Sodium you're killing me!

Options
I'm glad I am having MFP track my sodium, but it's scary how much I used to eat! It is gradually getting lower and lower, as I figure out which foods are low in it. But I have had some surprises!

I got shelled Edamame from Trader Joe's... 1/4 cup has 440 mg of sodium! Holy crap! That is like 25% of my daily intake of sodium. I totally thought it was all healthy!

Replies

• ddss37
    ddss37 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree - I had made "Red Beans and Rice" last night - a healthy version with my own chicken broth.

But, when I tallied the calories and nutritional analysis in "Mastercook" - it stated that per serving the sodium content was 2300 mg of sodium.

Good Gracious!

But, I found the flaw - Mastercook was assuming that I bought store brand chicken broth (non organic, non low sodium) - that was the holder of all the high sodium. I have never checked the cans before. But, a friend had told me the money savings to make my own broth - now, I know that there is a health savings as well.

What I realized is that alot of processed food lack the time to be tasty (like broth made with chicken, carrots, celery,etc) so, they substitute salt for the taste.

I join you in being surprised!

Donna
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! When I first started (back) with MFP I researched sodium. I discovered they are many foods that have excessive amounts of sodium. I cut out diet drinks which, I was drinking several a day; stopped eating deli meats; limited canned vegtables, switching to frozen or fresh; and substituted all processed meats to fresh. I also stopped eating in the lunch room at the high school where I work and now bring my lunch so I can monitor all areas including sodium.

I feel like I have gotten a lot of the sodium issue under control, and was estactic yesterday when I could remove my rings without loosing part of my knuckle along with them!

Good luck.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I agree - I had made "Red Beans and Rice" last night - a healthy version with my own chicken broth.

But, when I tallied the calories and nutritional analysis in "Mastercook" - it stated that per serving the sodium content was 2300 mg of sodium.

Good Gracious!

But, I found the flaw - Mastercook was assuming that I bought store brand chicken broth (non organic, non low sodium) - that was the holder of all the high sodium. I have never checked the cans before. But, a friend had told me the money savings to make my own broth - now, I know that there is a health savings as well.

What I realized is that alot of processed food lack the time to be tasty (like broth made with chicken, carrots, celery,etc) so, they substitute salt for the taste.

I join you in being surprised!

Donna

Would you mind posting your recipe for homemade chicken broth? I'd love to try it! Thanks!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Going over 2500mg sodium isn't necessarily bad for your health (if you're healthy otherwise).

I try to keep my sodium under 2000mg, but the reason is simply because I don't like retaining water.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I've had high blood pressure since I started my current job a couple of years ago. Of course it's probably more about turning 40 than the work but I'd rather blame the job :wink:

I've been taking my BP and logging into the notes of my exercise log - that way I can go back and review my BP in relation to my exercise and diet. I don't have enough data to make any observations yet... but it will be interesting to see what the pattern is!

I've been trying to remember to add "table salt" to my food diary every time I use it - that's been my gap so far!

If I'm really sweating up a storm with my aerobic exercise I don't worry about going over a bit - because I know I'm flushing a lot of it out of my system with the workouts!
  • ddss37
    Options
    Here you go...I apologize for the simplicity...

Organic chicken or chicken carcass (raw - not rotisserie)
    Water to cover the chicken (About 16 cups or so)
    Celery (cut in half about 2-4 stalks)
    Carrots (cut in half peeled - if you want to - about 4)
    Onion (quartered peeled - if you want to)
    Turnip (quarter peeled)
    Salt (1 teaspoon - you can season when you use the broth in your recipes)
    Pepper (1 teaspoon)
    Poultry seasoning (if you want)

Place all ingredients into pot and take it to a boil. Then, turn down on low. Simmer for 4-12 hours. I start it in the morning and let it cook all day. The longer it is - the higher the nutrient value.

Cool - skim off fat. Place in fridge for 1 week (for cooking throughout the week) or freeze in food saver bag or ice cube tray (for future use).

Blessings, Donna
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe...I will definetly use. As far as sodium goes, I am the worst. My family jokes that I am the only person to salt a chip. I now rarely use canned goods, salt recipes and read labels. It is really the processed foods that get you on the sodium. If you start to use fresh ingredients it is some what easier (more time consuming, but easier). I love beans and now make my own from dry boiling/soaking without salt. Then I use the batch all week long for filler in my meals - wraps, soups, etc\

I am all about flavor so if you have any other low sodium recipes with lots of flavor I would love it if you shared.

Keep the peace!
  • ddss37
    Options
    I will be glad to post recipes - just check my blog next weekend and see what I may have. Would love your ideas as well - I have trouble with ideas for quick fast meals - I homeschool my kids and have to think quick for lunches...so, any ideas would be appreciated.

Blessings,
    Donna
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I am having MFP track my sodium, but it's scary how much I used to eat! It is gradually getting lower and lower, as I figure out which foods are low in it. But I have had some surprises!

I got shelled Edamame from Trader Joe's... 1/4 cup has 440 mg of sodium! Holy crap! That is like 25% of my daily intake of sodium. I totally thought it was all healthy!

I am happy to report a solution to your edamame problem. I, too, LOVED the shelled ones for TJ's after eating them with a glass of Chardonnay at my neighbor's, BUT then after buying some, I read the label and YIKES!!:grumble: If you are like me, life is too short to spend it shelling soybeans, so I wasn't crazy about buying the ones in the pods and messing with them. I remember thinking why doesn't SOMEBODY shell them and sell them frozen without sodium? Someone has. I just discovered them in the frozen food veggie section of Wal Mart--Seapoint Farms is the brand--no appreciable sodium. Just nuke them for 2-3 minutes in the microwave, and if you want to make them up ahead, stick them in the fridge for later. They are FANTASTIC:heart: --and NOT full of sodium.