Current Smokers and Ex-Smokers QUESTION

Options
EyeLikeTacos
EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
People who smoke or use to smoke:

Why did you or who/what influenced you to start smoking?

A) Friends (Peer Pressure)
B) Family Members (saw mom or dad do it so you did it?)
C) Movies/Television Actors (To imitate a celebrity?)
D) Vanity (You thought it made you look older or sexy?)
E) Other?

Also, I hope I don't get internet b!tch slapped for this one...but I find someone who is overweight unattractive smoking. (To the point I give the yuck face)..but for some reason I am not bothered by someone who is fit smoking,,,,I can't explain that one.

PS: I don't smoke

Replies

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I started smoking about 4-5 years ago because I guess you could say peer pressure since my friends in High School smoked.
    Currently I'm trying to limit the amount I smoke and hopefully in the very close future quit.
    :)
  • Hssh1988
    Hssh1988 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Started peer pressure. Plus, I do, or did rather, really enjoy smoking.

Quit 14 months ago. My partner doesn't smoke, made it easier. Wanted to stop because I was getting an office job, and didn't want to be sitting at my desk craving cigarettes.

Also easier to do because nobody believed I would. Yeah, I'm competitive.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I no longer smoke, but used too. The reason I started smoking was because the restaurant that I worked at didn't let anyone take breaks except for the smokers. I thought that was bull**** so I started smoking just so I could get a break.

Wow, I was so dumb.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I started when I was about 15............cuz it was cool. My older sisters smoked, and I'd steal them........and sometimes they'd share one with me.

I've started and stopped a number of times since.............I currently smoke, but not a lot. They go best with a beer or cocktail :smokin: :drinker: :smokin: :drinker: :smokin: :drinker:
  • Cherrybomb2012
    Options
    When everyone around you smokes growing up it turns into a habit you knew you never wanted! lol Also quit smoking for my own health.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I smoked since I was 12 and started because it was cool.. I quit a year and a half ago.

I always give the "yuck" face to smokers (not just overweight ones) .. it's bad I know, I should understand why they're smoking since I'm an ex smoker, but it feels so damn good to shame them lol

Seeing an overweight smoker is worse than seeing a fit smoker because they are adding even more risks to their already unhealthy body.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I started when I was 12 because my friends did it took me the next 19 years to give up but I have done it now and only when in a smoking drinking company do I have one now just to be socialable
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    I no longer smoke, but used too. The reason I started smoking was because the restaurant that I worked at didn't let anyone take breaks except for the smokers. I thought that was bull**** so I started smoking just so I could get a break.

Wow, I was so dumb.

LOL! That's crazy...I sometimes get up from my desk and say out loud to anyone around "Taking my non-smoke break" and go outside for a walk for 5 mins.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    People who smoke or use to smoke:

Why did you or who/what influenced you to start smoking?

A) Friends (Peer Pressure) I was the first kid that started smoking out of my social group by a long shot. Was a dumb *kitten* kid and thought it made me look cool, was swiping packs from my parents cartons. I was 14, my 1st job was @ 15 at a grocery store so by then I could just sell them to myself.

B) Family Members (saw mom or dad do it so you did it?) Dad/mom/grandpa/great grandpa all chain smokers, everyone in my family treats their bodies horribly with booze and tobacco, also alot of heavy drug usage with a few of them. Funny thing is none of us ever die from it. Everyone dies of old age.

C) Movies/Television Actors (To imitate a celebrity?)Nope

D) Vanity (You thought it made you look older or sexy?)Nope

E) Other? I was a dumbass, wish I could go back in time and ***** slap myself

Edit: Started Chantix about a month ago, dosent seem to be having any effect on me other than having some crazy *kitten* dreams
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options

Seeing an overweight smoker is worse than seeing a fit smoker because they are adding even more risks to their already unhealthy body.

I was thinking that too...

Like yesterday I was in traffic...and I saw this lady who's arm was as big as my thighs holding a cigarette with her arm outside her window...I was like "WTF",,,,that's nasty!
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I started smoking when I was 13 or 14 years old because all my friends were doing it. By the time I was 26 I was smoking 3 packs of non filter Camel's every day ... I was slowly killing myself. I quit smoking when I was 26 ... that was 38 years ago.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ex smoker, and when I was 13, some friends and a guy I liked smoked, so I did to to be cool. It also helped that I could have easy access to them because my mom smoked. Sadly, almost every person in my family does. I can't stand it now, and am thankful my husband never picked up the habit.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

Like yesterday I was in traffic...and I saw this lady who's arm was as big as my thighs holding a cigarette with her arm outside her window...I was like "WTF",,,,that's nasty!

so much judgment on other people! we are simply mirrors.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I started because my family and friends all smoked.

I smoked for 20 years and give it up over 6 years ago - would NEVER go back.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    I asked my mom this question...and her response was...

"I started smoking because, my roomate smoked and cigarettes were added to the house grocery bills."

She basically started smoking because she felt if she had to pay for it, might as well smoke them...

She really regrets it now.
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THAT DRUG!! I had a friend commit suicide while taking it.....proven by the doctor as to why he died :(
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    Friends when I was 15. Finally just quit a few weeks ago.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I started because it helped with the pain that I have every day. I smoked only clove cigarettes. When they started upsetting my stomach, I stopped them entirely. A few months later, the government decided to outlaw them because they were "marketed to kids." Whatever. I stopped in 2010.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options

so much judgment on other people! we are simply mirrors.

I agree...and you know that shameful feeling you get when you done something wrong?...I immediately get that feeling after thinking that way...I get mad at myself for thinking it...and I don't know why I think that way....
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    When I was 16, among friends because it *ahem* made the high better. what can I say I was a stoner back in highschool. I kept it up after stopping that all and only quit during my prengnancies and a couple failed attempts. Smoke free now for month and a half!!!! This time is a winner because:

I always did the cringe face at old smokers especially if they looked unhealthy as well, like my brain was telling me that they should have quit and know better by then. I didn't want to be one and I did know better, in a couple days its my 25th birthday I'm proud to say I will never be an old unfit smoker :)