Does anyone have a Healthier Banana Bread Recipe?

Options
I have the perfect banana's to make banana bread however all the recipes i find are not really that healthy. Does anyone have any great recipes? thanks in advance.

Replies

• MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • JeNaKizz
    JeNaKizz Posts: 19
    Options
    I know this is not a bread recipe that I have, but if you dont want to waste your bananas, you can make these banana pancakes

One ripe banana
    2 eggs or just the egg whites

Mash bananas and combine til its a batter, then throw it on a pan with olive oil or pam cooking spray and fry them like pancakes.
    Its real good and sweet =)
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Now that sounds like a really good idea...what do you put on it after? like jam syrup or nothing i may try this
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    take your existing banana bread recipe... substitute either apple sauce or canned pumpkin for any and all oil it calls for... in equal amounts... replace 1/2 cup of oil with 1/2 cup of apple sauce or canned pumpkin... replace 1 cup of oil with 1 cup of either...

oil = either vegetable oil, butter, shortening, whatever it is the recipe calls for for that family of ingredients.
    That cuts you down from 1600 calories for 1 cup of butter to 140 calories for 1 cup of apple sauce or 105 calories for 1 cup of pumpkin.
  • astina2727
    Options
    Thats a great tip thanks do you think that would work with greek plain yogurt
  • JeNaKizz
    JeNaKizz Posts: 19
    Options
    Now that sounds like a really good idea...what do you put on it after? like jam syrup or nothing i may try this

Actually its already sweet enough cause the bananas are ripe but I like to top mines with peanut butter or almond butter =)
  • astina2727
    Options
    Awesome I may do this for breakfast tomorrow (:
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a great one I just made last week :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/makeover-banana-nut-bread-3-pts.html
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try that applesauce/canned pumpkin replacement. I use mostly whole wheat flour instead of the white flour it calls for too. It tastes a bit different, but everyone that ate it liked it.
  • astina2727
    Options
    You guys are awesome thank you so much
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I just found this yesterday so I haven't made them yet: http://travisjessjones.blogspot.com/2012/03/banana-oatmeal-muffins.html
  • astina2727
    Options
    Okay that sounds really good and not to bad for you...thank you so much everyone.
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I dont have the exact recipe on me right now...I eyeball it.
    These are basically the ingredients.....

3 or 4 very ripe almost brown bananas
    i use unsweetened apple sauce instead of oil or butter
    Eggs....maybe...for more "wet ingredient" I throw in some yougurt...any flavour I have kicking around
    Some cinnamon ...yum!
    then I think its 2.5 cups of flour and the usual baking soda/powder.
    Stevia or sugar...1 cupish

sometimes I throw in some blueberries or if its for the kds I throw in chocolate chips...just a few

Its really yummmy.
    Bake at 350 for 45 - 55 minutes if using a loaf pan...or eyeball it if making muffins.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    by healthy, do you mean low calorie? i don't have a low calorie recipe but i have an awesome low carb/high protein recipe.

http://comfybelly.com/2008/12/banana-bread/

this is a great website if you want to start looking into a whole foods type of eating style. there are no refined sugars or refined white flours in any of the recipes. almond flour is a perfect substitute for white flour...dense and packed with protein, low in carbs, high in healthy fats but definitely not low in calories.

good luck!
  • robism
    robism Posts: 6
    Options
    all kinds of great protein recipies on www.flawlessscience.com under the recipies tab :smile:
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So many options to try!
  • astina2727
    Options
    I know I can't wait i think i am going to try all of them....going to be a baking fool tomorrow. lol
  • ogriffix
    Options
    Use in a smoothie.
  • ogriffix
    Options
    They can also be peeled and frozen in ziplock bags
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I just had apple pancakes the other day, instead of layering on butter...I added a small layer of peanut butter and sugar free syrup, im sure that would taste excellent with banana pancakes...