Went on maintenance, gained 2 pounds

Options
I have been weighing myself the last few days and I have been 123.3. I weighed myself in the middle of june and was 121. I weighed myself in the end if july and was still 121, so I upped my cals to maintenance to see what would happen. I was eating 1650 plus exercise calories before, and when I went on maintenance, I started to eat 1800 plus exercise calories. I am 5"5 and 18 years old. . The excerise I do is spinning 4-5 days a week ( recently 6 days a week) for 30-40 mintutes. I know you sometimes gain water weight when you upp your cals, but for a month? I am never over but if I am it is only by 40 or 50 cals and that happened once. And I also make sure to always have 40 cals left over each day. So I guess I am asking if I should lower my cals, or just stay with 1800 (maintenance cals) and see what happens?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    That 150 cals probably isn't causing any kind of weight gain. I'd guess it's some other factor - like it's that time of the month, or you've been eating salty foods, or not getting enough sleep, or you've been stressed out.

Stay where you are for a while. 1800 Net isn't too many. 1600 shouldn't have made that much difference, since we make 150 cal mistakes (minimum) every day anyway, no matter how "right" we think we are.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you were stable - at maintenance - before you went to maintenance. I'd go back to that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    ....and that about sums up the advice on these boards. One of us says to stick with it, and one of us says to go back to 1600.

It's all a big science experiment when you get to such slim margins, emily! Good luck!

• nonaleep
    Options
    If you're spinning 6 times a week, there is every chance that the weight you have gained is muscle?
    Do you take measurements too? If you're not any bigger, but you are heavier, then it's much more likely that all your hard work and exercise is just making you stronger, and more toned? :D
  • emily115
    emily115 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yea I actually lost a inch on my hip!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you were stable - at maintenance - before you went to maintenance. I'd go back to that.

^ This is quite possible and plausible based on your numbers.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Do you use a heart rate monitor? Maybe you are overestimating your exercise calories?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    On maintenance I went up a little but mostly due to sodium balance and water weight.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have found the daily calorie allotment here to be the lowest, and that can screw you up too. The best info i found out there is fat2fit.com It not only calculates, it explains the how and why.

It could definitely be sodium or pms though, but getting a second opinion on what your intake should be will only take a few minutes and won't hurt anything. But your calories seem low for maintenance to me.
  • emily115
    Options
    Do you use a heart rate monitor? Maybe you are overestimating your exercise calories?

I use a polar ft7.
  • emily115
    Options
    bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 8 pounds more than when I went on maintenance in October.

I'm wearing the same clothes. I look the same... maybe even a little better. I feel wonderful.

Repeat after me: The scale doesn't matter.
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options

If you lost an inch off your hip I'm not seeing what the problem is... I'd much rather be smaller and stronger than weigh less.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm really not sure I would be that concerned about a 2 lb gain if my measurements hadn't increased. It doesn't matter!!! No one can see your weight, who cares what it is if you look good?
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

If you lost an inch off your hip I'm not seeing what the problem is... I'd much rather be smaller and stronger than weigh less.

This is my thought. Keep at it, OP!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maintenance should be a range not one number as your weight will fluctuate!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Muscle is denser (heavier) than fat. So if you are losing fat and adding muscle, your weight may not be going down but your size, the inches, is what matters, not the scale. Throw the scale away and go by your measurements!
  • emily115
    Options
    Thank you! You all have been helpful! I guess I will just wait it out :)