Large Loss, but Flabby Mess

Options
So, I've lost 50 pounds, and have done it fairly slowly, 5 lbs per month. I have 23 to go to what I think is my goal weight, but I look like a flabby mess. Especially bat wing arms and pouchy bag tummy. I was hoping to look ok in a swim suit this summer, but no dice. I've stepped up my weight training to try and tone up, but would love to hear from anyone that is (or was) in the same boat, to see if things will eventually tighten up, or if I need to start looking at more drastic measures.

Replies

• Kinu_M
    Options
    def keep up with weight and strengt training but if you werent doing these the whole time there is only so much that they can help with now.... at least thats what my fitness coach tells me...she stresses weight and strenght training through out your entire weight loss journey....good luck and congrats on the -50 pounds!
  • dshgna
    dshgna Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations for your weight loss! Other than the flabby skin, I'm sure you are feeling great:)!

I read this same question on some other thread and a really good site I found there was: http://allwomenstalk.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/

I have stretch marks and the more weight I lose, the more they show. I've started using moisturizer and planning on buying a stretch mark cream.

I recomment you to consult a dermatologist. That way you can get the best advice and perhaps be recommended a good cream. Surgery is an option, but personally it would be my last option.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Yeah ...me too. But I look great dressed, I can settle for that.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This is not going to be a one size fits all situation. You can use the suggestions you will be getting like Do strength training, losing the weight slowly helps, use lotions (shea butter and oatmeal), hydration, etc... I have used all of these over the years and granted I have lost quite a bit of weight but I knew going in there was no way without intervention that I would get rid of some of this loose skin and that is why I am scheduled for a circumferential body lift surgery in 3 weeks. I have used weight training to help with certain areas (my neck, arms, chest) but other ares like inner thighs and torso are beyond anything I can do to help. It all comes done to several factors like how much weight you have lost, how old you are, how long you carried the extra weight, how fast you lost it, genetics comes into play, etc..... Best of Luck...
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water, lose slowly and use body lotion. Those things help but won't do a TON of difference.

Lift heavy, as heavy as you can. It can take some time for your skin to go back after weight loss. Lifting heavy will build muscle and strengthen what you have which can help the look of your skin. Unfortunatley it is all based on genetics for the most part.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't really feel like its loose, skin, more like loose fat. I'm going to ramp up my weight training, and hope that everything will kind of catch up and settle in over the winter. I look considerably better dressed, so maybe I'll rock the bikini next summer. Will keep you posted.
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is so on my mind...I can see/feel my arms floppy around and as my stomach gets smaller it seems to sag/droop more. Due to back/hip injury I am limited on the exercise I am able to do... Plus I have a scar from 3-4 inches above my navel to my hair line...I've already been thinking I need to start saving for a tummy tuck.
  • 21June
    Options
    I believe its finding the right balance of cardio exercises and resistance training i.e. weights. Not to mention diet! :smile:
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i drink tons of water and use body butter 2x/day, my skin loves it :) ya my belly never went back to what i hoped for. im considering surgery, i feel like its what neds to happen for me to feel as good as i know i should, so i will most likely do it. i have a referral in.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I have a lot more to lose and will be facing that too but sadly we can't really expect there to be no consequences from having been overweight. Concentrate on the positives, on how well you feel and how much more you can do and how much better you look dressed and I'm sure as time goes by things will tighten up a bit and you'll get more used to the new you x
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    lifting heavy is your best bet for tightening your skin.

also make sure you are fueling your body enough!
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    May I suggest the Jamie Eason's fat loss program. It's a twelve week program and it if you follow the program and eat clean you will achieve good results. Check it out on www.bodybuilding.com
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Copied and pasted from a post I made on the exact same topic I see it every day.

Drink tons of water

Strength train

Lose it slowly

Moisturize

About 90 of the 95 lbs ive lost has been from my belly, and my loose skin is very minor, I think even with more strength training it will go away completely.

At my heaviest I was 320, i'm now 227.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    So, I've lost 50 pounds, and have done it fairly slowly, 5 lbs per month. I have 23 to go to what I think is my goal weight, but I look like a flabby mess. Especially bat wing arms and pouchy bag tummy. I was hoping to look ok in a swim suit this summer, but no dice. I've stepped up my weight training to try and tone up, but would love to hear from anyone that is (or was) in the same boat, to see if things will eventually tighten up, or if I need to start looking at more drastic measures.

losing more then a pound a week is slow???
  • jtakingcareofherself
    Options

Relax, dude! A month has about 4.5 weeks. 5 lbs in one month is totally reasonable.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Relax, dude! A month has about 4.5 weeks. 5 lbs in one month is totally reasonable.

i'm relaxed. i just understand how the OP can be upset with a very steady weight loss.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this too. Every 5-8 pounds I feel like everything gets loose and flabby, a few weeks go on and it all tightens up. A few more 5-8 pounds, and it's flabby again. Literally, I think I have extra space in my body that has to shift around and build tight muscle to hold it together. Exercise has helped me, but every body is different. I don't have extra skin, my fat is just less dense than it was. I think (if I were thinner) this is what they call 'skinny fat'. You're thin but not toned.

Congratulations on all that weight loss! Good luck.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I have lots of that... my bat wings drive me crazy! But - that's the price I pay for having gotten so big, to lose so much, to end up here. In that sense, I deal with it... BUT - really - it's gonna depend on your individual body. Some skin can tighten up as it regenerates. Using compression clothing can help with that... just very small help. The "toning" (which isn't actually what "tone" is about but since people seem to always use the word wrong - I'll give in for the purpose of this post, ha,ha) will help will help develop muscle which helps the appearance - it's not really reducing any of the skin, but your body looks better under the skin, so, it helps. I hear that water and moisturizer -- which makes sense if you are looking at the elasticity of the skin... but genetics and youth will play the bigger role with that part.

In the end... I hope that you have good luck with all of it - and that the flab is minimal. I've just accepted the fact tht if I want to be rid of the excess skin? I'll have to pay to get rid of it. But then, I am looking at much different numbers than you! ;)
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    While it may not be a one-size-fits-all answer (as someone else above me believed), I do think that strength training is VERY important all during the weight loss journey. I'm not sure how hard it is to tighten up loose skin/flabby fat after the major loss, but just have a look at the people on Biggest Loser. The great combo of strength AND cardio really helps. Unfortunately, abdominals lose their tone quickly. Working on abdominals daily is really important. You don't need anything special to do it either, as I'm sure you know :-)

I do recommend using a stability ball with Pilates. There is a "10-Minutes Solution" Pilates stability ball DVD that is great for beginners with it. Even though I don't consider myself a beginner with the stability ball or Pilates, it still gets my muscles burning when I use it! I notice fast results with Pilates.

Obviously diet is a big one too. i haven't checked out your diary, but keeping to belly friendly foods is always key. High protein, high fiber. If you cheat, cheat less. Don't add salt to anything and really watch the sodium.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

i'm relaxed. i just understand how the OP can be upset with a very steady weight loss.
    I've noticed this alot here and other places. There are so many "loose weight quick" plans and advertisements all over the place, that I think our sense of what's reasonable has been terribly skewed. I've seen people who were losing more than 2 pounds a week complaining that it wasn't fast enough! Even 1/2 a pound/week is great if it's a consistent trend and part of learning ways to live healthier.
    And back to the original topic, as others have noted on this thread, it may take time for your body to re-arrange and for skin to tighten up after weight loss. I'm hoping (for me too) that the continued exercise and hydration will result in improvements over time. But you've made fairly large changes (Congratulations on that!), so it's perfectly reasonable that your body may need some more time to adjust.