Good Cheap Protien Suppliment

Options
can anyone recommend a good cheap protein supplement, that is preferably lo-cal too?

Replies

• pickletkd
    pickletkd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    looking into them now, thanks, does 100g of protien sound rite for a 115kg man training 4-5 times a week?
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you consider 'cheap'. I know Body Fortress is very cheap and a lot of people here swear by it. You can buy it at Walmart.. but in my opinion it smelled and tasted horrible (I seem to be alone with that opinion though).

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey which seems to be another really popular one around here. Using my GNC member card it costs around $26.. without it I think it's more like $32 or something. Very tasty flavors though.
  • pickletkd
    pickletkd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    one of my training buddies reconeded the following, which seems a cheaper option.

"make your own , 1/2 a bannana , 1/4-1/2 pint of goats milk , 2 raw eggs and a pinch of salt mixed in blender , take after training with an ammino acid tablet (health food store) . that should do ya , the goats milk beads smaller than cows milk and makes it easier to absorb and the ammino acid tablet helps build up the muscle structure and repairs quicker after training , banana and eggs are the protein base , taking it after training makes sure it goes where its needed (the body goes into repair mode) instead of absorbing it to store (body fat). hope that helps."
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure when you work the numbers back that will end up actually being more expensive.

Plus it would be much higher in calories given the fat from the eggs/milk and the carbs from the banana.

Whey protein is extremely rich in BCAA anyway so you are not getting anything from the Amino acid tablet that you would no from the shake.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for MyProtein Impact Whey. Has helped me a lot.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the taste would be bad (and potentially expensive to make) and I have no idea about the nutritional value but you could try it out! Powders are more for people with limited time or lazy people (like myself) who don't want to spend too much time putting together their shake everyday.

If it works for you though then go for it! Just do some research first and make sure it fits within what you're looking to get out of a protein supplement.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    looking into them now, thanks, does 100g of protien sound rite for a 115kg man training 4-5 times a week?

Do you mean 100 grams/shake or per day?

If per day, I would say double that amount, 200 grams or so.

I weigh 64Kgs and get 130-150 grams/day
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I swear by this stuff.

http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/egg-white-protein-vanilla.asp

Affordable. Tastes good. No after taste and pair great with almond breeze.

My 2 cents.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    How about low fat cottage cheese, egg whites or tuna? Otherwise, I just use isolated whey powder when it goes on sale.
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I use nutrisport 90+ protein powder. 12 quid from amazon. I'm not sure how "low cal" you want it to be but this is good because it's low carb and low fat.
  • sunshine2212677
    sunshine2212677 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    AvidHiPro - low cal, low carb, high protien - and gorgeous!!!!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Target has their own brand, 2lbs for about $19.
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Body Logics its like 20 bucks.
  • onematchfire
    onematchfire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Jay Robb, though I like his whey protein isolate over the egg. It's not the cheapest, but in my research it has qualities I want (highly absorbable form of protein sourced from pastured cows, great taste, easy to mix, made with stevia instead of aspartame or sucralose).

Egg whites are probably your cheapest option, if you don't mind cracking and separating them yourself. You'd probably want to read up on whether you're comfortable with unpasteurized eggs, though. You can also get generic egg whites pasteurized in cartons on the cheap. That's pretty much pure protein.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Op is based in the UK, so none of these brands are available.