The sugar debate

Options
So it's hard to know what the right amount of sugar is good for your health. Recent studies and info has said no more than 25g. a day!! Do you know how little that is??!!

Was just watching the doctors and they advised drinking no sugar added cranberry juice for heart health. 3 glasses a day is what they recommend. EACH GLASS WOULD BE OVER 30g OF SUGAR EACH!!!

I can never make sense of it all, I want to eat healthy, live long, be strong, but every where you turn are conflicting facts.

Does anyone have some insight or are all of you as lost as I am?

Replies

• savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    first stop worrying about the little things and start by doing what really matters.....weight gain isnt caused by sugar, its not caused by fat and its not caused by protein its simply caused by eating to much of anything. So find the calories your body needs to use a day and eat under that slightly and away you go natural, healthy and easy weight loss. Dont stress the little stuff some idiots believe
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So it's hard to know what the right amount of sugar is good for your health. Recent studies and info has said no more than 25g. a day!! Do you know how little that is??!!

Was just watching the doctors and they advised drinking no sugar added cranberry juice for heart health. 3 glasses a day is what they recommend. EACH GLASS WOULD BE OVER 30g OF SUGAR EACH!!!

I can never make sense of it all, I want to eat healthy, live long, be strong, but every where you turn are conflicting facts.

Can you post the studies that have said no more than 25g a day?

For a healthy individual, you prob don't have to pay much attention to sugar intake
  • Licialoulou82
    Licialoulou82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204660604574370851517144132.html

http://www.rodale.com/recommended-sugar-intake

The AHA says that fruits shouldn't be counted but isn't fruit juice, lacking fiber, becoming a poster child for unhealthy beverages?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.

I find it concerning that they list X discretionary calories but then place a restriction on how those discretionary calories are used. It would appear to me that they aren't really discretionary after all.
  • Acg67
    Options
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204660604574370851517144132.html

http://www.rodale.com/recommended-sugar-intake

The AHA says that fruits shouldn't be counted but isn't fruit juice, lacking fiber, becoming a poster child for unhealthy beverages?
    As the heart association's statement acknowledges, the science directly linking added sugar consumption to obesity is inconsistent. This in part reflects, the impact of such things as genetics, physical activity and diet have on weight.
    Similarly, research investigating added sugar's impact on blood pressure, heightened inflammation and on changes in blood fats called triglycerides is inconclusive. And there are no studies linking the recommended limits to preventing weight gain or promoting weight loss.
    Instead, Dr. Johnson and her colleagues on the heart association's nutrition committee based the suggestions on the concept of discretionary calories that are part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's dietary guidelines called Mypyramid. Discretionary calories are those allotted to a person beyond what are necessary to consume nutrients essential to a healthy diet while still maintaining a proper weight.

Dr. Johnson said the committee decided that allocating half of the discretionary calories for added sugar was a proper course. More than that risks displacing necessary nutrients with calories from added sugar, she said.

So if you read the article, there really aren't studies that suggest the 25g to to optimal
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've heard you should limit yourself to 100g of added sugar a day. (Source 60 Minutes video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxG3YiBMMZE) 100g a day is TONS if you limit process foods. 25g would be a nice goal, I don't think I could ever meet it because of the amount of fresh fruit I eat in a day but I'm sure I've met that goal as far as added sugars.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If you have time, there is a great video I saw in college called "The Bitter Truth" - it's super lengthy but it breaks down EXACTLY what sugars do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM (it's about 90 minutes long)
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    If you're eating healthy and don't worry about naturally occurring sugar, you shouldn't have any issues staying under.
  • Acg67
    Options
    If you have time, there is a great video I saw in college called "The Bitter Truth" - it's super lengthy but it breaks down EXACTLY what sugars do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM (it's about 90 minutes long)

How did you come to the conclusion the video was "great"?
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm a diabetic and still get a lot of my carbs through sugar - Cottage cheese, tomatoes, yogurt, onions, peppers, zucchini, bread, fruit. I think if you're consuming it with lots of fiber, fats and protein the affect on blood sugar is much less.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    These article just state that you shouldn't eat things loaded with "added sugar" like cookies and sodas. And, yes, juices that is loaded with "added sugar", and most juices do have that, are really bad you for. You shouldn't be drinking too much soda and eating too many cookies.

It's common sense.
  • Acg67
    Options
    These article just state that you shouldn't eat things loaded with "added sugar" like cookies and sodas. And, yes, juices that is loaded with "added sugar", and most juices do have that, are really bad you for. You shouldn't be drinking too much soda and eating too many cookies.

It's common sense.

Agreed, added sugars are so much different metabolically than naturally occurring sugars, that they should be avoided at all costs
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this question. I'm back to this site as of yesterday since a long stetch on another eating plan and when I looked at my totals for the end of the day yesterday, it said I had gone way over the 30g of sugar (as part of carbohydrates) that I was allowed but I really didn't feel like I ate much in terms of sugary foods (an apple, sugar-free pudding cup, nonfat greek vanilla yogurt). I don't actually add sugar to anything I eat (using Splenda even in Kool-Aid) but somehow I still went over the MFP suggested amount. I'd love it if anyone had a link even within MFP that explains the differences in the amounts of sugar we should be eating. I'm terrified of sugar because I can't seem to get enough of it once it's around (in just about any form).
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It's common sense.
    Sadly, common sense seems to be a rare characteristic nowadays.
  • Licialoulou82
    Options
    Wow this attack on "common sense" is a little harsh don't you think?? I am sure that both of you are of superior knowledge and the rest of us idiots just bounce off walls and are lucky we make it through a day.

I asked this question for some better insight being that there is SO MUCH INFORMATION out there, if you believed it ALL, you'd go insane.

Obviously there is a need for understanding and knowledge and marking someone's lack of 'common sense' just makes you look less intelligent. It used to be common sense that being vegetarian meant you didn't get enough protein, not to mention the thousands of other "common sense" ideas about weight loss we have seen over the years.

I thought this sight was for helping others. Most of us are trying to learn how to make lasting changes, saying someone doesn't have 'common sense' is just rude. Period.
  • Licialoulou82
    Options
    Some more sources:
    I have seen on Dr. Oz that you should consume no more than 100 calories of added sugar per day.

I also saw the 25 gram a day of sugar on a morning show, (don't recall which one) but they went so far as to show the tablespoons of sugar as a comparison.

I have seen it in magazines, including Woman's World.

But when I google the information, it's all conflicting and confusing. If it's just added sugar we are counting,does that mean I can just eat massive amounts of fruits all day as long as I'm under my calorie goal???

You may argue "common sense" but I always ask "what would a caveman do?" Well if a caveman came across an huge basket of extra fruit, I'm sure he'd chow down. But we aren't cave men, we aren't even remotely as active and we eat tons of processed foods, so that is why this is confusing, where is the balance? If I were on raw diet, would lots of fruits then be okay, is it ever okay?

Should I be watching naturally occurring sugars also? If not, why does MFP count all the sugars as the same? Why do nutritional labels list them if they do not seem to have the same affect on the body? Obviously it's information you have to research for yourself NOT COMMON SENSE. If it's just watch how much sugar you eat, I think it would be alot easier, but we also need to watch sodium and cholesterol and so on.

I am not male and I am not trying to get a six pack, so my caloric needs are different. I'm not asking someone to tell me to not eat cookies and coke, I don't eat cookies, I don't drink soda, or sweet tea, I use Stevia, the majority of my sugar intake is naturally occurring sugar in fruits and healthy carbs, but now I am trying meal replacement which does have added sugar. But my weightloss has been very slow so I am exploring all the aspects of my diet.

Edit: left out info
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There is so much information out there and it can get quite silly. I think that biggest factor in the whole situation is to use what you already know. You already know that your choices make the biggest difference. Having a piece of fruit vs a cookie would be benefical. Try to stay away from drinking your calories if you are tryin to lose weight. I would rather eat an apple rather than drink apple juice, plus you will not have to worry whether the apple has added sugar or not. Having a balanced diet is key. Getting plenty of green veggies and some fruit is important along with protein. Focus on your calorie intake, where your calories are coming from, drink plenty of water and excerise!
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Fruit sugar, honey, and blackstrap molasses are all examples of "good sugars". Anything else would be "bad sugar".

Also, I <3 your hair color. :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Options

Fruit sugar, honey, and blackstrap molasses are all examples of "good sugars". Anything else would be "bad sugar".

Agreed, things like glucose are "bad"
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Agreed, things like glucose are "bad"
    it depends how your body reacts to it. i find it easier to eliminate it from my diet especially since i have allergic reactions to it in the form of rashes ,and my cravings are lower because of it. but it does make a great post workout food.