Sore legs

Options
So I finally did it. I joined a gym! Yay me! So this week I've been getting up at 545 and going to workout for about 40 min before work. I worked legs the day before yesterday and I am still majorly sore. I mean like barely able to walk two days later sore.
What can I do about sore legs and muscles in general?
Will I get used to the pain?

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, enough protein, and gently working them - think a walk and then a nice stretch more than anything else. I find now that I only really get sore from throwing new moves or significantly more weight into a workout.
  • amandajam2012
    Options
    I had a free session with a personals trainer and he kicked my butt! I wish I could afford one for even just a month to get me started. I feel clueless in the gym. Especially with lifting weights
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    If you squat 5 times a week you will always be sore, 2 times a week you'll be fine
  • emilymnyc
    Options
    If you're sore, but can still move around then do more working out! If you're sore to the point where you can barely move maybe take some rest :) Like me for example-hamstrings are sore, but I can still get up out of bed, so I'm going for a walk and to spin class and yoga later.
    Water, water, water always helps as does stretching...and the occasional epsom salt bath :)
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    A good stretch. If you see your trainer, ask him for some ideas. If the front of your legs and thighs are a main point, sit on your feet with your toes pointed behind you. Lean back and press your behind into your heels. This is a GREAT stretch for those areas.

Of course, a hot bath always works wonders after a good stretch.
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water and have a protein shake after your workout. The more time you workout and build your muscles, they will eventually not hurt anymore. Personally, I like being sore a couple days after working out. It makes me feel like I got a really good workout in.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    pretty irresponsible of the personal trainer to work you to the point you cant walk for days. keep the legs moving gently and the pain should go in a few days max - unless you have torn a muscle, then it will take a lot longer.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    pretty irresponsible of the personal trainer to work you to the point you cant walk for days. keep the legs moving gently and the pain should go in a few days max - unless you have torn a muscle, then it will take a lot longer.

Or pretty awesome that he got her to work so hard... When you have a real leg day let us know
  • amandajam2012
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! I took a long walk around campus last night and feel so much better today! Now I'm ready for a long weekend of four-wheeling and hiking.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Or pretty awesome that he got her to work so hard... When you have a real leg day let us know

Getting a newbie to the point where they cant walk isn't awesome. Showing her how to use equipment, demonstrating good technique and developing a training plan based on her current ability and goals is awesome.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was thinking..........

The head coach of my tri club has an interesting philosophy.........always leave them wanting more.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Getting a newbie to the point where they cant walk isn't awesome. Showing her how to use equipment, demonstrating good technique and developing a training plan based on her current ability and goals is awesome.

Maybe you don't remember when you first started but it's pretty normal to be extremely sore after your first time attempting strength training. I remember the first time I did push-ups, I didn't even do that many. The next day I couldn't even lift my arms above my head to shampoo my hair. The first time is always the worst.