Replacing running shoes

Options
When should you replace running shoes? I've had mine since the end of March. I'm a beginner runner and I've only logged about 125 miles on them. But I'm still pretty heavy and IDK if that takes a toll on the life of the shoe or not. I imagine a shoe worn by a 244 pound woman would wear out faster than one worn by a 144 pound runner but IDK. What are some other ways to tell if they need replaced?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'll give the non-standard answer that works for me. I replace mine when they are worn through the bottom or so torn up inside that I get blisters on my heel. My current pair has about 1000 miles on them and still have life left.

Otherwise, replace them if you start feeling foot or leg pains that are caused by the shoe such as excessive wear on the outside bottom that causes you to overpronate.
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have heard anywhere between 150 and 250 miles. I am 280lbs-ish and I know when I was having knee problems my doctor suggested I replace mine every 150-200 miles.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    My current pair of shoes have over 350 miles on them and they are just starting to bother me. I'll be replacing them soon though I'm pretty sure I can get a few more miles out of them.

Runners World has articles that say you should replace them between 300-500 miles....with the heavier runners replacing them closer to the 300 mark. Mostly, you should pay attention to your body and replace them when you start getting unusual pain. I am starting to get shin splints....that tells me that its time to replace my shoes.

Good luck!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    What does IDK mean? :huh:
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I got fitted last weekend at a running store and I asked the same question, the answer I got is it depends on the shoe. The guy at the store said I could get 500 to 600 miles out of them, but I would think weight could be a factor. I was surprised by his response because I thought they should be changed out every 200 miles or so.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options

I don't know
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

I don't know

Oh thanks for clarifying that! Was it that hard to write I don't know? Any way I was always told to replace them every 300 miles if you are overweight and closer to 400 miles if you are of average weight. Also the surface that you run on can have an impact on the life of your shoes :)
  • cathylovestim
    Options
    We have an excellent running store near where I live and when I needed them I went there. If I were you I'd check to see if you have something similar where you live. They had me jog across their store so they could see my "form" or lack thereof. I am still a good 30 pounds overweight but when I went there I was about 55 pounds overweight. They were awesome and I got fitted with excellent shoes.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Depends on the shoe. Depends on your foot. Depends on your foot strike.

My Vibram FiveFinger KSO's have about 400 miles on them and are fine.

My ASICs 2150 made me want to stop running at about 50 miles.

I have about 15 pair of shoes with results between the two. Find what's right for you. Then buy them all.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    When should you replace running shoes? I've had mine since the end of March. I'm a beginner runner and I've only logged about 125 miles on them. But I'm still pretty heavy and IDK if that takes a toll on the life of the shoe or not. I imagine a shoe worn by a 244 pound woman would wear out faster than one worn by a 144 pound runner but IDK. What are some other ways to tell if they need replaced?

Are yours starting to feel different, or you're getting suspicious pains, or the support looks physically broken down?
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The standard answer is between 300 and 500 miles. If you're on the heavier side, closer to 300, if you're lighter, closer to 500. It also depends on the shoe. If you're wearing a cushion shoe, you can get closer to the 500 side regardless of weight. If you're wearing a minimalist shoe, you'll be on the 300 side. I have 332 miles on one pair and am rotating in a new pair (only 23 miles on them so far). I can always tell when a pair is done because my knees start aching during/after runs.
  • greeneyedmama81
    greeneyedmama81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input.