would this be dumb.

Options
So I want to go to stop and shop on my break and get some sliced buffalo chicken breast from the deli and on here the serving size is 1 ounce...would that be weird if i asked the deli man for 1 ounce? lol I dont know. How much is 1 ounce?

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale and weight it. They really make life easier. I love my and bought it for less than $10.00 at the vitamin shoppe. Not sure how much 1 oz would be in terms of size but for what its worth, 4ozs = 1/4 lb. This way if you bought a 1/4 of a lb, you would have 4 1oz servings. :happy:
  • volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    Options
    I don't think it would be dumb, he would probably think you were weird tho LOL. Why not just get x amount and have it for future lunches?
  • Mommabee
    Mommabee Posts: 103
    Options
    Get extra and have him put a sheet of deli paper between the oz's, he has to weigh it anyway! Remember, you're the customer and you are always right!!!!:wink:
    Hugs!:flowerforyou:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I just dont want to look dumb and weird lol. And i want to know about how many slices an ounce is so i can keep track of it. I deff need to get a scale. I think I'll get 1/4 lb and ask him to put the deli paper in between each ounce lol
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be dumb, but one ounce is not very much meat!! A typical meat serving is 3 ounces, and should be about the size of a deck of cards (though with lunch meat it may be a little bigger due to the way it's sliced). I would ask for a quarter pound (4 ounces), and then visually separate it into 4 equal piles (if you don't have a scale). Then use however many ounces you choose.
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    hi if you have no place to store it (frig) 1/4 lb (4oz) I would ask for an ounce what the heck its your money and your weight loss.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be dumb, but one ounce is not very much meat!! A typical meat serving is 3 ounces, and should be about the size of a deck of cards (though with lunch meat it may be a little bigger due to the way it's sliced). I would ask for a quarter pound (4 ounces), and then visually separate it into 4 equal piles (if you don't have a scale). Then use however many ounces you choose.

Well I only put like 1-3 slices in a sandwich anyways. Would that be an ounce?
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i don't think so - i saw someone ask once for 1 thickish slice of turkey, and they ate it right there and took up the sticker to pay! i thought that was kind of cool.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    It will be about 1 slice...and seniors ask for all kinds of things...it won't be weird at all!!!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I just got some thin sliced deli meat (not shaved) yesterday. 1 oz equals two slices of it. It's the thickness I always buy for sandwiches (guess what they set their machines to anyway?) So, you're probably safe to bet its 2-3 depending on the size of the meat.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Well I only put like 1-3 slices in a sandwich anyways. Would that be an ounce?

Since the way a particular deli meat is sliced can make a really big difference, I calculate it each time I buy it. I do this with cheeses too. Say you buy a pound. Count the number of slices you have in the pack. Then just divide the number of ounces (16) by the number of slices. This will tell you exactly how much each slice weighs. Of course this works with 1/2 and 1/4 pounds too. Just change up the number of ounces.