Hi, I meed help lossing weight.

Options
Hi, my name is Cheryl,

I'm a 44 year old housewife. I live a sedentary lifestyle. I have two bad knees and a bad back, I have trouble standing long enough to work longer then 2 to 3 hours. I have trouble standing at home also, I can barely stand long enough too load the dishwasher, or cook dinner half the time.

I am trying to watch calories and count carbs, is there an easier way to do this?

Replies

• ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    Make sure you are eating healthy whole foods.

Try Qi Gong www.healingarts.com with Lee Holden

Leslie Sansones Walk at Home and Walk Away the Pounds dvd's are great when you are just starting out. You can get them on amazon or target for 12 bucks.

Do you have a pool close by? Swimming is great and low impact!

What do your calories look like?
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There's no easier way to get if off and keep it off. This site helps a lot! If you use MFP wisely you can get the weight off. You can send me a friend request. Good luck!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sorry you are in so much pain. Make sure to drink your water and I think fish oil is very important too for your joints. If you opened you diary we might be able to help you with some of your food choices too. =)
  • Fit_For_A_Queen
    Options
    No. Not unless you can come up with some magic wand. Having gained and lost 100#+, 4 times.... Using mfp is the best thing to come along since massage and pedicures.

The weight didn't get there overnight and it sure isn't going to come off over night. Its a process not an event. Everytime I have lost my weight in the past, I considered it to be an event. Today I realize that its a process and I am in it for the long haul.

Keep your eyes focused on the target and use mfp to your advantage. Its easy when you finally accept that this is the way of your life for the rest of your life..

Hope that helps. There is no quick fix.

Sending positive thoughts your way.
    Jaqui
  • sladeuk
    sladeuk Posts: 3
    Options
    hi i dont have problem with knees or back but found it hard to loose the weight and keep it off. hoping the MFP will help this time as friends can see it coming off and bad weeks it going bk on but hopefully this time its off to stay.

add me if u wish for a bit of support
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

Please watch this^^ anything is possible
    you can swim and do yoga:flowerforyou:
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I'm here to say...If I can do it anyone can!! I had lost the last of my weight not doing more then some walking.
    70% of weightloss is diet!! I stopped drinking diet coke. I stopped eating anything processed...yes all of it!
    No fast foods, no premade foods. Everything fresh & healthy! It was hard the first week, but now it's so easy. I notice I really love the flavors of the food. Without all the fat, sugar & sodium....you really taste all the yummy flavors!!

I hope you find this helpful.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

Please watch this^^ anything is possible
    you can swim and do yoga:flowerforyou:

Any time I start to doubt that I can do do this I watch this. You can do anything you put your mind to, just don't give up!
  • cherylhunter68
    Options
    Thank you yo all of you who have replied, I start physical therapy for my back on the 9th and it is aquatic therapyso I am hoping to start losing some weight then, I got in contact with a personal trainer at the fitness center where my husband works about getting started on an exercize program, but she said that I have to wait til I have finished PT because they don't want to have me doing something that will put my progess back. Once I start PT I will go to the fitness center to see about getting started in a water arobics class.

Thanks for all your posts.
  • cherylhunter68
    Options
    Since my last post, I've managed to gain 7 pounds instead of losing it. I only have 2 physical therapy sessions left, then I will start at the fitness center. Plus I start going back to college on the 20th, after not being in school since 2001.
  • cherylhunter68
    Options
    Well I've stated back to school now, I have 4 classes, one of which is an online class, I've started staying at the school to study since I get distracted sitting at home. I get tempted to turn the tv on and not do my reading. I've done so much reading in the last2weeks, that I dipper if I can read anymore. When I leave class, I walk to the student lounge to study, and I have been walking more, but I've also been hurting more, hopefully once I get used to walking and being more active, that I won't hurt as much.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're hanging in there; I hope the pain will start subsiding for you soon or at least that you'll notice some other improvement!
  • CherylBTT
    Options
    Hi Cheryl my name is Cheryl also, I can help and we can do this together...I'm soon to be 48 with bad back and knees to. So if it's not to late come on and join me in this journey I have 53 lbs to lose and I brought my sister along and she brought her husband.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining then you should probably determine if you food intake is really what you think it is or if your exercise output is really what you think it is. Without having your diary open it will be difficult for anyone to help you out. For food, buy a food scale. Weigh/Measure. For exercise, get an HRM or FitBit.

Last but not least, did you see that Youtube video? That story is simply amazing. If that man, who started out unable to walk on his own, could do those exercises, you should be able to as well. No excuses. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Hope you are able to figure out what is going on and I hope that the PT fixed you (as much as they were able at least). I'm also going through PT right now and I'm restricted to lower body exercises only but I'm still working out and doing what i can.

Good luck!
  • deegee44
    deegee44 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    KEEP USING THIS SITE!!! last year I lost 28lbs, I joined a weight loss club which had a site like this. Everyday without fail, I logged what I ate, this helped me to keep track of what I was eating and calories etc. As soon as I stopped going to the club and more importantly, as soon as I stopped logging my daily intake, the pounds started creeping on.
    I have put back on most of the weight. Like you I am 44 years old, bad back and knee, hence lack of exercise. catch 22 situation.
    But as someone posted, swimming is a brilliant exercise for the likes of us.
    I found out about this site today via a friend and I am so excited to start again.
    Stay focused and keep logging your daily intake.
    Good luck
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, only I can't stand long enough to get up. Well used to. 5min limit of sitting or standing was it for me. 2 bad knees, and a few bad discs in the lower back have made it so I can never work a hard job again. Actually all I can ever do is a desk job & I refuse to do so because it WOULD kill me, mentally....plus sitting down all day would not be happening.

Start with the food, get that part down. Weight will come off if you are eating good & eating less than you were. Then just walk, I know it will be hard. I know it will hurt. But you have to start somewhere.

I started with walking, just 3km a day for me. I would be sore for days. Now 6 months later I am running 7+ km, doing Zumba & all sorts of things that my Drs would scold me for doing. They don't know I'm doing it, nor am I telling them. They think I'm just walking it off. 25kg in 6 months (56lbs) of walking it off hahaha. Anyway, start small.... then get bigger & harder.

You know your limit, push a little past it.
  • mechristina
    Options
    Knee pain usually results from:

Overuse
    Poor form during physical activity
    Not warming up or cooling down
    Not enough stretching
    Simple causes of knee pain often clear up on their own with self care. Being overweight can put you at greater risk for knee problems.

Rest and avoid activities that aggravate your pain, especially weight bearing activities.
    Apply ice. First, apply it every hour for up to 15 minutes. After the first day, apply it at least four times per day.
    Keep your knee raised as much as possible to bring any swelling down.
    Wear an ace bandage or elastic sleeve, which you can buy at most pharmacies. This may reduce swelling and provide support.
    Take acetaminophen for pain or ibuprofen for pain and swelling.
    Sleep with a pillow underneath or between your knees.

Increase your activity level slowly over time. For example, when you begin exercising again, walk rather than run.
    Always warm up before exercising and cool down afterward. Stretch your quadriceps and hamstrings.
    Replace your sports shoes often. Get good advice about proper footwear for your foot shape and mechanics. For example, if you land on the outside of your heel and turn your foot inward when you walk (pronate), consider anti-pronation footwear.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    your determination to change your lifestyle needs to be so much stronger than the will to remain in your current lifestyle.

sadly, nobody can do this for you. you need to work out what your motivation is. for me, i wanted to get fitter so that i live to see my kids have kids. when it hurt, or i wanted that cake, i used to think about why i wanted this. and my want to do this to be a better mum for my kids was stronger than my want to eat pie.

i think it sounds like you need to properly track what you're eating, and how many servings. i didn't realise how much i actually consumed until i wrote it all down, and looked at the tins about how many servings in a can. did you know that a tin of baked beans is 4 serves? and 1 tin has the entire days allowance of sodium in it? you are obviously eating more than you are burning, otherwise you wouldn't have gained weight. i suggest that you start just by spending the next week eating normally, but HONESTLY tracking your diet. there is no point lying to MFP, because you're only sabotaging yourself. and you need to STOP making excuses, and find ways around the challenges. there is always a way.

good luck. i hope that helps :-)