How many days off?

How many consecutive days off can you take from running(or any cardio) without losing form (pace and stamina)?

Replies

• lrivera85
    lrivera85 Posts: 35 Member
    I normally take 1 or 2 days off at the max. I enjoy my cardio and incorporate it with my lifting days as well. I also enjoy running but with my schedule I'm only able to run on Sundays and Tuesdays I don't feel that the long break effects me that much but I know I would be faster and my endurance would be better if I could do it more often.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    I try not to take more than one day off in a row from working out period...especially cardio. But, it's all about the consistency overall I suppose.
  • I only take a day or two off from running also. I start to feel lousy if I take more time than that off.

On a different note: I think you begin losing "strength" rather than cardio, after a week.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    It depends largely on how fit you are to start with.

I took a week off a couple of years ago while I was on a scuba holiday (running & 4 dive days are not a great idea....) and didn't feel like I'd lost anything when I got back to my normal routine.
  • TheSoupMan
    TheSoupMan Posts: 5 Member
    1-2 is probably the sweet spot. I took off 8 while on vacation this summer. My cardio was fine (actually felt refreshed), but my legs were sore for most of the following week once I started back up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I took about 6 weeks off from running, then eased back in slowly, when I had my stress fracture, and really didn't lose much of either. My last run before I realized I had a fracture was December 26. By February 20th, I was able to run 5k at my normal training pace.

On the other hand, this summer I took about 3 weeks off (one week out of laziness, then caught the flu for two weeks) and felt like my chest was going to explode.

And on the other, other hand, because apparently I have three hands, I typically start to get stir crazy if I go more than three days without running.
  • I try to take a day off also but I find that I get real antsy and feel like I should be doing a workout or walking or something. I get really bored and miss the exercise even if its for a day.
  • I take one day off, if im still sore i walk it out or bicycle st a slower pace and just do upper body
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    I take 1 or 2 days off, depending on my schedule, but usually not in a row
  • atlanticgypsy
    atlanticgypsy Posts: 51 Member
    1-2 days.

18304147.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Like everyone else said 1-2 days should be fine, but it's also good to take at least 1 week off after say 6 to 8 weeks of working out, just to let your body rest and recover
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    How many consecutive days off can you take from running(or any cardio) without losing form (pace and stamina)?

My understanding is that you lose form faster then it takes to regain it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I don't know, I'm not too big into running. or cardio in general. But when I was doing the couch to 5K, I ended the 3rd week and I didn't run again for almost 2 weeks and I started back up again with week 4 and I did just fine. I didn't seem to lose any stamina in that amount of time. I wouldn't recommend that, though. Lol.