Fabulous 50 females

Options
Newby looking for support. Looking for ways to get motivated. It's hard reversing 50 years of bad habits. Tips from other FFFs (fabulous 50 females)?

Replies

• Brookhaven64
    Brookhaven64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I joined My Fitness Pal in March 2012. I am in my 60's but would be more than happy to help with your weight journey. I have lost 35 pounds since March and I really need all my friends to keep me upbeat. Feel free to friend me. Brookhaven 64
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,071 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm 53 and have struggled with my weight all my life. I have lost 23 pounds since Dec....29 from my highest weight. My doctor said I am losing weight the right way....after a certain age it isn't just about dieting, but exercise is very important also. My exercise of choice is running, simply because I can do it at home. So, my suggestion is to find an activity that you like to do to burn calories and log what you eat. You'll be surprised at how many calories some things have that you thought were healthy. Good luck in your journey.
  • ladycpg
    Options
    Hi I'm 52 just starting my journey hoping to lose 50 pounds. One important lesson I've learned thus far is you must replace the calories you burn when you exercise. For example if your caloric intake is 1400 a day and you burn 200 calories while exercising then increase your caloric intake to 1600 for that day.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!! I am 54 (will be 55 in October!!)
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to friend me too. There are alot of "youngsters" on this site so its fun to connect with people my age. I joined in July, the same time I started following Choose to Lose. I'm 10 pounds down and going strong. Usually this is about the time I'm bored to death with whatever diet I'm on - and believe me, I've tried a ton. But I really like the plan I'm on and I really like MFP. This site and the people keep me motivated. My goal is to lose 1 pound a week and I'm a little ahead of that.. I think of all the things I do, keeping track of my calories is what is making the biggest difference.
  • Shade777
    Options
    I'm even newbier than you! But I just found this topic : WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012 and felt a lot of love there. I think that would be a great place for both of us!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of other groups (50-60 year olds) where you'll find people to "friend". Of course, you can send me a request, too. Welcome!
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am 50, and hoping once and for all to get down to a healthy weight. I work from home so I am looking for weight loss buddies to help keep me motivated. Please add me as a friend!
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm 55 and have been at this for two years in some form or another. I've lost 40 lbs. with about twenty to go. I'd also recommend a great group called "Menopausal Mad Hatters". What a funny group with great ideas. I really enjoy them.
  • lshipley1
    lshipley1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've only been a member for a week now but have lost 3 pounds so far. I'm 53 and would love to offer you support. Feel free to add me as a friend
  • Marie31450
    Marie31450 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There's lots of support and motivation here! I'm in the sensational sixties! Lol. I joined quite some time ago but never really started faithfully using MFP til a few months ago! Feel free to add me!
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I turned 52 back in June, right about the same time I was starting to work out again. The gym I attend suggested using this particular tracker as an aid, though I didn't start using this site until about mid to late June... So I do exercise regularly, as well!

I was thin until I had my daughter, who turns 20 next week. Since that time, I have been heavy almost the entire time. Apparently I must have set an account up here last year, and at that point was at 223 and when I started back in June was at 199, so managed to loose some weight "on my own". Since June, however, I have lost 20 pounds and 18.5 inches. I think the fact that I am now so aware of what I am eating, I just make different choices now. I have had a box of Nestle's Crunch for so long I put them in the freezer. There is a time those would have been gone in only a few days!

I still have about 40 pounds to loose to be at the recommended BMI, but at least I feel encouraged now that I see results. And it's great to be able to try on clothes again and not want them just because you don't like it once you have it on. Before, it was because everything looked like a circus tent--how attractive is that? :(

Feel free to add me as a friend, as well! My life just got a little hectic returning to work after being off all summer but I come on here every day to journal so am glad to provide support, as well!

Good luck! This site has changed my life, literally! :)
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow - your (LJCannon) weight loss and your ability to keep it off is pretty inspiring! Your story certainly gives me hope - one of my '(secret) fears is that I'll get the weight off and then slowly put it back on again.
  • FourLynne
    FourLynne Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 and am new to MFP, too. I would love to offer support! Add me as a friend!
  • MarthaE59
    MarthaE59 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, Feef free to add me as your friend as well. I have lost 31 lbs. and I love this website and way of tracking. Not only is it fun but also very helpful. We are on an incredible journey and everyone needs to stay encouraged because there is a point where we get bored with anything. Not with this. We are all going to our goals, and by the way, I am 61. WELCOME!
  • gregg2lynn
    Options
    i too am new to MFP, i will turn 53 on Monday! feel free to add me as a friend, i too am looking to build a support group on here! open to any and all takers! Thanks!! Let's do this!
  • GinaRamp
    GinaRamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and just started My Fitness Pal last week. I would love for anyone to add me!
  • TennesseeSodaholic
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • meandtwocats
    Options
    Well I am not Fabulous but I am working on it. I am 55 and would love to find more support and be supportive of others. Feel free to add me also.