Lose weight by just cutting calories!:( HELP!

Options
Has anyone lost weight by just calorie counting?
My problem is that with work and my busy life, some days I don't have the time or strength to do any exercise. This happens only maybe 2 or 3 times a week. It just a lot for me to do cardio in the morning before work, wedding planning, then go to work for 9 hours, then come home and do a bit more exercise or work from home.
I am wanting to lose at least 60 pounds by my wedding day which is next June. Right now I'm at 240lbs and started a month ago at 250lbs. The last month I've been exercising like crazy but it's really catching up on me and actually stressing me out more with time constraints. I know I'll feel bad if i only exercise 3 or 4 days a week. I don't know what to do.
Anyway, has anyone lost weight by just calorie counting, too?

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You most certainly can! The exercise helps with muscle tone, but weight loss is less calories in vs calories out.

You can do some exercise at home- resistance bands, pilates and the like.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Definitely!

Just follow MFP calorie guidlines and ensure you get enough protein (I'd say 20 to 30 percent for everyone).

If you can manage at least once a week to do some strength training (Lift heavy weights, not light ones), you'll get better results in the long run.

The "hard" part about losing weight is the realization that we don't have to eat only iceberg lettuce and sprint 8 hours a day every day.

At your weight, let MFP calculate your goals with 1 pound of weight loss a week, maybe 1.5. From there, go back and manually change goals to set protein intake to 20 to 30%. And just follow that. You'll do fine.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly in what you eat. The exercise is a bonus if your goal is simply to lose weight. Eat within your calorie goals and you'll continue to lose, whether you make the time to exercise or not.

On the flip side, when you lose weight through diet alone, you lose not only fat but also muscle mass. So it's to your benefit to work out and maintain your muscle mass, and just lose the fat.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Technically you can lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit, but for me I also have to exercise and eat healthy or my weight loss will grind to a halt, even if I'm only eating 1500 cals a day.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You can! But also I'm Abigail fan of "lazy girl workout ideas"... Leg lifts whilst brushing yor teeth, standing ab exercises before getting dressed, etc...and making activity part of normal life (dh and I go swimming together every Sunday morning)...
  • gldnlark
    gldnlark Posts: 53
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. I'm juice-fasting 5 days a week and took off 12lbs. A typical day for me is under 500 calories. It is the only thing that works for me - especially while I am doing research and writing most of the day. I am getting no "real" exercise right now.

I do eat solid food on the weekends and yes, my weight goes up, but typically what I gained is gone in 2 days. You can do longer fasts and lose drastic amounts of weight pretty quickly (see the video - "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead"), but they aren't easy the first couple of week. Then again, nothing good ever is.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I did!
    I lost all of my weight while I was in school. I'm a biomedical science major so I don't have much free time to exercise and I spend a lot of time sitting down and studying. Last year I just started eating clean and the pounds came right off. I did exercise a few days a week, not much calorie-burning cardio, but I did quite a bit of strength training to tone up. Another thing that helped me lose weight is walking and daily exercise like taking not taking the elevator. On an average day, I climb over 20 flights of stairs (dorm, classes, parking garage) and walk pretty briskly for over an hour just going around campus.
  • kendraleigh88
    Options
    Thanks for the help, guys. I can relate to a lot of your lives (if that makes sense)
    I'm getting used to eating healthy now and counting calories-it's been about a month now so it's easier for me to just tell myself this is how I eat now. I just felt bad about not being able to exercise every single day.
    I'm freaking out about all the things I know I shouldn't be (not being able to exercise everyday for an hour and eating below 1400 calories a day or else I'll gain back 5 lbs (?), etc etc). I know I need to stop thinking this way and talking to others on here is the only thing that is helping!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes. After my second kind I got pretty thin with diet alone.

Currently I only workout 2 or 3 times a week. I find weight lifting a much better use of my time than cardio however. More results for a lot less time.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11-5'0 , not exactly sure but I'm on cutting calories alone to lose weight. I lift 2lb weights at least 30 reps. Well, lifting may help in losing weight:D
  • twobless2bstress
    Options
    Yes, losing weight with calories only with no exercise is possible. I should know. ...I had the gastric bypass surgery. But I didn't remember to keep believing in myself. Don't give up on yourself. The answer is not in others! You can accomplish your dream through Christ who strengthen you. Use your myfitnesspal to journal your thoughts . Remember you can do it.....especially when start believing in yourself.
  • twobless2bstress
    Options
    What you speak you can have. ... If you say I can not lose weight. .. then you want lose weight! What you speak is what you get. You must learn to speak positive Kingdom thoughts. :happy:
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by cutting calories and eating properly. If you eat a clean diet high in lean protein and low in complex carbs and stay within your calorie range you will see results. The difference between those who workout and those who don't is pretty much in the muscle definition and strength.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Every diet requires a calorie deficit, so yes, you can lose weight by cutting calories.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, guys. I can relate to a lot of your lives (if that makes sense)
    I'm getting used to eating healthy now and counting calories-it's been about a month now so it's easier for me to just tell myself this is how I eat now. I just felt bad about not being able to exercise every single day.
    I'm freaking out about all the things I know I shouldn't be (not being able to exercise everyday for an hour and eating below 1400 calories a day or else I'll gain back 5 lbs (?), etc etc). I know I need to stop thinking this way and talking to others on here is the only thing that is helping!

Wait what? You are eating under 1400 calories a day but you are 240lbs This is a huge deficit, but it's also below your BMR. I get that you are just asking a simple question but if you opened your diary we could all help you more. You don't have to workout like a nutter. Have you calculated your macros with a calculator like from IIFYM? I suggest you do so, it helps, believe me. Also if you are struggling to eat so little (which I would too), then you might end up sabotaging your weight loss.