PLEASE HELP!! I think I overdid my routine yesterday!!

Options
I really need people's opinions on this. I've lost 58 lbs so far doing different types of cardio, walking, running, spinning, stair climbing. I still have 85 lbs left to lose. I wanted to started incorporating weight training into my workout because I know it can be amazing to lose fat and calories. I did a Boot Camp class last week and it was amazing and I was extremely sore (abs, legs and arms). After a few days, I worked out my legs and arms on the weight machines and then I wasn't sore anymore, however I forgot to work out my abs. Yesterday when I went to my second week of Boot Camp and the only place I was still a little sore was my abs, during the warmup, we were doing the squat thrusts and on the very first one I did, I felt an EXTREMELY SHARP PAIN about 4 inches below my belly button all across the bottom of my stomach.

I immediately stopped doing the squat thrusts, and I was only able to do arm and leg exercises. ANYTHING that involved the abs I couldn't even attempt without feeling EXTREME PAIN. When I left the class I called my doctor and he said unless I develop a fever or the pain worsens, it is just a muscle strain, or tear, but only rest can heal that. Today, I'm still very sore, it hurts to stand up, walk, sit down, EVERYTHING I do has some type of pain associated with it because it's with my abs.

I guess here is my question, has anyone else ever experienced this when maybe starting something before they were ready? Also, how should I pursue rest to help this heal? I mean working out is a HUGE part of my life now, I love going to the gym, but I feel like I won't know what to do with myself if I can't do my cardio at least 5 days a week. Also, to prevent this happening again, how should I go about preparing myself and building up to this type of workout again?

PLEASE HELP!! I just feel very down about this whole set back I'm experiencing. Thank you to all who respond.

Replies

• melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    anyone?? please??
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My first tidbit of advise if you got that serious of a pain going on - go to a doctor and tell him/her the problem that you are having.

I am by no means a professional at this stuff. With that said, try doing some ab stretches to see if you can stretch out that muscle... a yoga pose called "Up Dog" where you lie on your stomach in a push up position keeping your lower half relaxed, you push the upper half of your body up with your arms keeping your shoulders back and you're trying to look up at the ceiling. Will help stretch the abs out and then transition to a Down Dog to get the negative effect - hold each pose for only a few seconds.

Edit: Don't feel down because you got injured... just take it slow and try to recoup. Hope that this helps a little bit... feel better :flowerforyou:
  • snowchj
    snowchj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is correct. It's a sprain or tear.

This happened to me last year on a full squat, so it's unsurprising to hear you were doing squat thrusts at the time.

The fastest way out of this setback will be a few days of R.I.C.E. Which stands for Rest, Ice Compression (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, as often as you can), and Elevation. Obviously you can't elevate your core, but do the rest.

After a few days the pain should transition from sharp and piercing to dull and generalized. At this point, assuming there is no swelling, it's time for a progressive re-loading with an emphasis on higher reps.

It doesn't sound like you're a heavy lifter but you can google the Bill Starr injury rehab method for muscle belly tears, and that should at least point you in the right direction. Speaking of which, here's a great URL...

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Injuries
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is correct. It's a sprain or tear.

This happened to me last year on a full squat, so it's unsurprising to hear you were doing squat thrusts at the time.

The fastest way out of this setback will be a few days of R.I.C.E. Which stands for Rest, Ice Compression (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, as often as you can), and Elevation. Obviously you can't elevate your core, but do the rest.

After a few days the pain should transition from sharp and piercing to dull and generalized. At this point, assuming there is no swelling, it's time for a progressive re-loading with an emphasis on higher reps.

It doesn't sound like you're a heavy lifter but you can google the Bill Starr injury rehab method for muscle belly tears, and that should at least point you in the right direction. Speaking of which, here's a great URL...

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Injuries

^^^ Listen to him and not me! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Wait, you've already consulted your doctor and now you're asking us? I don't get it. Whatever. I agree with your doctor and would have given you the same advice. Strain or sprain, and it will heal just fine on it's own, provided you give it some rest.

And don't feel down. Minor (and sometimes major) injuries are part of the game. We all get them. This is a good lesson for you as you're going to have to learn the difference between call a doctor pain, give it some rest pain, and work through it pain. We all have to figure this out at some point.

Congrats on your success so far.