Carbs, eat them or not?

Options
124»

Replies

• EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am in need of some help, I am going to eat a half Deli Express cured dark turkey and substitute cheddar cheese without wheat bread....

The nutritional information includes the wheat bread...should i make my own listing of deli express cured dark turkey and substitute cheddar cheese without the bread??

Calories 250
    Sodium 1270 mg
    Total Fat 8 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 28 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 1 g
    Protein 19 g
    Cholesterol 40 mg
    Vitamin A 4%
    Calcium 15%
    Vitamin C 2%
    Iron 10%
    Why not log the ingredients separately? Like, 2 slices turkey, 1 slice cheddar, 3 slices tomato, 1 tbsp mayo or whatever is on there. To me that's easier than modifying an entry that includes something you're not having.

I tried looking up cured dark turkey, I didn't see anything...i was thinking about doing it that way too...
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    eat-all-the-things.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am in need of some help, I am going to eat a half Deli Express cured dark turkey and substitute cheddar cheese without wheat bread....

The nutritional information includes the wheat bread...should i make my own listing of deli express cured dark turkey and substitute cheddar cheese without the bread??

Calories 250
    Sodium 1270 mg
    Total Fat 8 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 28 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 1 g
    Protein 19 g
    Cholesterol 40 mg
    Vitamin A 4%
    Calcium 15%
    Vitamin C 2%
    Iron 10%
    Why not log the ingredients separately? Like, 2 slices turkey, 1 slice cheddar, 3 slices tomato, 1 tbsp mayo or whatever is on there. To me that's easier than modifying an entry that includes something you're not having.

I tried looking up cured dark turkey, I didn't see anything...i was thinking about doing it that way too...
    I don't know anything about cured dark turkey, but I suspect if you broaden the search to deli turkey you can find something close enough.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've always been a big carb eater. I feel like I need them for energy. I generally eat only whole grains. I was wondering what all of you think about cutting out most carbs like breads, pastas, rice etc, and just eating mainly fruits, veggies and meats? I don't know if this is really sustainable. I'd like to hear what you all think, and what has worked for you.

Eat protein and fats, and fill rest of calories with carbs.

Protein 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass or goal weight. Fats about .4g per lb of lean body mass or goal weight. Fill rest of calories with carbs.
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    If you have issue with carbs try to cut back a little, but dont stop them complete, because we do need our carbs for energy:smile:
  • vegmomma
    vegmomma Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I JUST discovered the Ezechial bread a few days ago. It is very tasty and even my 3 daughters ate it! Amazing. AND I hear they have pizza crust in this line! I will continue to buy this! Awesome!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs all day long! I still eat pasta, bread, and rice regularly..

I don't understand why most people take them out other than lack of self control
  • darleneprashar
    Options
    A person needs carbs to feel satisfied, and not get depressed. So dont cut them out entirely.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Check out Marksdailyapple.com or the book The Primal Blueprint. Very insightful
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've always been a big carb eater. I feel like I need them for energy. I generally eat only whole grains. I was wondering what all of you think about cutting out most carbs like breads, pastas, rice etc, and just eating mainly fruits, veggies and meats? I don't know if this is really sustainable. I'd like to hear what you all think, and what has worked for you.

Eat protein and fats, and fill rest of calories with carbs.

Protein 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass or goal weight. Fats about .4g per lb of lean body mass or goal weight. Fill rest of calories with carbs.
    ^agreed.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I am a fan of cutting out processed food stuffs. I tend to eat whole grains,legumes, fruits and veggies. Do what works for you.
  • martoosha
    Options
    Eat carbs. Carbs are not "useless" they are used for many functions in your body

- source of fuel and energy
    - correct function of our heart, brain, nervous and immune systems
    - regulation of blood glucose
    - sparing the use of protein for energy
    - Breakdown of fatty acids and preventing ketosis
    - biological recognition processes

Carbs ARE necessary and even more necessary when you weight train. As a trainer and nutritionist, I refuse to train a client if they aren't consuming some sort of carbs more than fruits and veggies.

Also, as someone preparing to compete in a fitness model competition, I consume 150g+ of carbs, 140g+ of protein and 30g of fat and have seen better results than without carbs.

There is a lot of research to support this and to have someone say carbs are useless is uneducated.
  • DaBigChief
    DaBigChief Posts: 146
    Options
    Not all carbs are created equally. I avoid simple carbs and eat complex carbs responsibly.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If you currently eat carbs and aren't constantly farting all day or in a state of pain or bloating then you can continue to eat carbs. Congratulations.

Do I have to stop if they make me fart?
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Surely we process those more efficiently than breads, pastas, and sweets.

No, we actually don't. The human body has no trouble digesting breads, pastas, or sweets. The digestive system is filled with many specialized enzymes and bacteria to digest various food types. More complex carbs like breads and pastas may take longer to break down than fruit, but that doesn't make it less efficient, in fact, complex carbs like starches in bread and pasta are better, longer lasting energy sources than fruits or vegetables. That's why humans have been living off of bread and pasta for thousands of years.

fact
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Surely we process those more efficiently than breads, pastas, and sweets.

No, we actually don't. The human body has no trouble digesting breads, pastas, or sweets. The digestive system is filled with many specialized enzymes and bacteria to digest various food types. More complex carbs like breads and pastas may take longer to break down than fruit, but that doesn't make it less efficient, in fact, complex carbs like starches in bread and pasta are better, longer lasting energy sources than fruits or vegetables. That's why humans have been living off of bread and pasta for thousands of years.

fact

Yup.
  • wazzanz
    wazzanz Posts: 78
    Options
    Eat them. If you stop eating them, it will only be temporary. Then, unfortunately, when you start eating them again you will likely have a big spike on the scale, get discouraged and quit.

Just eat in moderation; within your calories. Don't cut out any particular food group.

Quite right. Also find the more refined (less natural) the less you should eat. Cut back bread, pasta and bagels (even wholemeal)
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, but am more interested in getting fiber, vitamins and protein in my diet. Most carbs are high in calories and low in nutrients. When I do eat carbs, I stick to whole grains. If I happen to eat a lot of carb in a day, I end up eating less in volume and usually feel hungry. Everyone is different. I think it's interesting to play around with your macros and see how you're feeling. I wouldn't ban any food because I would feel deprived!
  • IntuitiveEater
    Options
    I eat all sorts of carbs, from the ridiculously healthy (think brown rice) to the ridiculously unhealthy (think Little Debbies) and I find that the old adage of "everything in moderation" works well with all food groups.