Anyone using FitBit with a stationary bike?

Options
Caged_Heat
Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
I rode my bike indoors today after buying a bike trainer. FitBit did not seem to care. :(

Anyone else tried stationary bike riding with a FitBit? I wear my FitBit all the time and would like to keep it on while riding - unless it doesn't do any good. I can always log it in manually.

Thanks!

15800624.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have seen that some people put it on their sock while riding... I personally have not tried that because I do the start/stop timer on my fitbit and manually log it in later.
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I have seen that some people put it on their sock while riding... I personally have not tried that because I do the start/stop timer on my fitbit and manually log it in later.

Thanks! I'll try my sock and see what happens. I had it on my hip as usual.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    I keep it in my pocket and find it tracks close enough, my leg is still moving up and down. Working out without pockets today so I'm wearing it in my sock, I'll let you know how that fairs.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    It's on my body but it's not tracking steps because, well, I'm not taking any. I track my calories with my HRM and create a fitness log on Fitbit.

I would imagine that trying to track calories by having it on my sock while cycling would result in a very inaccurate burn record.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Ok, sitting here in a puddle of sweat after doing 60 minutes on a spin bike plus a 5 minute cool down using a HRM connected to the bikes computer while wearing the fitbit on my right sock. Here are the results.

Calories Burned:
    Bike: 1900
    Fitbit: 1950

Total Steps/RPM
    Bike: 5525 ( Averaged by myself, doing 85 RPM average for 65 minutes in order to maintain my fat burning zone of 124 BPM)
    Fitbit: 5582 (Actual Reading)

Miles
    Bike: 21.4
    Fitbit: 2.86

Stairs:
    Bike: N/A
    Fitbit: 0

Flower:
    Bike: Yeah Right
    Fitbit: Huuuuge

So, in my humble opinion, I find the Fitbit to be very accurate in every aspect but one. This being said it is a pedometer not a cycleometer????...lol...so if I was walking the mileage would probably be very accurate.

There is nothing out there that is going to be 100% accurate but as far as losing weight is concerned the accuracy of the fitbit is more than precise enough for me to feel confident in tracking most of my exercise.

Note: Have used the fitbit on multiple ellipticals, treadmills, now a bike, and have found it to be quite accurate on all.
    Standard MO is to wear it on my hip or front pocket, but nice to see the sock also functions well.

Hope this helps.
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for listing your data. My fitbit will arrive today so I am looking forward to hitting the gym with it. Sounds like I'll go with the sock since about half of my gym time is bike.
  • avierose
    avierose Posts: 2
    Options
    Tried this on my exercise bike today for 10 mins at a gentle pace. I took the tracker out of the wrist strap of my flex and placed in into the sock of my right foot.

The bike reported a calorie burn of 36.8
    Fitbit reported 54 calories

Now my bike isn't anything special (v-fit folding magnetic exercise bike) so is it possible that the bike is underestimating the calorie burn?
  • silver_inca
    silver_inca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i have a turbo trainer and using the fitbit in my sock, it says i burnt 500 calories in 30 mins or moderate cycling, not sure thats true - but would be good!

Today - i put the fit bit on my thigh (on cycle shorts) and says i burnt 280 - i would say the 280 is more accurate :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit's calorie estimate is going to be junk unless you wear it where it's designed to be worn, for an activity it's designed to track (cycling isn't one). If you prefer to see it yourself, wear yours where you're supposed to wear it, walk around the block, note the calorie estimate. Then move it to your shoe or thigh and do it again. Your second calorie estimate will be double or more the first one. You didn't burn any more calories, you just tricked your Fitbit into thinking you're moving more vigorously than you are.
  • BlueMyrtle
    BlueMyrtle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Smokinjackd - what model Fitbit are you using?