fruits & veggies don't fill me up?

Options
Is it just me or am I the only one who thinks this. I had half a cup of strawberries, 1 mandarin orange and a medium sized banana for a snack (not all at the same time but half and hour to an hour in between) and i was still hungry? is it just me?

Replies

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I find I get hungry if I just eat fruit or veggies. You need to add in some protein like cheese (I like mini babybell light) or nuts. That should keep you feeling fuller.
  • VeganHippieChick
    VeganHippieChick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Depends what you ate earlier in the day. I would add some fat to hold you better such as nuts, seeds, nut or seed butter (to dip veggies), olives, or avocado (or guacamole).
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Definitely add some fat. Veggies and fruits go right through my tummy.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are awesome but are pretty easy for our bodies to use as fuel so we use them up fairly quickly. A protein source slows the process down and you won't feel as hungry...I always eat the 2 together...apples and peanut butter ..blueberries and soy nuts...bananas with light string cheese...carrots and almonds
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Fruits are great for a burst of energy but the do not last long, I agree with everyone's suggestions about adding fat. For a snack I like putting 1 tablespoon of almond butter and a some chia seeds on a banana or some dates, or have a smaller portion salad with a healthy oil dressing (or an avocado.)
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am the same with fruit. For me the worst culprits are higher sugar fruits like the ones you mentioned. If I want a quick healthy snack, I now have plain soya yoghurt with some lower sugar fruit like raspberries, and sprinkle some sunflower seeds. Or home-made hoummus with some sliced carrot, or sweet peppers. I find vegetables are less likely to bring on hunger pangs than fruit. If you are on the go - it is easy to have some sliced carrots, peppers and a few raw nuts in a little container your bag.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Add some protein. Protein keeps you from feeling hungry. Eggs are a great, low cal source of protein that will keep you from feeling hungry for a very long time. Nuts are great, too, but are caloric.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I had a large yellow bell pepper, two 4 inch long baby cucumbers, and 10 yellow pear tomatoes with hummus for lunch. Super full and I didn't even have water.
  • hannahcaringal
    Options
    thanks for all the tips guys! good luck on all your weight loss journeys!
  • ITS_MY_CHOICE
    ITS_MY_CHOICE Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I dip my fruit in peanut butter. keeps me fuller longer and tastes amazing! or cheese. cheese and apple are made for each other.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I love fat free cream cheese and berries or apples.. I just smash some cinnamon in the FF Cream Chesse..