Obesity: A Protected Class?

Options

Replies

• MoveTheMountain
    Options
    People openly discriminate against obese people, I've seen it all my life and it is apparent in this thread. I've had people call me names since I was very young, I've had adults come up to me and tell me I'm disgusting, I've had people laugh at me openly but thankfully, I have been able to have a fairly successful career in which no one can say that they won't hire me due to my obesity. I've felt that being a woman (and maybe an obese woman) has kept me back a few times more than anything although they can't openly say that either.

It is a shame when people make assumptions about all obese people without knowing the lifelong struggle that many of us have had.

See- that isn't discrimination. It is abuse and people generally being douches. It is totally separate to discrimination. Don't confuse the two.

Agree. Being mean to anyone is unacceptable - mean people should be shot. Twice. I'm also against discrimination of all types, but I don't think 'obese' passes muster for warranting special protection.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, no, I don't think someone's weight/personal appearance should put them in a protected class.

HOWEVER, I see this every day in business. Everything equal, the tall candidate wins the job over the short candidate (unless the client is short) .

But a perfectly "cut" healthy arrogant person will loose out on getting the job every day to anyone who demonstrates a servant leader attitude with a demonstrated strong work ethic.

Getting hired in the business world (well, Houston anyway) is gearing more and more to reduce the high cost of turnover. And the right person to get the job done is not always the best in shape, best looking person who walks in the door. Recruiters work hard in HR departments to screen and get the best credentialed candidates in the door. I have seen a huge change in the quality of people who make the final round of interviews at my clients (they generally have me screen them technically)

That being said, my biggest fear is they will make smokers a protected class since it is so hard to quit…..
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    People openly discriminate against obese people, I've seen it all my life and it is apparent in this thread. I've had people call me names since I was very young, I've had adults come up to me and tell me I'm disgusting, I've had people laugh at me openly but thankfully, I have been able to have a fairly successful career in which no one can say that they won't hire me due to my obesity. I've felt that being a woman (and maybe an obese woman) has kept me back a few times more than anything although they can't openly say that either.

It is a shame when people make assumptions about all obese people without knowing the lifelong struggle that many of us have had.

See- that isn't discrimination. It is abuse and people generally being douches. It is totally separate to discrimination. Don't confuse the two.

The misuse of the word "discrimination" is annoying to me also. It has a very specific legal meaning. If someone decides to be an a-hole to me because I'm a brunette, that means they are being an *kitten*, not necessarily discriminating against me.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Agree. Being mean to anyone is unacceptable - mean people should be shot. Twice. I'm also against discrimination of all types, but I don't think 'obese' passes muster for warranting special protection.

But obviously the law was put in place for a reason. And being a protected class just means you can't fire someone for being obese (or list that as a reason). If obesity gets in the way of their job, you should be able to fire them for 'inability to perform' but that is different than being obese.

And I point out the abusiveness because people do think it is ok, even if you call them *kitten*, on some level it is still acceptable. Would it be acceptable to fire someone because of obesity if they can perform their job?
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    When has someone faced persecution because of obesity? And I mean real persecution. When has an obese person been paid less for the same work than a non-obese person? When has an obese person been denied education because they are obese? When has someone been lynched or legally defined as 2/3 of a person because they are obese?

Historically, being "mean" to someone should not be not grounds for protected status. Someone's whole living, inalienable rights to life, liberty and happiness should have been violated historically in order to warrant protection. "I'm fat and i can't fit in this seat" is not the same as "you're a woman, so you can't vote", you're black so we're going to lynch you, you're gay, so you can't marry."

If we do allow obesity to become a protected class, we trivialize the true struggle other groups have gone through just to be viewed as an equal human being.

No one in America (that I am aware of...) has faced persecution due to obesity yet... but lets not let it get that far. Are obese people treated differently? DEFINITLY! As a woman, I can tell you that I get preferrential treatment by all sorts of people due to my smaller size... I would not get that kind of treatment were I fat. The fact is that "good-looking" people tend to get more promotions than "ugly" people. This is discrimination. Just because no one has been killed yet, doesn't mean that we shouldn't draw the line to end discrimination.

So there is "you're a woman but you can't vote!" and that's a problem. What about "you're fat, so you can't become the CEO"? Isn't that the same type of discriminating attitude?
  • lncy
    lncy Posts: 4
    Options
    No no no NO.....obesity should not be a protected class.

They should separate the term "obesity" into "medical/physical" and "environmental/lifestyle". The "medical/physical" obesity being that which is caused by metabolic disturbances in the body (like hypothyroidism etc) and the "environmental/lifestyle" being people who eat too much or the wrong food and don't exercise enough.

I, personally, fall into the "environmental/lifestyle" category and I KNOW it's my poor eating habits and lack of exercise that got me into this mess. It's about taking responsibility people, not making a daft excuse such and creating "protected classes" for people (like myself) who get themselves into this fat mess. We created the problem so we NEED to fix it and stop...making....excuses!!!

Right....rant over!
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. By making it a protected class, you're giving up and saying it's not their fault, when in most cases it *is* their fault. I'm not saying it's easy to change, but it's possible. Hell, it wasn't easy for me to get up at 6am this morning and workout, or to say no to all the crap food that comes my way, but I do it. And as a result, I'm getting in better shape, I'm stronger, and I feel much better. I think making this a protective class is a mistake, because in most cases, obesity is a symptom, not a condition. (ie, symptom of eating like crap and not exercises, or even a symptom of a thyroid problem. In either case, it's the result of something else; it's not itself a root condition.)

"I am healthy and active everyday, if I can do it, obviously everyone else in the world should be able to think and achieve those things just as easily. All humans are the same and have had the same life experiences and challenges that I have had. Brains totally work that way! They want to be fat, those lazy ****s! Put down the twinkies and take a run."

Fixed that for you, lets not beat around the bush about how you really feel about obese people. Im so tired of these passive aggressive fat bashing answers. Just come out and say it.
  • sinkingthinking
    sinkingthinking Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No apology, UsedToBeHusky? You did kind of imply I'm too lazy to use Google, twice.

Reading carefully enough to notice the difference between an amendment to an Act, and completely separate legislation that follows the example of said Act in a highly selective, weak-sauce way, is not lazy.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    No apology, UsedToBeHusky? You did kind of imply I'm too lazy to use Google, twice.

Reading carefully enough to notice the difference between an amendment to an Act, and completely separate legislation that follows the example of said Act in a highly selective, weak-sauce way, is not lazy.

Actually, I did attempt to post something in response. Not an apology, but an admission. Something happened with my internet connection and I resolved to let the issue go.

I work for government. I have also worked in private sector. Discrimination against LGBT has always been a 'no-no' to the best of my knowledge. If the laws aren't firm enough, then I suggest that the LGBT community focus their efforts on that fight for equality.
  • ibanez450
    ibanez450 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First of all, I definitely believe that most people who are obese or overweight have the power to change that. Thought they might not know how, or have been listening to the wrong advice; our own USDA is a horrible place to find information on a healthy diet even though they regulate everything we eat. I also accept the fact that maintaining a healthy weight is more difficult for some people than others - myself for instance, I have to exercise way more than most people in order to maintain a healthy weight even though I have a pretty good diet - guess what? That's the hand I was dealt and that's the hand I have to play.

Now that all being said... I'd like to address the comment...

I find it interesting how people tend to think or talk about obese people in the same terms they would use to degrade racial minorities... Fat, Lazy, Stupid... etc...

This is a fairly common problem among people especially here in the US. The obesity epidemic isn't really as bad as you might think - from the 1970's to now, the average adult American is 8-10 lbs heavier... that is a true fact... so yes we have gained weight... but let's look at some things...

In the 1970's obesity was determined by body fat percentage, NOT by BMI as it is today - using BMI, most athletes are considered overweight and all body builders are morbidly obese because BMI doesn't care if the weight is in your stomach or in your biceps. Since the criteria changed for determining obesity, comparing obesity numbers from a time when that criteria no longer applied is a bull**** way of helping out the diet and drug industry (always follow the money folks!).

Also - in the 1970's that median age in the US was 27, today it is 36... is it a real shock that a population that might be 10 years older is also 10 lbs heavier? In the 1970's blacks and hispanics only account for about 10% of the population whereas today they account for 25% of the population - that's not being racist, it's just a fact that blacks and hispanics are genetically more likely to be thicker than white people. Is it really an obesity epidemic or is it a population shift?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with my weight, but a debilitating 2+ year illness had me housebound and isolated and able to do little more than lay in bed or sit on the couch. I couldn't stand up for long, so I made fast meals and quick snacks and rushed through the grocery store when I got up the strength to go, and admittedly did not make healthy decisions about food. I lost my job and my illness isolated me from friends and family and I became severely depressed. Not sad. Clinically depressed (and it wasn't my first experience with that either). I was so anemic from constant blood loss, I barely had the energy to heat up my food.

You know what isolated me even further? The fact that when I did go out people treated me with no respect. They made assumptions about me because I was fat. They assumed I was just lazy when the fact is, I was sick.

When I started getting better, I knew I had to take action, so I started walking at my local park. It was torture. Not just because my back hurt and I was out of breath, but because of the way people looked at me. Some even made negative comments right to my face.

Now, I'm eating right and getting outside for walks almost every day and am down almost 30 pounds. But ya know what? I'm still fat. And I'm still gonna be fat a few months from now. I've got 100 more pounds to go. I don't expect special treatment because I'm fat, but it sure would be nice to think that I won't get passed over for a job just because a long physical illness and bout of depression lead to significant weight gain.

To those of you who have always had your health and nutrition under control, good for you. Really. But you can't judge a person by the weight they carry, you have no idea what lead to it, and unless you see them regularly binging, you have no idea if maybe... they just lost 30 pounds and are working hard on the next 100.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I cannot see how anyone could enforce a policy like this anyway? People judge others based on a variety of things. How could anyone prove that they were fired based on being obese unless they became obese after they were hired? Interesting conversation. I think discrimination of any kind is wrong but it is the employers ultimate decision and who knows why they are making the decisions they make unless they are stupid enough to spout off the reason being obesity.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The problem is - this is all should/shouldn't happen talk, when really it's what does/doesn't happen that matters.

I SHOULD be able to leave my door open because people SHOULDN'T steal my belongings. However, I know that's not realistic so I lock my door.

People SHOULDN'T judge people based on their appearance, but you know what; people always WILL, so it makes sense for individuals to look at themselves to find the solution.

Stop always looking elsewhere for the solution, always trying to change how the bad people behave. The ability to change your situation is held by you.

To quote MJ - "Take a look at yourself and make that....*key change*...CHANGE!"
  • sinkingthinking
    Options

Actually, I did attempt to post something in response. Not an apology, but an admission. Something happened with my internet connection and I resolved to let the issue go.

I work for government. I have also worked in private sector. Discrimination against LGBT has always been a 'no-no' to the best of my knowledge. If the laws aren't firm enough, then I suggest that the LGBT community focus their efforts on that fight for equality.
    I see. It was just frustrating because as far as I can tell, we didn't actually disagree about anything emotive. Only about what the law does and doesn't say, and we don't even have an underlying clash about what it should say. I mean if that can't stay as friendly as it would do face-to-face, what would happen in an abortion or death penalty debate round here?! :o

I didn't set out to derail the thread with the LGBT issue, I just think it's always worth pointing out when American discrimination law comes up, and the 'choice' issue invariably comes up with it, that if 'choice' were always a determining factor in what is included, then religion wouldn't be in there. I contrasted this with the fact that LGBT people are left out (largely because of some people's belief that it's a choice) to demonstrate how inconsistent the discrimination debate has been for decades and still is. Either the choice issue matters, or it doesn't. As I explained, my opinion is that it doesn't, hence that particular argument against protection for fat people does not wash with me. The subsequent derailment was unintentional. :)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with my weight, but a debilitating 2+ year illness had me housebound and isolated and able to do little more than lay in bed or sit on the couch. I couldn't stand up for long, so I made fast meals and quick snacks and rushed through the grocery store when I got up the strength to go, and admittedly did not make healthy decisions about food. I lost my job and my illness isolated me from friends and family and I became severely depressed. Not sad. Clinically depressed (and it wasn't my first experience with that either). I was so anemic from constant blood loss, I barely had the energy to heat up my food.

You know what isolated me even further? The fact that when I did go out people treated me with no respect. They made assumptions about me because I was fat. They assumed I was just lazy when the fact is, I was sick.

When I started getting better, I knew I had to take action, so I started walking at my local park. It was torture. Not just because my back hurt and I was out of breath, but because of the way people looked at me. Some even made negative comments right to my face.

Now, I'm eating right and getting outside for walks almost every day and am down almost 30 pounds. But ya know what? I'm still fat. And I'm still gonna be fat a few months from now. I've got 100 more pounds to go. I don't expect special treatment because I'm fat, but it sure would be nice to think that I won't get passed over for a job just because a long physical illness and bout of depression lead to significant weight gain.

To those of you who have always had your health and nutrition under control, good for you. Really. But you can't judge a person by the weight they carry, you have no idea what lead to it, and unless you see them regularly binging, you have no idea if maybe... they just lost 30 pounds and are working hard on the next 100.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. By making it a protected class, you're giving up and saying it's not their fault, when in most cases it *is* their fault. I'm not saying it's easy to change, but it's possible. Hell, it wasn't easy for me to get up at 6am this morning and workout, or to say no to all the crap food that comes my way, but I do it. And as a result, I'm getting in better shape, I'm stronger, and I feel much better. I think making this a protective class is a mistake, because in most cases, obesity is a symptom, not a condition. (ie, symptom of eating like crap and not exercises, or even a symptom of a thyroid problem. In either case, it's the result of something else; it's not itself a root condition.)

"I am healthy and active everyday, if I can do it, obviously everyone else in the world should be able to think and achieve those things just as easily. All humans are the same and have had the same life experiences and challenges that I have had. Brains totally work that way! They want to be fat, those lazy ****s! Put down the twinkies and take a run."

Fixed that for you, lets not beat around the bush about how you really feel about obese people. Im so tired of these passive aggressive fat bashing answers. Just come out and say it.

Thank you so much for this. I have been meaning to post a rant about the whole condescending "If I can do it, you can do!" claptrap. I HATE when anyone says that... :grumble:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I see. It was just frustrating because as far as I can tell, we didn't actually disagree about anything emotive. Only about what the law does and doesn't say, and we don't even have an underlying clash about what it should say. I mean if that can't stay as friendly as it would do face-to-face, what would happen in an abortion or death penalty debate round here?! :o

I didn't set out to derail the thread with the LGBT issue, I just think it's always worth pointing out when American discrimination law comes up, and the 'choice' issue invariably comes up with it, that if 'choice' were always a determining factor in what is included, then religion wouldn't be in there. I contrasted this with the fact that LGBT people are left out (largely because of some people's belief that it's a choice) to demonstrate how inconsistent the discrimination debate has been for decades and still is. Either the choice issue matters, or it doesn't. As I explained, my opinion is that it doesn't, hence that particular argument against protection for fat people does not wash with me. The subsequent derailment was unintentional. :)

The difference is that the OP was referring to obesity as a physical disability being protected under Americans with Disabilities Act. The argument is that it is commonly accepted that, unless physiological factors are involved, obesity is a choice. Whereas, the debate over homosexuality as a choice is still being argued. The ADA addresses unavoidable physical handicaps. The homosexuality issue is a civil rights issue. Unless you want homosexuality considered as a handicap, I don't see how the two are comparable (which was my point).
  • sinkingthinking
    Options
    There is one cause of fat gain that is never mentioned and it surprises me that it wouldn't be known about in a country with such a massive rate of it.

Psychiatric medications! I'm not hating, I take one with more stigma than most in fact and defend that medication to the hilt. My point is that a massive proportion of Americans take them, and everyone knows that weight gain is a hugely common side effect of the most common ones, antidepressants. Antidepressants are used for a huge range of mental illnesses and even a few physical ones in the US. How they cause fat gain is unproven, so we don't know whether it affects the storage of fat or the behaviour of the person taking them. But it's often very drastic and the numbers affected are very drastic.

Antidepressants aside, anti-PSYCHOTIC drugs and mood stabilisers are even worse for weight gain, they often make people go from thin to clinically obese in an alarming amount of time, and as around 1% of the population has schizophrenia, and many more on top of this have bipolar disorder, autism or another problem treated with these drugs, you end up with, I'm guessing, at least 4 in every 100 Americans on anti-psychotics or mood stabilisers, on top of the even larger percentage on antidepressants.

The big problem here is the stigma: people who say they have a medical reason for their fat problem are often dismissed on the basis that very few people are known to have a glandular or untreated thyroid disease. However, when was the last time you heard someone say "my fat gain started and won't shift ever since I started taking lithium"? People don't like to admit it because of the stigma, and that disguises the fact that many people who are large frankly have much bigger problems to deal with than their weight: they are being pleaded with by society to take their medication so they won't get forced into a mental hospital or hurt themselves or others, but when they DO take them, usually giving themselves a range of other horrible side effects as well, they get fat-shamed by ignorant people who say "most fat people just eat too much!"
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    There is one cause of fat gain that is never mentioned and it surprises me that it wouldn't be known about in a country with such a massive rate of it.

Psychiatric medications! I'm not hating, I take one with more stigma than most in fact and defend that medication to the hilt. My point is that a massive proportion of Americans take them, and everyone knows that weight gain is a hugely common side effect of the most common ones, antidepressants. Antidepressants are used for a huge range of mental illnesses and even a few physical ones in the US. How they cause fat gain is unproven, so we don't know whether it affects the storage of fat or the behaviour of the person taking them. But it's often very drastic and the numbers affected are very drastic.

Antidepressants aside, anti-PSYCHOTIC drugs and mood stabilisers are even worse for weight gain, they often make people go from thin to clinically obese in an alarming amount of time, and as around 1% of the population has schizophrenia, and many more on top of this have bipolar disorder, autism or another problem treated with these drugs, you end up with, I'm guessing, at least 4 in every 100 Americans on anti-psychotics or mood stabilisers, on top of the even larger percentage on antidepressants.

The big problem here is the stigma: people who say they have a medical reason for their fat problem are often dismissed on the basis that very few people are known to have a glandular or untreated thyroid disease. However, when was the last time you heard someone say "my fat gain started and won't shift ever since I started taking lithium"? People don't like to admit it because of the stigma, and that disguises the fact that many people who are large frankly have much bigger problems to deal with than their weight: they are being pleaded with by society to take their medication so they won't get forced into a mental hospital or hurt themselves or others, but when they DO take them, usually giving themselves a range of other horrible side effects as well, they get fat-shamed by ignorant people who say "most fat people just eat too much!"

Very little proof demonstrates weight gain as a side effect of psychiatric medicines. Weight gain is only identified as a potential side effect because it is reported by the patients. However, correlation does not equal causation, and proof does not exist that weight gain is a direct effect of beginning a new medication. Some anti-psychotics, such as Risperdal, have been clearly identified as inhibiting parts of the brain that affect appetite, but for the most part, SSRI's and other antidepressants have not been prove to have a direct effect on weight gain or loss. If one is medically prescribed an anti-psychotic, then they have proof of a disability. At the same time, however, you are not required to provide your company with your medical history, and very few people will openly admit to be taking an anti-psychotic, IF they are even functioning (since anti-psychotic meds are generally prescribed to the hospitalized). Therefore, it is highly difficult to prove discrimination, but even if a situation such as this were to occur, then the disability would be a mental disability and obesity would be only a consequence of that disability.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.