How do you calculate TDEE?

Options
So I've been reading some info and it's talks about how important it is to know your TDEE but doesn't say how I calculate it. Help please! Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• twosteps
    twosteps Posts: 39
    Options
    There is a thread here, which someone posted as a reply to my topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

However I am finding it hard to swallow, seems too many calories for me!

Best of luck! x
  • jenneal89
    jenneal89 Posts: 243
    Options
    There is a thread here, which someone posted as a reply to my topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

However I am finding it hard to swallow, seems too many calories for me!

Best of luck! x

Thanks, I was actually just reading that but unless I overlooked it, I couldn't find where it told you how to calculate it
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iphone? I downloaded a free app called fitness nut and it figures out your TDEE for you-other than that, I used to search google or yahoo for TDEE and it'd bring up sites where it'd figure it out
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Do you have an iphone? I downloaded a free app called fitness nut and it figures out your TDEE for you-other than that, I used to search google or yahoo for TDEE and it'd bring up sites where it'd figure it out

Ok thanks!
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    fit-fatradio.com ... it has everything
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Ok, so it asks for how active I am (sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, etc) and not sure what to put. I do p90x 6 days a week and one day I do stretching. Sometimes I do 2 p90x work outs but that's only like 2x per week. I'm a stay at home mom with an active 20 month old and I clean, cook etc. some tv watching but not a lot. Would that be lightly active, moderately active? Sorry for so many questions
  • ashtonvv
    Options
    I would put light or moderate.. it's your lifestyle without the workouts.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    I would put light or moderate.. it's your lifestyle without the workouts.

Thanks so much! I've been on here for ages and never knew about this stuff until I started reading forum posts
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ok, so it asks for how active I am (sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, etc) and not sure what to put. I do p90x 6 days a week and one day I do stretching. Sometimes I do 2 p90x work outs but that's only like 2x per week. I'm a stay at home mom with an active 20 month old and I clean, cook etc. some tv watching but not a lot. Would that be lightly active, moderately active? Sorry for so many questions

You do P90X 6 days a week and somedays 2 x's a day??? You are very active!! It's not asking what you do without the workouts! They are part of your daily activity! You need fuel to keep those workouts going. You have to include those. But I have to ask you a question?? On what days are you resting your body???? You should be doing those maybe twice a week at most. On the other days do some strength training. and rest up!!
  • ashtonvv
    Options
    The workouts will be taken off her intake if she does them that day. If she sets her TDEE for high activity and misses say 2-3 workouts a week, that sets her up to be over her calories by "x" amount that day.

Personal choice I guess. But your TDEE should be the least amount of activity you do, like if you were to stay in bed all day.
  • jenneal89
    Options

You do P90X 6 days a week and somedays 2 x's a day??? You are very active!! It's not asking what you do without the workouts! They are part of your daily activity! You need fuel to keep those workouts going. You have to include those. But I have to ask you a question?? On what days are you resting your body???? You should be doing those maybe twice a week at most. On the other days do some strength training. and rest up!!

I follow the schedule. It says to do it every day and one of those days is a rest day/stretching day. My average week looks something like this:

Monday- core synergistics
    Tuesday- cardio x
    Wednesday- chest, shoulders & triceps, ab ripper X (depending on what week you're on it changes but it's strength training)
    Thursday- yoga x
    Friday- legs & back, ab ripper x
    Saturday- kenpo x
    Sunday- x stretch

If I'm feeling pumped a couple of days I might add in another cardio x session or Plyometrics
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Personal choice I guess. But your TDEE should be the least amount of activity you do, like if you were to stay in bed all day.

You're BMR is what it would be if you stay in bed all day. Although I do agree with your point about what if I miss a day
  • ashtonvv
    Options

You're BMR is what it would be if you stay in bed all day. Although I do agree with your point about what if I miss a day

I guess I should have been more clear in my OP, When I did my numbers when I first started here, I over estimated how active I was... big fail.

So I just adjusted things to low-moderate activity levels, in the event that I missed a day, or whatever. It's been working for me so far.

You do seem overly active though, with that activity level you can be on a pretty high calorie diet and still be perfectly fine!
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I follow the schedule. It says to do it every day and one of those days is a rest day/stretching day. My average week looks something like this:

Monday- core synergistics
    Tuesday- cardio x
    Wednesday- chest, shoulders & triceps, ab ripper X (depending on what week you're on it changes but it's strength training)
    Thursday- yoga x
    Friday- legs & back, ab ripper x
    Saturday- kenpo x
    Sunday- x stretch

If I'm feeling pumped a couple of days I might add in another cardio x session or Plyometrics

Thats a lot of working out!! Good for you!! You are clearly working out 6 days a week as you said. If so, you are very active (5-6 days a week) and should be using that TDEE minus 20% = total calories consumed each day. If you are going to change the activity level, then adjust accordingly. As long as you are giving your body days for rest (which is very very important), then you will become more fit. Make sure you eat everyday, those same calories. Your body will burn on days you are less active, but it will still show deficit.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    [/quote]

Thats a lot of working out!! Good for you!! You are clearly working out 6 days a week as you said. If so, you are very active (5-6 days a week) and should be using that TDEE minus 20% = total calories consumed each day. If you are going to change the activity level, then adjust accordingly. As long as you are giving your body days for rest (which is very very important), then you will become more fit. Make sure you eat everyday, those same calories. Your body will burn on days you are less active, but it will still show deficit.
    [/quote]

Ok :)

Thanks a bunch everyone