Food diaries .. are you surprised sometimes?

Options

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish people would pull me up when I eat crap, but I see a lot of other people's diaries that shock me. It's not so much eating rubbish but some people who drastically under-eat according to their diaries and manage not to touch vegetables.
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    getting on my high horse and looking down on other people for what they eat is not going to help them lose more weight.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I disagree with this - I have an open diary so that if I need a reality check then I get one.

A "reality check" doesn't have to include nasty comments from people about the food choices you make. You might not like it much if a stranger posted on your wall that you eat like a pig and should be a ashamed of yourself. :bigsmile:

Well, maybe you're like me and don't really care what others think. :drinker:

Either way, people need to be supportive and not make their feedback negative. Unfortunately, not everyone has mastered the art of constructive criticism. That's why I tend to keep my opinions to myself about specific diary entries. Unless we are friends in real life, it's not my place to tell you what to do.

Oh no there's never any place for rudeness. But at the same time there is a difference between nastiness and just blunt honesty - I appreciate it when people are honest no matter what it's about. I do realise that some people are more sensitive though. But really, if you don't want comments, make your diary private...

The reason i have added MFP friends is to get support, and i believe that this is part of it :)

Also i generally find that if i treat people well then they do the same back - if I'm polite then they're polite too. :flowerforyou:
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I'm not shocked when I see someone complain and check their diary and see nothing but fast food.
    Well, there's your answer dude. Stop eating crap.

What DOES shock me, however, is when I see someone successful and want to peek at their diary.. And see chocolate and chips and other stuff that SO many people on this site frown upon. Guess it can be done with eating what I like, just in moderation.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I AM!! :noway: :noway:

I really am shocked sometimes when you see someone saying how they are struggling to lose weight, so you glance at their diary.. and bloody hell!! (I'm Eeengleessh ;) .. NO WONDER!

I didn't eat half that junk while I was GETTING fat! .. .. How you can expect to be losing ANY weight.. or doing any good .. for your body with a diary like that amazes me tbh.

Breakfast - Junk
    Morning snack - Junk
    Lunch - Junk.
    Afternoon snack - Junk
    Dinner - None because ate so much junk this morning.
    Evening snack -Junk..

:huh: :noway:

But how can you POSSIBLY expect to lose weight, when you seem to be making almost ZERO effort with what is regularly going into your mouth?

I have PMS ..
    does it show? .. :flowerforyou:
    Calories in vs calories out

/thread.

If the person is eating "junk" and genuinely staying at a deficit, they'll lose weight. If they can't count calories properly, they will not.
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ohhmyygoodness!

I am trying to keep up but you are too fast for me (and my son's silly laptop with no mouse!)

I am not trying to judge anyone!.. (I am trying not to LAUGH .. at how FAST some of you have jumped on this as an attack.. honestly.. it's laughable :wink:

I am not slim.. I AM FAT! .. a good 60lbs over still .. I have a HUGE tummy.. and I eat JUNK!! ..

I too have been picked on.. bullied.. laughed at.. and the butt of 'fat jokes' .. :sad: :sad:

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I am trying to say... is that I dont understand WHY people go on and on about not losing weight.. when they have been here (often) a LONG time... and should be learning something at least? ...

and are STILLLLL eating JUNK food for most meals. ..

THATS what I don't get.

Anyhooo.. you carry on twisting your knickers.. and I am going to open wine.. raid the fridge.. and watch. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever look at people's diaries but I agree: if you continue to eat junk, don't complain you're not losing any weight!

I do understand that junk food addicts find it extremely hard to adjust to a healthier lifestyle but it seems some aren't making any effort whatsoever. If they tried and found the joy in sampling new (healthy) foods, and allowed themselves to discover delicious new tastes and recipes, I'm sure they would also find losing weight much easier.

Be curious about new tastes and new foods, and start experimenting with them. And only eat junk food once a month, as a very special treat for all the efforts you've made. This way you don't have to give it up but you will automatically reduce the amount you're eating.of it. Best of luck to all who are struggling.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    If someone makes a sincere post about wanting to commit to weight loss I always glance at their diary for a few days. I have no malicious or judgemental intent, but it's more of a helpless feeling that there is nothing more I can do after they have heard everyone's best advice. They have to absorb the information at their own pace. What struck me this week was multiple portions of low nutrition food. You can't even think straight if your brain is being flooded with too many calories of sugar and carbs, much less make healthy choices. Snacks are great in portion sizes that your system can metabolize with a balanced diet. We all struggle, and I hope they will soon figure it out and start making positive progress.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ((((((Eupho)))))) I know you didn't mean it that way!! You are soo supportive!!
  • Eupho
    Options
    Oh.. and I meant to say too..

I have never EVER made a negative comment to anyone's diary.. I have just THOUGHT 'Whoaaaa' :noway:

I've had plenty of negative diary comments.. :huh:
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    At times I will look at other diaries that are public for meal ideas, but like the OP said, it's an eye opener as some food choices people make are more than I ever ate to get here in the first place (i.e all fast food, multiple servings of franks, burgers, sandwiches as a serving) and when I see them posting about having no calories left or why they're not losing weight, I really do wonder what they're thinking. I mean, fine if it's working for you and you are losing weight, but if you aren't, somethings obviously wrong with what your'e doing.

I just shrug my shoulders and of course I'm not saying anything unless someone asks for an opinion on their diary or on what they're doing wrong. I do give people credit for keeping their diaries open despite what they say they're consuming. My diary is open to my friends and I log to keep myself accountable.

But bottom line is, yes I am surprised.

And there it is folks......the answer to the question that the OP intially asked.

She didn't say that she made negative comments about other people's diaries, she merely asked if, like her, you ever look at other people's diaries and are surprised.

She wasn't getting on her high horse, she was asking your opinion, which in her country is allowed due to freedom of speech and democracy!
  • mellym25
    Options
    And this is why my diary is private. I don't eat a bunch of junk, but I don't like the idea of people looking at my food choices and judging me. I try not to do it to others, either. Technically, you can eat what you like as long as you're within your calorie limit for the day, so getting on my high horse and looking down on other people for what they eat is not going to help them lose more weight.

I completely agree :)
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    The one thing that I am surprised about is how many people fit alcohol into their diet. I guess it's good for me that I don't like the stuff. But I never realized how many people think it's important enough to work into their calorie count.

No different than coffee. You like something, you don't want to give it up, even if it's optional for subsistence.
  • smtorti
    smtorti Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree - I see this all the time. I do have the occational "snack" because I'm just 30 days in and I miss those treats but yeah - you can't have junk all day and night and skip meals and expect results!
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    At times I will look at other diaries that are public for meal ideas, but like the OP said, it's an eye opener as some food choices people make are more than I ever ate to get here in the first place (i.e all fast food, multiple servings of franks, burgers, sandwiches as a serving) and when I see them posting about having no calories left or why they're not losing weight, I really do wonder what they're thinking. I mean, fine if it's working for you and you are losing weight, but if you aren't, somethings obviously wrong with what your'e doing.

I just shrug my shoulders and of course I'm not saying anything unless someone asks for an opinion on their diary or on what they're doing wrong. I do give people credit for keeping their diaries open despite what they say they're consuming. My diary is open to my friends and I log to keep myself accountable.

But bottom line is, yes I am surprised.

And there it is folks......the answer to the question that the OP intially asked.

She didn't say that she made negative comments about other people's diaries, she merely asked if, like her, you ever look at other people's diaries and are surprised.

She wasn't getting on her high horse, she was asking your opinion, which in her country is allowed due to freedom of speech and democracy!

^this! :)
  • Eupho
    Options
    Lummy! .. My MFP says I got 8 friend requests and 4 messages since writing this!

People wanting to be my buddy?.. or spy on my diary.. (to post back in here? :laugh: ) I've seen that at few times in the MFP 'pack'...

might just add them all to see who DOES.. :laugh:

I have enough buddies *nose in the air* ..

I don't like it in the forums.. I feel like Daniel in the Lions Den. :laugh:
  • Way2Blue4You
    Options
    I eat more junk in a day than most people on diets do in a week, however, I avg 10mi/day walking at over 5mph so I can, literally, eat whatever I want and still maintain an almost perfect body. Just sayin.
  • Eupho
    Options
    The one thing that I am surprised about is how many people fit alcohol into their diet. I guess it's good for me that I don't like the stuff. But I never realized how many people think it's important enough to work into their calorie count.

OUCH! :drinker:

Thankfully!.. I can fit at LEAST one glass in easily.. Phew! *mops brow* ..

Mostly because I don't eat much 'junk' .. :wink:
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't randomly comment on what people eat unless they start a thread asking for help or complain on their status. I assume this holds true for most people? No one on here is perfect, that's why we all need to trim down and are on a journey to do so, and that journey is not a straight line to the finish line, but a squiggly one with plateaus and setbacks.

If you're serious about losing weight you will be honest with your logging and log all. Rest assured if you don't log perfectly, your body keeps track of every calorie in. I equate hidden diaries with people binging in private. You might think no one knows about all the crap you eat, but what you eat in private shows up on your body in public.

There are people that are on here that just aren't ready yet to lose weight. When you are ready, you just do it. There's no excuses like the need to have a hidden diary. Your diary being open is a helpful tool. I see so many people on the message boards get help by getting feedback on their diaries. I also get inspiration from diaries to try new foods. For instance I see a ton of my friends eating sandwich thins and veggies burgers so I tried that for breakfast one week and it really kept me full.

I agree that it could be helpful if you're struggling to have someone look at your diary and let you know where you might be going wrong. But I don't think it's fair to say keeping your diary open is a way to "prove" you're ready to lose weight. I lost 20 pounds without having to show anyone my food choices. Keeping what I eat private doesn't automatically mean I'm eating poorly. It just means I don't think what I put in my mouth is anyone's business but my own. If I needed help (and I probably will later on in my journey when I plateau), I will gladly open up my food diary to see if there's a problem that needs fixing. But keeping it private doesn't make me any less dedicated to weight loss than people who choose to keep it public.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Lummy! .. My MFP says I got 8 friend requests and 4 messages since writing this!

People wanting to be my buddy?.. or spy on my diary.. (to post back in here? :laugh: ) I've seen that at few times in the MFP 'pack'...

might just add them all to see who DOES.. :laugh:

I have enough buddies *nose in the air* ..

I don't like it in the forums.. I feel like Daniel in the Lions Den. :laugh:

We can form our own posse. :laugh:
  • xtianetas
    Options
    Junk food might not be healthy, but calories are basically calories. If you sufficiently reduce calorie intake, you should lose weight regardless of weather you are eating salad or chocolate. I have lost 35 lbs, and nothing is more annoying than having someone make a comment because I eat something that is considered "off limits" by them. I would encourage people to eat healthy, but I would also ask that you give people a break and let them work on their challenges, step by step. For me cutting calories came first, then adding exercise and now I am focusing on eating the right foods.