After Gallbladder removal.......

Options
Did anyone have to change their diet or eating habits? How did it affect you?

Replies

• colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Nobody huh! Suppose I will find out for myself soon enough.
  • simplyivy19
    Options
    Sadly I was 18 when mine was remove for the first 2 weeks avoid grease after that take grease lightly. Everytime I have grease foods I have to run to the bathroom
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I actually began changing my habits before I had mine removed. I gave up soda completely about 1 month prior to having the surgery. And I avoided really greasy foods because they caused episodes. Since the habits changed before my surgery, I have not really changed anything else. I have just kept the same ones. I have had maybe one time that I felt really icky after eating something greasy. Hope this helps you a little!
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Had mine out just under 2 years ago. Didn't make any changes to my eating habits. Gotta say, having it removed was definitely worth it! Gallstones are the most unimaginable pain EVER! Good luck with your surgery!
  • skt001
    skt001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can't eat lettuce without having some type of protein with it. I can't figure it out, but it never happened before my gallbladder removal.
  • cathylovestim
    Options
    Nope. I asked my surgeon if I needed to avoid any specific food group/food and he said I shouldn't have to. I know people who have been sensitive to high fat contents in their foods or dairy but I've never had a problem. I have to say though that that was a little over 20 years ago (I was the first laproscopic gall bladder patient my surgeon had). I've been a vegetarian for over 7 years now and really limit unhealthy fats. I am also transitioning to a vegan diet.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Had mine out just under 2 years ago. Didn't make any changes to my eating habits. Gotta say, having it removed was definitely worth it! Gallstones are the most unimaginable pain EVER! Good luck with your surgery!

Same here!! Best thing I ever did. I put it off for 10 years and that was a mistake!!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out a few years ago, and I haven't noticed a huge change. Maybe more sensitive to greasy, fatty foods, but I think that's more from being healthier now than anything. Good luck.
  • addaline22
    Options
    cabbage is my arch nemisis now. along with beef. and I can't drink like a fish anymore either :)
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i asked the doctor what I was allowed to eat following my gallbladder was removed. He said to eat what ever I wanted and if it hurt me in any way to not eat it again. Nothing bothered me. Before the operation, Orange juice or steak (grilled) or hotdogs all would make me sick. After the operation, I can eat all of those foods. I have found nothing has bother me since and that was 40 years ago.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had mine out last December 1st. I have not given up much, but to much fat can casue some problems.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed earlier this year after more than 10 years of issues with stones. I didn't have to make any changes, but it's mostly been because my diet's always been pretty healthy and my stones weren't triggered by or as a result of a fat issue (it was a mineral issue). It was highly acidic foods or sodas that made my gall bladder angry.

People with fatty diets end up with really severe diarrhea after removal if they go back to what they were eating previously. Bad enough that there's actually pills that the surgeon may prescribe afterward. I think I ate bland for a few days, mostly because I was in wretched amounts of pain, and after that, I was back to normal. The very occasional fried food doesn't get to me at all. I think I ate a burger as my first meal after surgery.
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    I had mine removed may 2011. After Ive had it removed, ive noticed that certains foods, greasy, and fried foods makes me get diarrhea. But everyone is different
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out and I will not eat out where the food is fried or full fat (KFC or say ice cream). I hardly ever eat fried foods or full fat foods; if I do I get a stomach ache. Remember your gall bladder produced the bile to digest any excessive fat and you no longer have it so you will wind up with a stomach ache (diarrhea or nausea, some may throw up but I do not, but then I try to stay away from those foods).

I eat lots of raw vegetables and fruits (I've heard people say they couldn't but I think that's bull); the only raw vegetables I have problem with is raw onion or green bell pepper (red, orange and yellow bell pepper I can handle).
  • colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying. For some reason I am very nervous about this surgery although I have had others in the past for unrelated issues.

I think my dad was told to stay away from Pork, peanuts and limit dairy, not that he does! I have heard so many different stories I just wanted to get a feel from you lovely people.
  • LLRider
    Options
    "The gallbladder is a sac that stores bile made by the liver in between meals. After a meal, the gallbladder squeezes the bile it has stored into the intestine. In the intestine, the bile mixes with food and fat. Bile is important because it helps with the digestion of fat and its transfer from the intestine into the body.

When the gallbladder is removed, bile made by the liver can no longer be stored between meals. Instead, the bile flows directly into the intestine anytime the liver produces it. Thus, there still is bile in the intestine to mix with food and fat. It is true that there is not as much bile, but there is enough to allow the digestion and transfer of fat. People who have had their gallbladders removed do not need to limit the fat in their diet.

The only clear side effect of removal of the gallbladder is diarrhea. This occurs in about 10% of patients. The diarrhea occurs because of the change in the way bile is delivered to the intestine once the gallbladder has been removed. Bile and the way it is delivered to the intestine appears to control the speed with which food passes through the intestine. Removing the gallbladder speeds up the passage of food and thereby may cause the diarrhea. There may be other reasons why the change in delivery of bile causes diarrhea as well."

from Medicine Net
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My Doc said to eat what I wanted. Boy was he wrong! All the females in my family have had ours out and we all know where the nearest bathroom is at all times. Fatty meats, prime rib peanuts and beer. Make baseball games hard!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Your Dad is right but add beer!
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 4 months ago after developing them during pregnancy. I didn't really alter what I ate, although I was used to eating basically fat-free after having them for nearly a year. I did find that on the few occasions I had something particularly fatening in the month following, I did feel slight nausea. My doctor said this was normal.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out 20 years ago. The only thing that bothers me is if I eat a whole banana I'm doubled over with pain that feels like the gallstones did.

Glad you hear you are getting it taken care of. Trust me, it's better to get it done before it gets too bad. My wasn't diagnosed for years and years. They kept thinking I had an ulcer. When they did the surgery, they tried to do the scope but ended up having to cut me because it was so bad. But that was twenty years ago!! Even with the huge incision, I was thrilled. The pain from the incision was something I could understand and knew would heal. The pain from the gallbladded was so much worse!