Does walking really burn that many calories?

Options
Went out yesterday and i walked all around town for like 3 hours. Came home and when tried to add it to my exercise it came out as 1000 !!!! calories.

Is that real? IT just seems a lil bit high of a number... dont get me wrong, i LOVE it hehe..

Replies

• anamy90
    Options
    Should have thought it was more like 400-500. I think the exercise estimates are really high on here, same with gym equipment.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It would all depend on fast you were walking and if your heart rate was up the entire time, but unless you had on HRM on there is no way to tell that information

quick double check just website
    http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc2.htm
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It depends on the amount of exertion. How fast a pace? 4 miles an hour is very fast, 2 miles an hour is leisurely. You burn many more calories at a faster pace. but walking for three hours is great exercise no matter what the pace.
  • Rinflozeu
    Rinflozeu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thx for the fast responses guys.. this is a GREAT community!!

Yea, i wasnt very fast, just doing some shopping and what not. I ended up not even adding it to my exercise, i figured the number was a lil bit too high..
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It depends on how fast you're going, how fit you are, and how big/heavy you are. I walk pretty fast and usually burn about 350 in one hour. Someone bigger than me would burn more. Shopping - you were probably going a lot slower, but I bet you burned at least a few hundred.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    my HRM clocked 200 calories in 50 mins, so 240 per hour of which I would have burned about 80 sat on my backside. So 160 per hour extra walking fairly swiftly ~3 mph.
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    Shopping != steady walking

I would only count walking if it was constant, at a good pace, and for a significant amount of time (i.e. out of the ordinary compared to my usual day).
  • Rinflozeu
    Rinflozeu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    yea, thats why i ended up not adding it at all..