BACON rant

Replies

• gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Pig

Proof of God's love for us all.

Who can top that? Well said my new hero, well said.
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    I'm wondering why the OP didn't include cholesterol and other fats in the comparison.

According to the MFP numbers:

Turkey 15 cholesterol per slice 1 sat fat
    Pig 7.5 cholesterol per slice 1 sat fat

Hmmmmm....I'll take pig.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/can-bacon-be-part-of-a-healthy-diet

Not to break your bubble, but the OP made this thread to help people realise that yes you can eat bacon and have a healthy life style and your link goes on to prove that as well.

Quoting from your own link 'Many researchers have concluded that regular consumption of processed meats may lead to higher risk for prostate cancer and several other cancers.' so lets see, irregular consumption should be fine! The OP was exactly saying it have it everyone morning with your eggs! She was pointing out that you can still eat and lead a healthy life style.

Oh yippee, I love picking sentences out of articles to make a point. How about this one from the same link

"Not only is bacon considered a red meat, it’s also a member of the dreaded "processed meat" group (even turkey bacon falls into this category. And NO amount of processed meat is considered safe to eat, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research."
    just buy your own pork belly and make your own.

I don't like it enough to bother with that, but why do you assume that home smoking or curing would be healthier? Or do you mean eat it uncured?
    You can get your bacon uncured or at least no nitrites. I know why nitrates are bad but I'm not sure why the curing is necessarily bad.

I don't either and from what I've read even the experts aren't exactly sure why it's bad. But most agree that eating cured meats does raise the risk for cancer.

Most of the common curing techniques use sodium nitrate. There are curing techniques that don't use sodium nitrate, so those are fine. Just make sure what ever you buy is nitrate free.
    I do agree we should limit nitrates but I believe the body naturally produces it to.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    My favorite bacon meal is to take two slices of thick cut bacon, fry it up until it gets crispy. Drain off maybe half the grease, then break up the bacon into pieces. Add two huge handfuls of spinach and let it wilt down and get all covered in tasty bacon grease. Bacon salad ... YUM!

*makes mad, mad love to bacon*
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Banana cupcakes with peanut butter cream cheese frosting and topped with crumbled bacon.
    I call it......The Elvis

It is magnificent......... :laugh:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    NO amount of processed meat is considered safe to eat, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research."
    And NO amount of driving is considered safe. Whatever you do, do not eat bacon while driving. It's dangerous out there.

Right....
    Don't pork and drive :ohwell:

ROFL!!!

I can't stand turkey bacon, it is a poor substitute for no reason. And has very little protein anyway, so why waste time eating turkey bacon when you can eat the real, delicious thing!!

And...

dcbcO.jpg
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Banana cupcakes with peanut butter cream cheese frosting and topped with crumbled bacon.
    I call it......The Elvis

A cupcake place near me makes these, but with a little maple syrup drizzled on top as well. My favorite!!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    I call it......The Elvis

A cupcake place near me makes these, but with a little maple syrup drizzled on top as well. My favorite!!

I make them from scratch and they're a HUGE hit at every office pot luck LOL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I don't either and from what I've read even the experts aren't exactly sure why it's bad. But most agree that eating cured meats does raise the risk for cancer.

Most of the common curing techniques use sodium nitrate. There are curing techniques that don't use sodium nitrate, so those are fine. Just make sure what ever you buy is nitrate free.

How do you know it's just fine? I mean, what information do you have that the cancer researchers do not?
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    This is one of those made up rants that make no sense, beacuse 98% of the people on this board jizz themselfs talking about bacon. That would be like creating a rant about how your are sick of people saying lifting is bad for you, it is definitely a minority opinion! What's next, you are sick of your neighbor making jokes that you can't eat someting because you are on a diet?
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Bacon, all day, every day, as far as I'm concerned. It tastes great. It's satiating. It doesn't have many calories. It's saturated fat content is negligible. It provides me with protein. I exercise and need the sodium.
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    This is one of those made up rants that make no sense, beacuse 98% of the people on this board jizz themselfs talking about bacon. That would be like creating a rant about how your are sick of people saying lifting is bad for you, it is definitely a minority opinion! What's next, you are sick of your neighbor making jokes that you can't eat someting because you are on a diet?
    I didn't realize this was a rant. I just saw the word bacon and got excited.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    I see no reason to be a hater against bacon. I have tried a few turkey bacon brands and none of them compare to the real thing and bacon shall make a glorious return to my morning breakfast soon.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    I'm wondering why the OP didn't include cholesterol and other fats in the comparison.

Because OP is being bias.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    tumblr_m527xhknlK1rvhrr7o1_500.gif
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member

Nothing made up about it. I was just stating some facts that a lot of people are not aware of.

If you are offended....don't read or better yet, don't respond.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member

Because OP is being bias.

No, not bias...just lazy. I thought I would just hit the high points. If you want full disclosure, do the research yourself.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member

According to the MFP numbers:

Turkey 15 cholesterol per slice 1 sat fat
    Pig 7.5 cholesterol per slice 1 sat fat

Hmmmmm....I'll take pig.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/can-bacon-be-part-of-a-healthy-diet

Not to break your bubble, but the OP made this thread to help people realise that yes you can eat bacon and have a healthy life style and your link goes on to prove that as well.

Quoting from your own link 'Many researchers have concluded that regular consumption of processed meats may lead to higher risk for prostate cancer and several other cancers.' so lets see, irregular consumption should be fine! The OP was exactly saying it have it everyone morning with your eggs! She was pointing out that you can still eat and lead a healthy life style.

You assumed I was anti-bacon. Far from it. I love bacon.
    What the link and your quoting of it makes explicit on this thread, that wasn't hardly even implied, is

Bacon, beyond occasional consumption, can kill you in the long run.

Statistically i probably stand a great chance of dying in a car crash - but I still drive every day. Saying something can kill you in the long run is kind of pointless. Even LIVING can kill you in the long run, since no one lives for ever.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Actually, obesity (except for smoking), kills more people per year than car crashes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/10/us/death-rate-from-obesity-gains-fast-on-smoking.html

So, whether your 89 pounds overweight or 40 pounds overweight, your risking dying from the second most frequent cause of death in the United States: Obesity.
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member

Nothing made up about it. I was just stating some facts that a lot of people are not aware of.

If you are offended....don't read or better yet, don't respond.

No where did I say I was offended, just pointing out what I see... Don't post something if you don't want people to respond.