obese and running

Options
I would like to know if there are any obese or overweight people that run 5-7 days a week? How much did you weigh when you started giving running a try? I have the urge to run but i dont think my body can take it yet. I did try it today and it felt good but i didnt push too hard. Im 6 foot tall and 248 pounds.

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I run 5 times a week. (I can't really see why anyone would need or want to run 7.) I started the couch 2 5k programme in Sept or Oct last year. I now run 35+ miles a week.

What makes you think your body can't 'take it'? And what was the 'it' you were trying to make it do? (How did you tackle your first running session?)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and am about to run my second half marathon on Sunday. And there are women bigger than me at every race I've been in, many of whom have passed me.

As long as you train properly and take care of yourself, you should be fine.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I started running at just over 200 pounds - but I've never run 7 days a week, I don't think that's necessary or very smart for anyone unless you have a very specific reason to do it.
    I'd suggest that you start running whenever you feel good doing it, but alternate it with some other forms of exercise so your body gets a break from the running.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and am about to run my second half marathon on Sunday. And there are women bigger than me at every race I've been in, many of whom have passed me.

As long as you train properly and take care of yourself, you should be fine.

So true. Many of the runners at marathons I've been in appear to be overweight - thousands of people - but that doesn't seem to stop them! I often get passed up by heavier people than me. I also get passed by elderly people. That's ok, though, I can handle it. I'm great with endurance, so I can run forever, but I've always been a slowpoke. Been working on pace lately, though. If you want to run, just do it! :drinker:
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Start out walking then speed walking. then jogging and into running. I am only speedwalking now because I am afraid of a heart attack lol Oh and jog in place at home.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...but I've never run 7 days a week, I don't think that's necessary or very smart...alternate it with some other forms of exercise so your body gets a break from the running.

^This. Overtraining almost assures you of getting injuries. Some of those injuries can be debilitating and take months to heal. Be careful!
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am currently 220lbs, but have been running since I was 235lbs (I am 5' 3.5"). I will be doing a 10k on October 7th. Take things slowly and enjoy the improvements. I went from very slow 18 minutes per mile to 14:45 minutes per mile in 6 weeks. Wishing you all the best with it. Incidentally I train 4-5 days per week.
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K program so I ran three times a week and I was 224lbs!! just have to start out slow and build up to it! :-)
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You might want to try power walking instead of running? Personally my knees wouldn't take it at 220 lbs and at a bit over 200 at the moment they still arn't that happy. Running on grass/mud will lessen the impact and get some decent running shoes if you are going to do it
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was obese when I started the C25K programme and merely overweight when I finished but I wouldn't recommend running more than 3 times a week. Your muscles need time to recover and your joints are taking quite a pounding with the extra weight. Try a low impact exercise - I cycle to work which is 30 minutes twice daily - on the days you're not running.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You might want to try power walking instead of running? Personally my knees wouldn't take it at 220 lbs and at a bit over 200 at the moment they still arn't that happy. Running on grass/mud will lessen the impact and get some decent running shoes if you are going to do it

Have you ever run at 220lb? (Your ticker suggests you've never been that heavy?)
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Have you ever run at 220lb? (Your ticker suggests you've never been that heavy?)

There was a life before the ticker.. anyway my knees ached just from walking and the odd time I had to run for a bus. I'm just saying don't go hurting yourself permanently. Everyone is different so you might be fine.
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was around 220ish when I started couch to 5k. I say go for it, I ran about 3-5 times a week.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting it... my body let me "know" that it wanted to run... I kept finding myself wanting to try it. So? I decided I'd try. I'm working on C25K... and, I am happy that I'm doing it. I can't say that I am "running" so much as I am jogging/walking. But... I'm attempting and that's all that matters. LOL.

Plus?!? I'm a whole lot heavier than you are and shorter... so, if I can - you probably can too. Don't let anyone else tell you that you can't - especially if YOUR body is telling you that you can. Try it out - casually, slowly to start. Get a good pair of shoes - that's what made the biggest difference for me (Thanks Meerkat70!!). Listen to your body and see how it goes! Keep us up to date... and GOOD LUCK!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I was about 235 a few years ago when I started running (I'm just under 5'10") but I've never run more than 5 days a week (4 days most weeks).

Best suggestion I can offer is to approach it conservatively, most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast and gradually build up your fitness. Don't neglect cross training (strength, biking, rowing, swimming etc) . Strength helps a lot in terms of injury prevention and overall fitness.

Have fun!
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I want to run... So badly...
    Last winter I started a modified c25k ... Starting with 15 second increments.... Developed shin splints so badly that I thought I was dying... Took the summer off (from running not exercise)... Tried to start again this week...

My foot is up and iced... Insane pain... Almost couldn't work... Possible stress fracture... Possible ligament injury... We don't know...

Doc said maybe I should wait fifty more pounds...

But damn it I want to run
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I started the c25K program when I was about 285lbs (I'm 5'8.5). I've read so many posts on here where people say you shouldn't run when you're that heavy because your poor knees. Think of your knees! And I admit, I used to have pretty bad knee issues. They used to ache all the time. Now, they don't bother me. Losing weight, running and strength training has done wonders for my health.

So, if you want to run, give it a shot. The couch to 5K program is awesome and there are a lot of apps out there that you can download to your phone. Personally, I only run 3-4 days per week. And, definitely go to a running store to get fitted for shoes. It will be a great investment and your knees, shins and ankles will thank you!
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    OMG another 6'0" girl!!! I'm finding all of my long lost sisters on here! LMAO!!! :-) Howdy from another Amazon! Well I've always heard to "power walk" until you aren't overweight anymore because of the strain on the joints. Even when I was very very thin, I was still always injuring my ankle and knee from the long distance running I was doing. It's very hard on your body, but I loved it and hope I can get back into it myself...........
  • StevenV84
    Options
    When I was 310 lbs, I used to run a lot, but it takes a toll on your knees. I would run 4-5 times a week and there were times I could barely walk. I would suggest running one or two times a week until you lose a little weight, and throw in some elliptical or cycling to give your knees a break.
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am currently 284 and I am doing the C25K program. I am jogging...not fast or hard but I am doing it. My knees were sore the first couple of days but not hurting sore...like my muscles are sore after a new workout