Help! Diet on a budget

Options
Hey guys,

So I'm 21 and live with my parents on a very tight budget. What i eat, they have to eat too, since it is their money.I'd like to eat right of course, but my wallet is strung tight.

Are there any healthy foods that won't break the bank?
Organic stuff can get kind of expensive.

Instead of buying a crap ton of healthy food I was thinking:

Lots of fresh veggies ( as they are cheap by the pound)- asparagus, sugar snap peas, some beans,etc
Little bit of fruit
Chicken ( boneless skinless)
Some salad
Oatmeal ( WHICH KIND SHOULD I GET?/ WHAT TOPPINGS)
Almonds or some type of insulted nutsh
Tuna
And some like spinach tortillas for some wraps

Will that still be "healthy" enough to lose weight? Thank you :)

Replies

• TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am dirt poor. Seriously about 90% of my caloric intake comes from chicken breast. I buy them in big bags and they can last a good while. Prices vary so I can't say how much. But it's affordable. I am also open to some healthier eating options on a low budget.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Buy produce that's in season because it's usually cheaper. For example, strawberries and squash are very cheap right now. In winter strawberries/blueberries are expensive. Personally, I don't buy organic because it's usually too expensive, but if it's in season it's usually cheap.

For oatmeal, you can grab a big can of quick oats very cheap and add in your own cinnamon, sometimes I add in pieces of apple.

Beans are also cheap and you can use them in different meals.

Personally, I do not buy meat, I don't eat it, and that saves a lot of money.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to come back to this.

I try to buy lots of stuff on sale. That's my biggest thing. Otherwise I stick to lots of the cheaper vegetables (cabbage, carrots, onions, potatoes) and apples and bananas mainly for fruit. Sometimes buy oranges for my lunches but not often. I always have yogurt because I make my own. If you search for a good plain yogurt that would be great to have with fruit or added to oatmeal. I like sweetening it with a bit of jam (boyfriend got homemade jam a little while ago and I find it waay too sweet to eat on toast but it balances out nicely with a tart plain yogurt)
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat those things and still lose weight, just stay in your calorie limits.

If you can get fresh vegies or fruit locally that will help your budget. Look into your local area and see if they have a program set up for "Bountiful Baskets"

I do buy organic bananas because the others just do not taste good. The other stuff varies on wether prices are right or not.

Dried beans are a fantastic start. I love split peas or Lentils too. Rice is something that has become quite a staple for me.

I hope some of those are helpful for you.
  • stagegoddess
    stagegoddess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    use coupons! i save a few hundred in groceries every month---ralphs/kroger even gives me coupons for free items bc i buy them a lot. watch extreme couponing and ignore the crazy but pick up the lessons/hints.

i live in ag country with fields in every direction so produce is never a problem for me, but i do buy frozen veggies (way healthier/tastier than canned) and try to sneak them into everything i eat.

i like yoplait lights for my dairy--usually less than 50cents each and only 90 calories.

but yeah check out your local grocery stores website for online coupons or shortcuts.com for digital/printable coupons. it really really helps!

good luck
  • _725
    _725 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm on a pretty tight budget too and you pretty much just posted my grocery list every week haha. it works for me! good luck!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    check to see if your area offers bountifulbasket.org great prices baskets of veggies and less than 20 bucks! it is like a co op. This time of year go to farmers markets. In the winter look into frozen veg. Chicken breast and such and coupons. We don't have a lot of money either but we budget in for fruit and such. Costco is also another great option!
  • malvez
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
    Very helpful tips
    :)
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yep that should be fine. I don't do meat either. Farmers markets may or may not be cheaper, but you can support the local guys, and the food usually tastes like what it's supposed to be. :)
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Also, do you have a Trader Joe's near you? I think they're usually very reasonable and they have good food.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of budget recipe website online (i've used budget bytes). USDA also has one. It tells the cost of the recipe as well as breaks it down price per serving (obviously prices will vary based on the prices in your area). The recipes i have seen always looked like there were pretty healthy.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I rarely buy organic, you can't always trust that organic label and it is so much more expensive. I do buy bulk chicken and cook some up and pre-chop it so it is easier to add to things quicker. I forget if you put down eggs, good protein, low price.
  • MamaWalkingBear
    MamaWalkingBear Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I ad watch and we eat what whole foods are on sale, meat, dairy, fruits and veggies. We also buy in season. On the oatmeal, I get instant or quick oats, plain, just the large cylinder. When I get home, I split it into portions 1/2 cup oats, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp raisins. We add sweetner after we microwave it with a cup of water. I use sugar free sweetners, since I'm diabetic. My sister prefers a bit of honey.

One thing everyone loves is roasted veggies. Carrots and onion roasted are really easy. I've also done sweet potatoes and russets.

Good luck!!
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I made chicken fried rice for dinner tonight. It will last three meals. It includes one each whole red/green/yellow pepper(s), one red onion, 120 grams of sliced mushrooms, 500grams chicken breast and 1kilo of basmati rice. It's spiced up with kickin chicken, garlic salt, ground black pepper, soya sauce, Worcestershire sauce and chilli. You can have it with the sliced egg omelet or not. I have it as 6 portions which means that three meals for under $10. I use the recipe option to tweak my recipe to keep it accurate. This time it had 513 calories per serve. That equals one large bowl of deliciousness.

There are options. Just have to look for them.
  • SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try to buy in sale, go for veggie which contain lots of vitamins. prepare fresh juice at home.
  • ennysmith
    Options
    I also buy a vegetables & fruits according to my tight budget.thanks for all you by giving tips.
  • nangel4u
    Options
    All the foods you have listed are really healthy to me and I am on the same page as you as far as not being able to buy the fresh fruits and veggies at a local market and buying organic foods!!!! There would be no way that I could have lost the weight if I had to eat "healthy everyday" Portion sizes is what I do and I do tend to hit the drive thru about 3 times a weeks and thats what I have to do to survive so whatever!!! I have no shame and I just eat my bmr or a little more ;-)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I am also on a budget due to just moving into a place with my boyfriend and us practically being paycheck to paycheck because of rent and utilities. I like to shop the sales... Like right now Safeway has corn 6/$1.00
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    Sounds really healthy but don't forget to factor in a carb...pasta or potatoes or something as most people can't do without. I'd go healthy route and try to some sweet potatoes or yams. Zucchini and brocolli go a long way on a budget and heat up very well even in a microwave for left overs.

Bananas, strawberries, and plums seems to be the best fruits that last longest for your dollar. Good luck!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    First off you can eat crap and lose weight. You can eat healthy foods and gain weight. It boils down to how many calories you are eating. Healthy foods will make you feel full longer and make it easier to keep the calories low.