Losing at 1200 cals??

Options
2»

Replies

• DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've done close to 1200 and have lost 30lbs since the beginning of May. When I started to stall for a couple of weeks, I upped my carbs substantially with chicken breasts and egg whites, and i cut out as much sugar as possible, and the scale moved again.
  • soyasee
    soyasee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm actually doing pretty well staying at around 1200 calories a day eating basically protein, low carbs & even fruit. I follow the diet from dietaccess. com, an 11 day on 3 day off diet, it's working for me. I have a lot of weight to lose.
  • cathylovestim
    Options
    MFP assigned me to 1300 calories and when I began a year ago, it took 5 weeks for me to start losing. I hung in there and lost 17 pounds by mid-November. Then in January I fell off the wagon. I gained eight back and I climbed back on. MFP does work. LOG EVERYTHING! Even when I have really, really bad days it helps me to see exactly what I am doing and it holds me accountable. Drink 8 glasses of water daily. MFP definitely works. Best of luck to you!
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    Have you considered if you are accurate on counting of the calories?
    I not sure if you have a food scale or how much effort you are putting in to being accurate.
    Just a thought.
    I know gettting a scale truely helped me out allot.
  • Clovis33
    Options
    Just a little advice to those only doing cardio. Add weight training. There is a lot of information out there on how to incorporate weight training into your regular exercise program. Research some and do what fits into your schedule. Also, if you are doing the same cardio (always running) you might want to change up what you are doing. Your body gets used to the same old routine. You need a challenge! To those not eating the calories that are burned...You need to make sure you eat those calories. Its especially important if you burn a lot of calories. You cannot lose weight in a healthy way if you are starving your body. And although the scale is a convenient measuring tool, the inches lost and the reduction in body fat is more important (just my opinion!) :) And NO DIETING!! It's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE :) Eat as clean as you can most of the time and treat yourself every now and then!! A great DVD program for weights is The Butt Bible. It has 3 levels of upper and lower body workouts and is great if you are one that needs the direct instruction :)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just a little advice to those only doing cardio. Add weight training. There is a lot of information out there on how to incorporate weight training into your regular exercise program. Research some and do what fits into your schedule. Also, if you are doing the same cardio (always running) you might want to change up what you are doing. Your body gets used to the same old routine. You need a challenge! To those not eating the calories that are burned...You need to make sure you eat those calories. Its especially important if you burn a lot of calories. You cannot lose weight in a healthy way if you are starving your body. And although the scale is a convenient measuring tool, the inches lost and the reduction in body fat is more important (just my opinion!) :) And NO DIETING!! It's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE :) Eat as clean as you can most of the time and treat yourself every now and then!! A great DVD program for weights is The Butt Bible. It has 3 levels of upper and lower body workouts and is great if you are one that needs the direct instruction :)

Although, I agree with the weight training..... Explain to me why I need to eat the calories burned especially if I don't have a HRM? It's all a guesstimate. Same with MFP exercise calories burnt. I don't rely on it. Just my opinion
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I've been successful at 1200. My best days are little/no breakfast (I don't like eating breakfast), light lunch and "caveman" dinner.

I eat out for lunch, so I eliminate everything that is "high cost", like salad dressing, cheese, bread and starches. So, I have things like grilled chicken on a salad, chicken sandwich with lettuce for bun (or no bun), turkey burger with no bun, or steamed veggies/tofu with a small serving of brown rice (PF Chang's Bhudda's Feast for example).

For dinner, my favorites are lean protein and loads of veggies - things like grilled chicken, fish or shrimp with grilled squash and zucchini, maybe a baked butternut, spaghetti or acorn squash.

I also try to keep a big tupperware filled with cucumber spears, celery sticks, baby carrots, mushrooms, radishes, snap peas, cherry tomatoes and other fresh vegetables to supplement when I have the munchies.

I use my exercise calories to allow for dealing with bread, ice cream and other treats.

All that being said, it takes a lot of discipline to hold 1200, but when I do, it works. I figure if I can hit 1200 2-3 days a week, 1400-1600 3-4 days a week and eat without guilt 1 day a week, I'm on the right path and either maintain or lose 1-2 lbs. On weeks I actually do 1200 net the entire week, I'll drop 2-4 lbs.
  • nikkiw283
    Options
    I am set at 1200 calories and I have lost 27 lbs since I started in May. It definitely works!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Explain to me why I need to eat the calories burned ...

If your car gets 25 miles to the gallon, and you travel 100 miles a week, you need 4 gallons of gas per week, right?

If you decide to drive 10 miles extra each day, and you don't add more gas, you are going to be stranded on the side of the road sometime on Thursday.

Does that help?
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My first post. Currently what I'm trying is carb cycling. I read about it in Chris Powell's Choose to Lose book. Basically I combined high carb / low carb days, keeping my caloric intake to 1430 calories per day and doing interval cardio (30 minutes on the treadmill - walking 5 minute intervals with 1 minute running intervals) with weights thrown in every other workout. I'm down 4 pounds in my first week but I know much of that is water weight. 1200 calories would be too extreme - I'm hungry enough at 1430 calories - I am afraid that my body would shut down metabolically and go into starvation mode. I concur with the other posters - MFP makes it easy to log everything you eat. Weight loss has been most successful when I journal / log my food intake. I know I'm not supposed to weigh in every day but I do and I can definitely tell that I overate the previous day or didn't work out because I'll either stay the same weight or be slightly up.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm losing about a pound a week -- some weeks it's more, some less, but that's the average. MFP set my target at 1,200, but I increase it with exercise, and I eat most of the calories added for the exercise (at least half and sometimes as much as all). So I'm usually eating between 1,300-1,500 calories a day.
    I also drink at or above 64 oz a day and try to eat more fiber than MFP recommends. I'm doing light aerobics (sometimes just walking or yoga) and light weights (will probably work my way up some more). Following the MFP guidelines seems to work for me.
    Almost everyone I've seen post about problems with plateaus, hair loss, etc., has either not tracked consistently or has eaten under the recommended amounts. So I'd suggest you not go below the 1,200.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    1250 cal per day, 12.2 lb weight loss in the last 12 weeks.
  • shewdog
    Options
    1250 cal per day, 12.2 lb weight loss in the last 12 weeks.

That's pretty much what's happening to me, averaging a pound a week so far on about 1200 cals, plus I eat back most of my exercise burn off. But then I increase on the weekends to around 1400 cals - because I don't want to be a slave to a diet.
  • jholmden
    Options
    I have struggled and have not been successful in losing any weight until I started mfp this week. I have lost 6 lbs in my first week and notice that I am eating over my protein and under on carbs and fats. I am exerting about 3-4times per week for approximately 35 min so far and I am eating my exercise calories. Less than 1200 is too few calories and I think slow your metabolism.
  • Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    its working for me, slow but sure. Some days I do more but most days I stick to 1200
  • HakunaMatata519
    HakunaMatata519 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    1200 worked for me previously BUT I wasn't exercising. I was eatting 1200 a day (I tried to never go under that) and since I wasn't exercising, my body was getting what it "needed". If I was doing 1200 plus exercising, I'd either up my daily calorie intake, or eat back some of my exercise calories.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    1200 worked for me for about 5-6 months and then I plateaued for weeks. I raised my calories to over 1500 and stayed the same for another 3 weeks and then started losing again. I also increased protein. I don't care if it's slow, I am *so* much happier eating a little more! It looks like most of the people 1200 is working for haven't been doing it very long...
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    THanks for all the words of wisdom everyone!!!
  • I started doing 1200 calories a day in late March of 2011 and as of today September 2nd 2012 I am 204 pounds lighter. It has worked for me but I think my body has gotten use to it and I am struggling to lose a pound.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!