BACON rant

Options

Replies

• christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i'm cooking bacon now. the smell will linger for hours. i think of it as the best air freshener ever.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The Nitrate free Turkey Bacon i get from Trader Joe's is yum. I'd rather eat it than regular bacon.

Any other turkey bacon is the pits tho.

I absolutely love my turkey bacon
  • msdivine26
    Options
    Aaargh, just set off my smoke detector baking bacon.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why the OP didn't include cholesterol and other fats in the comparison.

According to the MFP numbers:

Turkey 15 cholesterol per slice 1 sat fat
    Pig 7.5 cholesterol per slice 1 sat fat

Hmmmmm....I'll take pig.

Thank you!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've even heard health experts say you may as well just eat real bacon.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am so tired of everyone giving BACON a bad name.

"Oh...it has bacon, it must be high in fat, calories, sodium"

"BACON? That can't be HEALTHY!"

"BACON? I only eat TURKEY bacon because it is SO much better for you".

END the NONSENCE already! :mad:

According to MFP data base lets compare:

Oscar Mayer Hardwood Bacon

Serving Size: TWO slices
    Calories per serving: 70
    Sodium per serving: 270
    Fat per serving: 5 grams
    Protein per serving: 7 grams

Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon

Serving Size: ONE slice
    Calories per serving: 35
    Sodium per serving: 180
    Fat per serving: 3 grams
    Protein per serving: 2 grams

Not sure about everyone else, but I will eat my TWO slices of REAL BACON with LESS sodium, LESS fat and MORE protein!

REAL BACON LOVERS UNITE!:flowerforyou:

I was kind of feeling bad this morning, because I love me some bacon... I have 2 slices at least three maybe 4 times a week. It is usually the thin cut. I adore it and it makes me happy and is within my limits. I tend to go over my sodium, but it isn't totally the bacon that is doing it. I was shocked at how much sodium is in breads.
    I AM UNITED with you! :)
    Oh and GAG on the turkey wanna be bacon.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I live in the Egyptian Sinai desert when Im not studying in the UK, and proper bacon is a marketable commodity.
    When I go home, I purposely book 32kg for my luggage, so that I can carry a plethora of piggie products.

Having loads of Euro buddies I look on it as a Red Cross parcel as emergency aid.
    Polish salami, German pepperoni, pork chops, sausages, but the prize for the biggest amount of begging is Danish bacon. I get it from a local butcher and get it in thick chop-like slices. so, none of this rasher crap!! Gimme bacon! And gimme it NOW!!!

The extra weight allowance cost is offset by the "carriage" cost of the particular orders.

The morning after I get back, we all head on up to my friend's pool to have a breakfast pool party with pig on the menu! Barbq'd bacon steaks, fresh eggs, fresh tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, beans and gallons and gallons of coffee!!!

I love going home!

I can only imagine how hard it would be to get any kind of pork there. You are one popular guy on that return trip. It sounds like a lot of fun!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why the OP didn't include cholesterol and other fats in the comparison.

According to the MFP numbers:

Turkey 15 cholesterol per slice 1 sat fat
    Pig 7.5 cholesterol per slice 1 sat fat

Hmmmmm....I'll take pig.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/can-bacon-be-part-of-a-healthy-diet

Not to break your bubble, but the OP made this thread to help people realise that yes you can eat bacon and have a healthy life style and your link goes on to prove that as well.

Quoting from your own link 'Many researchers have concluded that regular consumption of processed meats may lead to higher risk for prostate cancer and several other cancers.' so lets see, irregular consumption should be fine! The OP was exactly saying it have it everyone morning with your eggs! She was pointing out that you can still eat and lead a healthy life style.

Oh yippee, I love picking sentences out of articles to make a point. How about this one from the same link

"Not only is bacon considered a red meat, it’s also a member of the dreaded "processed meat" group (even turkey bacon falls into this category. And NO amount of processed meat is considered safe to eat, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research."
    just buy your own pork belly and make your own.

I don't like it enough to bother with that, but why do you assume that home smoking or curing would be healthier? Or do you mean eat it uncured?
  • benjit_t
    benjit_t Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you can get Applegate farms bacon, the pigs aren't kept in tiny cages. Sure they get killed in the end but they have a nice piggy life. It's also nicer tasting bacon than Hatfield etc.
  • Montanarush
    Options
    I eat three slices of bacon almost everyday. Bacon is not bad for you, its all those empty , useless carbs everybody eats.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Love me some bacon!!!!!

Turkey bacon sucks. I tried it....I even eventually finished the package...but I doubt I'll buy it again. I prefer the real thing :-)
  • fwalz3
    fwalz3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There's just something about this conversation that isn't quite kosher...

I don't eat it, it looks nasty and smells even worse!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    There exists no food that cannot be made better with bacon.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thank you! lol My fiance had bought a package of "regular ol'" bacon not long ago and I was home alone with it and thought "the heck with it, i want some, cooked it up, then went to log it, and was shocked that my two little strips i had really weren't that bad! I LOVE BACON, and I am not cutting it out of my diet!

:bigsmile:
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ME SOME BACON!!! HATERS BE DAMNED ;)
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Amen! Since I have been watching what I'm eating I have really been reading lables and am shocked at the 'healthy' food that I find that really aren't any better or WORSE than the 'unhealthy' versions! I do eat pepperige farm light multigrain bread (35 calories a slice) but for the most part I would rather eat real food any day of the week!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My favorite kind of bacon...get this at the local butcher and is better than anything you'll buy at a grocery store:

2z8qkuf.jpg
  • witless
    witless Posts: 19
    Options
    this is the calorie count for 1 oz

Calories 153 (641 kJ)
    Calories from fat 107
    % Daily Value 1
    Total Fat 11.8g 18%
    Sat. Fat 3.9g 19%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 31mg 10%
    Sodium 655mg 27%
    Total Carbs. 0.4g < 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 10.5g
    Calcium 3.1mg
    Potassium 160.2mg
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Your argument is invalid, oscar mayer bacon is not real bacon

Go to your butcher and get some thick cut bacon

bacon pr0n
    dscn0341.jpg

:heart: I get mine at a real butcher. Bought some from Albertson's butcher block one time, and it tasted like fish! Gross! Real butcher who can tell you WHERE on the pig and WHERE in the state it came from.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    There is this tiny little shop in Canterbury, Nh that an ex and I just happened upon (think dirt road, random building, no neighbors, may not make it out alive kind of place) called Fox Country Smokehouse. They the most delicious bacon, EVER!!!! They also have all kinds of other pork products, some duck, jerky, treats for the doggie like pigs hoofs.

I have been there! I live in Chichester, NH. So good with real NH maple syrup! :love: