Doing it with diet alone: 100+ the goal

Options
Hi! I'm Alexandra, and I recently found MFP and think it will be useful as I work to lose quite a bit of weight.

But I have a problem that most people don't. You see, when I was in my twenties, I folded one foot in half in a car accident. They put it back together with pins and screws, but now that I am forty, I have a new companion: Arthur Itis. I also need surgery to repair ligaments in both ankles, and so I wear braces. I can sometimes do some light walking, but often, especially in bad weather, I'm saving my weightbearing for things like going to the bathroom. I do yoga, and have seen fabulous gains in physical strength and muscle tone with it, as well as balance and an improved kinesthetic sense, but I can't do the cardio the way I "should".

So I will have to do it all with diet. I have overcome my food addiction, accepted my body as wonderful just as it sits right now, and am working day by day to love myself by not eating everything in sight, and....twenty pounds in two months says it's working so far.

I'd love to hear from other people with physical disabilities who are also working on weight loss. One of my greatest motivators is that the less I weigh total, the easier it is on my ankles and foot.

Replies

• hellmama5
    hellmama5 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! Wonderful! You are doing a great job!! I have been trying to regain control of my body for years and have only been successful with diet and exercise. I had 3 children in my early 20s and a few life changes before 30; helping to pack on the pounds. In 2009 I took control and successfully lost 30lbs with diet and exercise alone! Then I hurt my knee...and then my other knee. That derailed things for me.

I slowly withdrew from my lifestyle change progress and reverted back to old comfort habits. 3 years and the weight was back, ta da! I saw myself in my youngest son's 1 year picture and wanted to cry. Again, I decided enough was enough, I would just go slower and take better care of my knees. As soon as I saw progress, it was so motivating, I HAD TO DO MORE, I wanted to jump and glide and fly! So, of course I reinjured my right knee and then while compensating, the left knee decided it was done, too. 30 now and luckily I had insurance this time so I went to the doctor=Arthritis! I feel your pain!! I joined Anytime Fitness because I was told "REST MAKES RUST!" and I couldn't stand the idea of getting any bigger or weaker.

You can do many things with your arms. You can do chair exercises, and floor exercises, bosu ball exercises (think on your tummy or back, not stepping up or down). Mostly, what you need are strength training exercises, that way you burn calories while recovering and resting. You can still log under cardio if you only take small rests between reps and push yourself; your heart-rate will go up in no time. Start with sets that include light weight, many reps; mid-weight, less reps; heavy weight, few reps. With hand weights this might look like: 3lbs, 20 reps; 8lbs, 16 reps; 10lbs, 12 reps. The rest of your joints are suffering (like mine) while you take care of your feet; they need to move, too! Good job starting with yoga. If you can afford a pool membership, that would be ideal. Treading water, and water aerobics burn SO many calories. My neighbor has a pool, which I hope I will be able to use next summer, (Fish don't need to walk or bare weight!).

I am starting over again and already twisted my knee (just regular life walking, not even related to working out!) and am back in braces!! BUT, this time I am not letting it stop me. I am mindful not to lift off the ground (I LOVE TO JUMP!) because that is not in the cards anymore if I want to continue going up stairs or crossing my legs...or walking.

I am sorry your injury was debilitating and changed your life; but I am proud of you for making smart choices and taking control of your body. WAY TO GO!!
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    You definitely are someone who understands!

I'm hoping soon to be able to afford to join Anytime Fitness; I love doing strength training, just for the way it makes me feel, but due to the fibromyalgia have to be VERY careful how hard I push, or I'll wind up in bed for a day without the strength to roll over.
  • sunrisecarol
    Options
    Wow, you are both so inspiring! I am in a nursing program and see disabilities affecting peoples lifestyles all the time. Many of my patients choose to wallow in their problems and allow their weight to go up which can bring on diabetes, heart problems, etc. It is the strong willed ones who pull themselves above their situation and push their limitations to the max. Even if being "skinny" isn't the goal, being healthy is a great priority!
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    And it's a really vicious cycle you can get into that leaves you sitting in a chair snacking all day and slowly outgrowing everything you own.

I love to be active and up and doing, so it' s hard to accept that I have to sit forty minutes of every hour and take an afternoon nap, but the less I kick against the restrictions, the more time I have to find how I can enjoy life around them.
  • you are doing a great job i lost 130 pounds myself and i found the best way to lose weight is to only eat when your body is telling you to not when your brain is telling you in other words only eat when you have hunger pains and only eat enough to make the pains go away like instead of eating a whole sandwich just eat half and save the rest because you will be hungry again in about two hours which is good because that means your matabolism is working like it should the key is not to over load your matabolism because its like a computer if you put to many commands ion at once its slows it way down and when you eat to much food at one time it bogs down your matabolism and the longer it takes for your body to use that food the more of it turns to fat try not to ever eat more than 500 clories in one setting and stay away from red meat ! it is not your friend it will sit in your digestive system for three days bogging down your matabolism remember what i said about bogging it down its like a computer or another analogy would be like mowing thick grass with a mower and pushing it to fast you know how it boggs the motor down that what we do when we eat to much food at one time its better to just nibble all day but make sure you keep track of how many calories you are nibbling cause if you arent paying attention that could be dangerous too :) anyway good luck i am still in my battle as well i have about 40 more pounds to loose