessarily. I was attractive, and looking back on it, shapely in a nice way. But I was so upset because, sure, I had mirrors, but it had been so long since I had seen myself from a distance and seen what other people saw when they looked at me. I wasn't *fat*, but I was thicker than I thought I was, so seeing it so suddenly just... it really hurt.

So here, this is the picture that made me cry in a fetal position in my fiance's bed for an hour, and then decide that hour crying was a waste and spent the next hour walking with the dogs instead:
    111rr5f.jpg

Oh, god, I hate seeing it again. I thought that top would look SO HOT WITH THOSE SKINNY JEANS. Shee-it, no. xD. But, truth be told, I like seeing it too. I can cry over it again, if I really want to, but why should I? I'm no longer shocked or surprised by it, and even though I'm still heavier than when I started here, I'm still losing weight and am now lighter than my heaviest (which was this picture). So instead of being pissed off or sad or disgusted with "this person" in the picture ('cause, let's face it, my weight gain was because of anxiety, not because I wasn't taking care of myself, so I can't be mad at "her" because I feel sorry for her), I'm happy that she, albeit not at all gently, showed me what I needed to see and pushed me in the right direction.

Edited 'cause the first picture was wayyy too big.
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments, and congratulations to the ladies that posted their pics, you did an amzing job! (also congrats to the ones that didn't post - you are doing a great job too!! :bigsmile: )

When I look at your "before" pictures I see nothing disgusting at all but I can guess how uncomfortable you may have felt.
    I felt disgusted by mine because of how I neglected myself (because of anxiety...uhm, no. Depression!) more than because of how I actually looked.
  • fitbeyondforty
    Options
    @SashaMegan..- You look great! Nice job.

@Miss_dannii - Wow.. gorgeous! I love dark hair and blue eyes.

@Mogletdeluxe. - Way to go..you look great!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Hello MFPers :flowerforyou:

A few weeks ago I was browsing my old pictures and I stumbled upon a picture of me at a friend's party, which took place about 7 years ago.

I was SHOCKED. :embarassed:

How could I let myself become THAT person? :noway: I new that I was greasy, but not to that extent. Back then I had started university with very difficult classes and a lot of emotional issues (breakup, family problems etc). I remember gaining something like 12 kgs in less than 6 months after I started going to Univerity. That was INSANE :sick:

Well, I don't think you look that bad in the first pic. :smile: I get what you mean about feeling like you'd neglected yourself. You look great now, and you've obviously worked really hard. Congratulations!
  • ktbrett22
    ktbrett22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at all these photos thinking that everyone looks great in their starting pictures, and then great-er in their after ones! There is nothing wrong with anyone in any of these photos but well done for getting healthier and happier. I'm not overweight but have definitely looked better in the past and I get told not to 'be silly' when I say I'm on a diet. This really annoys me because it's not silly to me so I totally get where you're coming from. Carry on being happy and beautiful everyone!xx
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Last year a friend of mine took a bunch of pictures of me while we were out exploring and photographing an abandoned hotel.. I was absolutely shocked when I saw how big I had gotten.. I had no idea, I thought I looked good lol but no, I had gained about 20 lbs from working at a place that did potlucks every damn day plus my husband and I were living in a remote area where there was nothing to do.. so naturally I sat around and ate all day.. ate at home, ate at work.. no wonder :/

Anyway, seeing those pictures made me decide to start losing weight. I still have a couple lbs/inches/whatever to go.. I'm not happy with my stomach but overall I think I look alot better than I did.. my clothes fit better and I dropped a pants size :) I have big hips so I don't expect to go down anymore sizes.

a.jpg
    beforeafter3a.jpg
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous :)
  • bii14
    bii14 Posts: 192
    Options
    you looke really pretty.... and all of you who posted their pictures, great stories and you all look beautiful!! great job :smooched:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    this was MY picture that made me want to cry. I had been exercising for over 2 months, and a friend took a picture of me at her nephew's birthday party.
    7355961762_499d855e15_q.jpg
    dillons party by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I tweaked things, and finally started losing weight and this is what I looked like about a month ago--exact same shirt!
    7719017984_9b6ec5f26f_q.jpg
    IMG00645-20120726-0919 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • fitbeyondforty
    Options
    I'm seeing great results form everyone! Nice work. Feels good doesn't it?!

I hope to post a picture update in 3 mths. I just started exercising again.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I actually think you look beautiful in both pictures but whatever makes you happy/healthy!
    Hope you achieve your goals

I was thinking the same thing.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    this was MY picture that made me want to cry. I had been exercising for over 2 months, and a friend took a picture of me at her nephew's birthday party.
    7355961762_499d855e15_q.jpg
    dillons party by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I tweaked things, and finally started losing weight and this is what I looked like about a month ago--exact same shirt!
    7719017984_9b6ec5f26f_q.jpg
    IMG00645-20120726-0919 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

Wow !!! That's so great :)