Sad: Fat gets a bad rap

Options
lope
lope Posts: 53 Member
My nutritionist is a doctor... yep, he cures people with nutrition! I love him! I can't thank him enough for teaching me to be healthy. I am 10 lbs from goal weight at 54 yrs old. That's not easy to do at my age. I've never felt so good in all my life! I no longer take any meds!

'Our bodies actually prefer fat for energy metabolism, but because of the diet heart hypothesis most people are afraid to eat fat and and therefor resort to eating too much glucose (sugar). Accelerated aging, heart disease, cancer, bone-loss and many other diseases are actually associated with an increase in glucose consumption. Especially when glucose comes from refined, simple and processed foods.' —My doc having a conversation about the importance of fat in one’s diet.

Fat gets a bad rap—but if you know what fats to look for (MCTs, omega-3s, and yes animal fats), and how to consume them (with vegetables and some fruits) then much of the ‘bad’ press fats get goes out the window.

Just sayin'

Replies

• msdivine26
    Options
    Yep, I just started Paleo this week and am trying to wrap my head around the idea that fat = good. It's fun to eat bacon every day though, and stock up on on nuts.
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I first started eating clean... I at lots of nuts & fruit... didn't lose any weight. When I 'fessed up" it was brought to my attention to go easy on the fruits & nuts while in the reduction phrase. I'm excited also to be able to eat bacon. I don't eat it quite so often... it's just great to know I can once I reach my goal weight.

I am truly amazed at how good real food tastes!

Looking forward to some yummy paleo brownies( made with real grassfed butter) this weekend!
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    omg i would love to have a dr like that!!!!! im jealous!
  • socalgirl68
    Options
    I knooowww! I do paleo so I know how good they are!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Fat is good for us ... just make sure it's healthy fat. Much of modern foods is filled with oils like canola, soybean, corn, sunflower and safflower; avoid these. Choose olive oil, expeller coonut oil, butter, and leaf lard (yes, really!). Even better, eating cold water fish like wild salmon; fish oil is very high in omega 3 fats which are best.
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I recently started using coconut oil in my cooking and recipes. Since using it my cooking tastes better, lol! I don't know...it's kinds miraculous when used in carmelizing onions. I probably will never cook with canola again.