This is my last try to get a response!!!!

Options
If my BMR is 1,480 and I had 403 exercise calories does that mean I can eat 1,883 calories without gaining?

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rockdrop
    Rockdrop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think theoretically that is correct, but unfortunately, it's really tough to know this for sure. In my opinion, though, it's highly unlikely that you would GAIN weight eating 1,883...it might be a maintenance day, though.
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    Thank-you! Sometimes I think I am invisible here!
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    bump
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should not gain fat from eating your exercise calories back.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I never understand BMR so I can't help.... sorry. :ohwell:
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't get how this really works... but if I eat all mine back, I lose slow, but at least I am not starving.
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Basically if you eat back your exercise calories - your weight is not going to change. You need to expend more calories than you take in to lose weight. Having said that, your BMR is only a rough estimate of how many calories you burn doing absolutely nothing (which most of us don't do...housework, shopping etc burn some extra ones) so if you eat back only some of your exercise cals then you should lose something. I always seem to eat a small portion of my exercise cals and I've lost weight
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sometimes threads just don't get seen, don't take it personally because you are far from the only one it happens to.

Your BMR is what you would burn if you laid in bed all day. If you eat that much plus the calories burned from exercise you would still be under your TDEE by the amount of calories you burn walking around, cooking and doing all your normal daily activities.
  • Belligerent_Wombat
    Options
    Thank-you! Sometimes I think I am invisible here!

I feel your pain.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Your bmr is the minimum calories you need to live if you were theoretically in a coma. You should look for the groups "eat more to weigh less", and "in place of a road map". Especially the second. You will find so many answers in those groups!!! And so much help.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'd think that eating back ALL your exercise calories ALL the time might slow down your losses, but if you truly burned that many calories, you're not going to gain.

To a large degree it's about what will work for you, and that will take some experimentation. I've read about people being successful eating all of them back, people being successful while never eating them back, and people who are successful while eating some of them back. I'm in the "some" camp.

I know what you're feeling about being invisible. I've thrown out a couple questions and have yet to get a single response.
  • Rockdrop
    Rockdrop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate - the amount of calories your body allegedly burns when doing NOTHING (as though you were in a comma). The trouble is, most of us figure our BMRs out by plugging our stats into the computer and it spits out a number. Metabolism is affected by more than just our age, height and weight, though, so it's not 100% reliable.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel invisible. Posts disappear so fast sometimes...And yes, in theory you could eat them. But...never trust a computer completely. Even if you have a body bugg, other things can factor in, like medical conditions. PCOS, diabetes, thyroid issues, etc all cause weight loss to take longer and the body need less calories to get it done.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I gained 25 pounds in 6 months when I ate back my exercise calories, but I had Hashimoto's and didn't know it. It causes unexplained weight gain. So I either don't eat them back or only eat half. But everyone is different. There are people on here who lose while eating back all their exercise calories. You just have to try different things and see what works best for you.
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    The reason why I asked was cuz I went to the Best in the West rib cookoff today and wanted to enjoy myself without the guilt!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is what your body burned doing its normal activity during the course of a normal day. Your BMR is what a doctor would prescribe for you in nutritional value if you were lying in a hospital bed in a coma to sustain your organ and brain and body functions to keep you alive. If when you set up your account on the website, you calculated your BMR with sedentary activity level, then you can go ahead and eat your exercise calories back. If you listed your exercise level in the calculation then NO, you should not eat your exercise calories as the were already counted. Hope that helps.
  • erobinson90
    Options
    I think that it is save to say that you wouldn't lose weight but you wouldn't gain any either
  • athensguy
    Options
    Your TDEE is the number you burn per day.

Your BMR and exercises calories (EAT+EPOC) are components of TDEE.

If you eat at your actual BMR and eat your actual exercise calories, you should have a caloric deficit since you'd be leaving out NEAT and DIT.

The thing is that the calculators are merely an estimate. There is significant variability between BMRs. There is also variability in exercise calories.