Obesity: A Protected Class?

Options

Replies

• fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    No, being obese is a choice ( in most cases). Thats not what a protective class is supposed to be for.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    No. Something that you control cannot be a disability. So now you can eat yourself into obesity and then have more protection than the person who takes care of their self. That situation should never exist.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBefKP3smXb9ur7NMQbn6vTB_dnbU_zLoA3Ls9vgREuGJet2uF&t=1
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    No, should not be protected...period. At my employer people are complaining that we need benches for people to rest because the walk is too long!! WTF, really? I understand that some have an underlying disability which limits their mobility, but that can be combated with proper eating and staying out of the drive throughs!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Some of the replies here are the reason they NEED to be protected.

Bravo to you that are further along the path to wellness. But, each and every one of us could be in their shoes with one horrible injury or devastating loss. Be thankful for your journey and stop judging people you know nothing about. Applaud your strength and be ashamed at your lack of compassion.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBefKP3smXb9ur7NMQbn6vTB_dnbU_zLoA3Ls9vgREuGJet2uF&t=1

LoL, I like this one...
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I have a problem somewhat with how "obesity" is defined.

I'm obese in my profile picture for example. At the time i could squat about 600 pounds, bench 335, deadlift 450, and run 7 minute miles for an hour.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I do think TALL should be a protected class though. Can't help being tall. All these low doorways discriminating against us, airlines, carnival rides... All these short people getting tangled up in our legs.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I really feel that the ADA is too generalized at this point...It really should be limited to conditions that are beyond the individual's control.

I agree. That was the original spirit and intent of the law when it was first enacted.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Since I work in H.R., I have to deal with various cases dealing with discrimination, harrassment, violence in the workplace, etc.... Historically, courts had found that obesity is a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) only when it has a physiological cause. However, recently the court has ruled otherwise and Michigan, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. have laws that expressly make weight a protected class like women and minorities are.

With the growing obesity epidemic in the U.S. (more than one-third of the U.S. adults approx. 35.7% and approx. 17% of children and adolescents) and those numbers expected to rise, do you think it is fair to place them in a protected class? I personally think that obesity is something most, not all, people can change. You can't change that you were born a female or that you are Black, Hispanic, etc... or that you are blind, have cerebral palsy....I think you get my point.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way criticizing obese people. I believe in health and wellness and there are too many facts and research to share on here to support my belief.

Okay, I'm in HR too so here's a point that you have failed to realize. What if said employee/candidate is obese because of a medical condition or the medication they are on? What if they are clinically depressed and obese as a result? And who are we to discriminate because of their weight, as we do not have full disclosure to their medical background? And who is anyone to assume? Are you willing to risk your job and ask why they're obese? Because you mutter those words and your company has been slapped with a suit an you've lost your job.

Maybe I'm at a higher lever than you, but you're not realizing the murky waters you're treading here.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Save The Whales!!!!!!! Just another sub group of lazy Americans. I am sick of all these special groups seeking special privileges or dispensation at the expense of the rest of us. If there is a problem, never fear....the general government will make it right. NOT! They will just make it worse. I would bet you a majority of these fat-*kitten* are buying their food with their government issued EBT card. Ever been on a plane next to one of these people? Keep your fat in your seat please and don't let it ooze over on me. Better yet, buy the whole row. Sorry to be mean or insensitive but when is it going to stop??

Dude, no. :noway: That's not cool.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Since I work in H.R., I have to deal with various cases dealing with discrimination, harrassment, violence in the workplace, etc.... Historically, courts had found that obesity is a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) only when it has a physiological cause. However, recently the court has ruled otherwise and Michigan, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. have laws that expressly make weight a protected class like women and minorities are.

With the growing obesity epidemic in the U.S. (more than one-third of the U.S. adults approx. 35.7% and approx. 17% of children and adolescents) and those numbers expected to rise, do you think it is fair to place them in a protected class? I personally think that obesity is something most, not all, people can change. You can't change that you were born a female or that you are Black, Hispanic, etc... or that you are blind, have cerebral palsy....I think you get my point.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way criticizing obese people. I believe in health and wellness and there are too many facts and research to share on here to support my belief.

Okay, I'm in HR too so here's a point that you have failed to realize. What if said employee/candidate is obese because of a medical condition or the medication they are on? What if they are clinically depressed and obese as a result? And who are we to discriminate because of their weight, as we do not have full disclosure to their medical background? And who is anyone to assume? Are you willing to risk your job and ask why they're obese? Because you mutter those words and your company has been slapped with a suit an you've lost your job.

Maybe I'm at a higher lever than you, but you're not realizing the murky waters you're treading here.

I am fully aware of the sensitivity of this matter. However, I am entitled to my own personal opinion. I do not tolerate discrimination of any kind in my workplace. My role is to ensure that our managers comply with all employment laws regardless of my personal stance on any of them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I don't believe that we should think of people in terms of groups at all. That's how racism gets started in the first place. No group of people ought to be plucked from the population and told they are "more special" than some other group of people.

Everyone should be treated the same under the law. Each of us, as individuals, are born with inalienable rights that government should be protecting. When they start putting us in groups, then we can no longer be called equals.

In other words, our rights don't come from the fact that we share some trait with others. They come from the fact that we are human beings!
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings as well. I dont think someone should be discriminated against because they have a weight issue as far as getting a job where weight shouldn't be a factor. Plus Obesity is not always a choice the example about certain gland issues etc... BUT I'm definitely not for giving people free things like housing and food just because they're obese. In most cases it is a lifestyle choice that lead to obesity not so much that people have just chosen to be obese. Life styles can be changed as many of us here have proven.
    Not that it really matters anyway in America you'd probably just have people gaining weight on purpose to be put in the category to abuse the system. Sadly most well meant systems end up that way.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I don't think the OP is referring to hiring discrimination necessarily. I really thought the OP was referring more to existing employees demanding new accomodations because of their obesity. Any new accomodations at the company's expense would have to be justified, and therefore, medical-related issues would have to be revealed. No one should ever be discriminated against at the hiring phase. ADA should be ammended again. There are ways to work around this issue from all respects.
  • jccst9
    jccst9 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Save The Whales!!!!!!! Just another sub group of lazy Americans. I am sick of all these special groups seeking special privileges or dispensation at the expense of the rest of us. If there is a problem, never fear....the general government will make it right. NOT! They will just make it worse. I would bet you a majority of these fat-*kitten* are buying their food with their government issued EBT card. Ever been on a plane next to one of these people? Keep your fat in your seat please and don't let it ooze over on me. Better yet, buy the whole row. Sorry to be mean or insensitive but when is it going to stop??

I guess your overly rude comments are ok since you followed up with "sorry to be mean or insensitive."

I will never pretend that I haven't been "lazy" or made poor food choices. I am completely aware that a lot of this is my own fault and that's why I've made the conscious decision to make changes. As someone who is classified as obese, even I am a little disgusted with a 300 lb. slob who wipes their tears over being overweight with McDonald's double cheeseburger wrappers. Many people fail to realize that they get what they put out. I have never looked for sympathy for my weight problems. I have done my best to carry myself with an appropriate level of confidence and for being "fat and lazy," I have accomplished many awesome things.

Maybe they should protect the class of mouthy jerks that think their s*&% doesn't stink. Lack of control and consideration for the feelings of others should be considered a disability.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I am fully aware of the sensitivity of this matter. However, I am entitled to my own personal opinion. I do not tolerate discrimination of any kind in my workplace. My role is to ensure that our managers comply with all employment laws regardless of my personal stance on any of them.

I understand, but your wording is coming off as discriminatory in "real life" . Personal opinion or not, you've now thrown your belief out on a public forum. Regardless of how passive your post may be, your opinions stick out hot pink plaid curtains.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I don't believe that we should think of people in terms of groups at all. That's how racism gets started in the first place. No group of people ought to be plucked from the population and told they are "more special" than some other group of people.

Everyone should be treated the same under the law. Each of us, as individuals, are born with inalienable rights that government should be protecting. When they start putting us in groups, then we can no longer be called equals.

In other words, our rights don't come from the fact that we share some trait with others. They come from the fact that we are human beings!

Ah! That is not as easy as it sounds either. The law can treat people equally, but in order for laws to be enforced, discrimination has to be identified. Discrimination cannot be identified without recognizing that people belong to certain groups. In other words, you can't stop people from discriminating by ignoring people's differences.
  • sinkingthinking
    sinkingthinking Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Then religious groups certainly shouldn't be either, but they are and have been for decadess. Gay people aren't a protected class (Federally in the US) but Christians, Sikhs, Hindus, and even dangerous cults are! So clearly, whether or not a status is a choice has nothing to do with its protected status.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Then religious groups certainly shouldn't be either, but they are and have been for decadess. Gay people aren't a protected class (Federally in the US) but Christians, Sikhs, Hindus, and even dangerous cults are! So clearly, whether or not a status is a choice has nothing to do with its protected status.

Sexual orientation and religion are both protected under the Civil Rights Act, not the ADA, but you do make a valid point. However, as the OP pointed out, with obesity on the rise can it still be a protected class. The creation of the Civil Rights Act and the ADA were created to avoid oppression of minority groups. If most of the general population is obese, then the propensity to be discriminated against diminishes.