Nightshift schedule, need help figuring this out!!!!

Options
So I work the nightshift 8p-8a usually 3 days a week, not always the same days. Because my husband works full time as well, I am with our 3 year old daughter most of the time, which means my sleep schedule is pretty messed up. I usually sleep around 8 hours on nights I'm not working, but when I am working I am up most of the previous day and don't always get to sleep the following day for very long.

I just can't figure out how I should be scheduling my eating! I can't do a 12hour shift without eating anything as I get foggy-headed and weak. And there are times when I will only get a couple of hours of sleep in a 36 hours period. Overall I feel pretty well rested most of the time, as my body has adjusted to this crazy schedule!

So if I know I'm going to be up the majority of 36 hours, how often should I be eating and what? Maybe if I was able to graze on raw foods most of that time? With proteins mixed in? Need some insight!

Replies

• sanjobie
    Options
    Try doing a noon to noon schedule for logging your food?
  • cciciotti
    cciciotti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I Have been working overnights and sleeping when I can with my 8mo old son, while my husband is at work. I work an 8hr over night, so I usually bring a protein shake and greek yogurt/oats or chicken/brown rice. I have been following the bodybuilding.com find a plan and my weight has been dropping steady everyday. I still eat same amount throughout the day, just in really small meals and spread out every 2-3hrs I eat. Hope this helps!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you can change the names of your meals in settings, and do it in time blocks. i work night shift a lot, and even if i eat something at 2am, i'll log it for that day, but really i know it's for the day before.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    remember, your body works more on a week-to-week basis, rather then daily.
  • wclassy
    wclassy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I fall into a similar pattern as I have split sleeping hours 4 and 4.. Which makes it difficult to know when the day starts and ends.., I been trying to lose weight, and it seems I've gone from one extreme of eating all my favorites to "Diet mode".. cutting carbs, and (meat),fat...which seems to be my weakness, so since I can't eat my favorites...I'm falling way below my min. calories, so my body thinks I'm starving (not really)....Guess I don't feel hungry if I can't eat my favorites.... so 18 days down the drain since joining. I think I'm work out my diet plan that I can live with and hopefully drop my extra weight. ...instead of winging it. So if anyone has any advice, or tips...Id appreciate it too! :happy:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work nights 11pm-7am. On days I work I just split up my food dairy to show for @ work and @ home. I don't worry too much about meal timing or breakfast /dinner type foods. If I want oatmeal at 2AM while at work, then as long as it's allowable in my goals, that is what I have. I aim for my calorie intake and hit my macros every day.
  • 4Elyse2012
    4Elyse2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's nice to know there are others out there struggling with this! I do think that I do better when I do as lacroyx says and just stay within my calorie goals. I know that it does matter to your body when you eat, but right now I'm not sure that I can fix that problem.