FAT GIRL PROBLEM!!! HELP!!!READ THIS NOW!!!

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    @lipsmacking when i put in my weight, that was the calorie ammount i was given because im so heavy. i will eventually work my way down to 1200 calories but this was the calorie count i was given.
    @suckerlove thanks!

For various reasons, I don't think a 1200 calorie daily limit is a great goal by itself. Instead, I suggest you keep as high a calorie level as you can while still steadily approaching your goal weight. As your progress towards it slows/stops, *then* slowly tweak your daily calories down. Ideally, you will reach it while consuming more than 1200 daily.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • Jbearbarnes
    Jbearbarnes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am also new to MFP -- and loving it!! If you check my diary, you will see that I have just honestly recorded what I ate, and am gradually changing my diet. We're a family of poor college students, and don't have $ for "healthy foods" right now ...I've just been eating what's available in my pantry. My fridge is almost void of everything! The carrots and celery are almost gone even!

We had several free food coupons for Burger King, so I have had a lot of that these past few days, but still lost weight!

I'm looking forward to hubby's payday next week, for sure!
  • 76scenic
    76scenic Posts: 22
    Options
    I too am having a similar issue. Sadly there is no exact answer that is universal.

If you watch Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. You will notice on average the women are put on a 1200-1600 calorie per day diet. Then expected to work out 2-4 hours each day. This typically results in a 50% weight reduction in one year's time.

Taking that and apply that with every one of the loosers they eliminated all soda's and 90% of the carbs from the diets. Which isn't all unlike going Gluten Free.

Anyway, most of us are doing good to manage 1 hour workout 3-5 days a week. With that you can eat even less calories to make up the difference. Calorie deficit is what causes weight loss and forces you to start burning the stored fat energy.

In short, it is my understanding that you can burn off every calorie you eat, with exercise, and be just fine. However, to avoid going back into starvation. Try to eat at least 1200 calories per day, even if you burn them all off in the gym.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Taking that and apply that with every one of the loosers they eliminated all soda's and 90% of the carbs from the diets. Which isn't all unlike going Gluten Free.

I have to pipe up here for everyone's sake - gluten free diets are NOT the same as low-carb diets. Gluten Free does not mean low carb or vice versa. Gluten Free foods have become popular because gluten allergies have become a more common diagnosis lately but food companies are using "Gluten Free" to attract dieters despite there being no dietary benefits to eating a Gluten Free diet. It is the work of advertising, marketing and packaging that is leading people to believe that a Gluten Free diet is a healthy diet but in truth there is no reason to eat Gluten Free products unless you have an allergy.
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I Started MFP at over 300 calories. I stated that I wanted to lose 2lbs a week. MFP told me I could have 1600 calories a day. No fair you get more! :wink: Now MFP has cut me even further, which is proving hard to get used to.

I found that planning out your menu helps you be aware of what you are eating. Now is the perfect time to replace unhealthy foods with healthier choices. Low calorie doesn't always mean healthy. Good luck with your journey. I know you can do it.
  • jenneal89
    jenneal89 Posts: 243
    Options
    I came in here expecting you to ask wheres the caps lock
    When she finds it, then maybe she can guide you to the apostrophe key.

Hahahaha love it!
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

I just want to say, this is the way to create a post! When someone says "READ THIS NOW" I'm helpless not too. The power of suggestion--it gets me. If everyone put that in the title of their thread, I'd never be able to do anything but read posts!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I can't live w/o carbs.......I'd pass out in the middle of one of my marathons. :laugh:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-pinkie-gun.jpg
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I came in here expecting you to ask wheres the caps lock
    When she finds it, then maybe she can guide you to the apostrophe key.

heh, cute catch.

to the OP: really, I wouldn't worry about it much. 2400 calories is a lot of food if you make the bulk of your food choices from unprocessed / unpackaged foods. (you might process them a bit yourself, but not by way of a drive thru, you know?)

so relax. you're gonna be fine. drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fiber-rich foods. keep an eye on your fiber count for this reason alone: many processed foods remove the fiber and replace it with preservatives. fibers degrade too quickly for shelf stability. by keeping your fiber up you're learning to be cognizant of your food, you're certain to be eating more fresh foods and as a bonus, fiber (both soluble & insoluble) flushes out toxins. but don't forget to drink water as you up your fiber because you need the water to help push everything out.

best of luck!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I can't live w/o carbs.......I'd pass out in the middle of one of my marathons. :laugh:

plenty of carbs in whole foods.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Tumblr_lo1j33xcxo1qafrh6.gif
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Read labels of EVERYTHING before you buy it :) It will become a good habit :)

Clean out your pantry and refrigerator from foods that are against you :) get rid of high calorie, low nutrition foods :)
    Cook all your meals yourself. It's a pain in the butt sometimes, but very worth it at the end.
    Adapt recipes and replace high calorie ingredients. For example, if you make an omelet use egg substitute instead of the whole egg. Use cooking spray (a lot of them have ZERO calorie). Cut out sneaky calories like coffee creamer for example.
    Don't drink your calories (sodas, juices, etc...) drink lots of water instead :)
    Fiber is your friend :) fruits and vegetables are your friends :)
    Good luck in your journey! You can do it :)
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try adding delicious avocado, nuts, and peanut butter to your diet. All have healthy fats and will help you reach your calorie goal.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    ThisThreadjustbecame20cooler.jpg
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    People will inevitably give you problems for eating what you should eat because a lot of people don't understand how us BIG girls would ever want to eat that much.

I had the exact same problem. I was diagnosed anorexic because I ate too little most of the time then I'd eventually binged, which made my weight balloon.

MFP first estimated my calorie intake (started at 6'1", 458lbs) at 2800+ calories. With exercise, I would regularly get up over 4k for suggested intake. I ate under this thinking, that can't be right, and it worked for about 11lbs... and then I stalled. it wasn't until I upped my calories that I was able to fuel my workouts and start losing again.
    Eventually, I bought a BodyMedia Fit Link to monitor my calorie burn 24/7. My daily TDEE is about 3390 without a workout. I took this number minus 1k to set my MFP calorie limits. I started losing 2-3lbs every 6 days or so.

Anyway, my point is, there are some of us that really do have this problem. I have not been logging lately but if you go back in my diary, you'll see how I managed to hit these numbers. It had a lot to do with proteins and carbs, added fats, etc. I got there by forcing myself to eat something every 2 hours. Before anyone jumps on me for "forcing" it... Those of us that get this big got there by not paying attention to our needs. After maybe 3 days of feeling stuffed, I became ravenous and started dropping weight like crazy.

You can add me if you like, and I'll try to help as much as I can as I'm recovering from some medical issues.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I found my TDEE at my goal weight, and am using that for my current calories. I have to watch my fat, as I had a heart attack earlier this year (I'm 28), so I keep at 2100 calories and 70g fat per day. I eat regular food, generally speaking - nothing spectacularly special most days, but inevitably healthier because of my portion size and modification to keep the fat down.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    images-3.jpg
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    2akgpqq.jpg
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I weighed 337 when I started MFP. It told me 1650 to lose 2 pounds per week. I have it set to 1 pound a week now and it gives me 1900 (now I weigh 264) so, probably between 1600 and 2400 would be fine. I stick with chicken and steamed veggies a lot. All my breads and grains are whole wheat or whole grain. I switched from regular milk to Silk Light for things like cereal. You can send me a friend request if you like. I'll help all I can =)