862 calories burned... is this possible?

Options
I bought the FT40 Women's HRM and I'm loving it so far, but I don't know if I can trust it.

Stats:
Female
5'3.5"
150lb
22 years old

I just worked out for 80 minutes and it said I burned 862 calories.
I do intervals and when I'm running my heart rate maxed out at ~193 (just for the last minute) but stays between 160-180 through most of my workout. It drops in the mid 140s for a couple of minutes when I'm stretching between sets/doing less intense stuff.

Breakdown of workout:

40 minute treadmill (mix of walking at steep incline and running 1 mile no incline)
15 minutes free weights (exercises from 30DS - I bend my knees and crouch while curling, etc to engage my leg muscles)
23 minutes bike (slower easy pace for majority of ride - HR in 150s. I do sprint twice for 2 mins where HR gets to 170)
4 min abs/stretching on balance ball

does an 862 calorie burn sound at all accurate? it just seems like a lot of calories to me and I need to know how many calories to eat back.

thanks in advance!

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    That 40 min treadmill will add up quick. I run for 15-20 mins on the treadmill and generally burn ~200 cal. So your number seems pretty close. HRMs are usually a safe bet
  • DevonW32
    DevonW32 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sounds accurate.....I do 90 mins on the treadmill on a incline and burn close to 1000 cals
  • chicagospeechie
    chicagospeechie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    great, thanks all. now I need to figure out some healthy high calorie options - ha.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I can usually burn up to 400 cals in 60 mins of walking/running cycling, but I'm a bit lighter than you, and my workouts are nowhere near the level of intensity that yours sound like, and I can't get my heart-rate up to anywhere near that level. So, it sounds reasonable to me for that kind of workout.
  • vanessamcinnis
    vanessamcinnis Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I run for 75 minutes on my elliptical and I always lose over 800 calories...Your question is possible :smile:
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sounds totally possible. And eat all those cals back. Make sure a lot of the calories come from protein =)
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yes sounds about right. Your heart rate is sitting quite high for the work you're doing, but that will come down as you get fitter. Obviously you will burn more cals at higher heart rate. Keep up the good work!
  • chicagospeechie
    Options
    Yes sounds about right. Your heart rate is sitting quite high for the work you're doing, but that will come down as you get fitter. Obviously you will burn more cals at higher heart rate. Keep up the good work!
    thanks! yeah, the high heart rate is a combo of not working out for a year... eek. and being anemic. I have less O2 in my body so I'm guessing my heart has to pump a lot harder than usual. I'm on iron replacement therapy right now so hoping to get that in check as well. I need to read up a little on the dangers of my heart getting so high during some of the intervals, but that is a whole new topic. :)
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Absolutely your heart will have to work extra hard to deliver oxygen to your tissues.
    My heart rate was averaging in 170s when i started cardio again after many months being very sick and on steroids. Now its more like 150/160s doing the same effort.
    You will get your fitness back quickly. Keep it up! X
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just burned 880 calories on an 80 minute run so I will say very possible!

My heart rate got to 160-165 at times.
  • 21June
    Options
    Sounds okay to me! I have burnt about that doing about 70 minutes on my stationary bike at home. :smile:
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Actually as a rule of thumb, for an hours training you do not need any extra fuel or food....

It's that minimal.... Hell you do not even need water for that time (Although it does affect performance slightly, but so does stopping water table...)

So healthy calorie options just because it says extra? No.... just don't worry about it... have a bit more here or there with your normal day, don't need to go out of the way for that time... if you train over 2hrs then you NEED to have some recovery nutrition planned..... Muscles + liver will be depleted which isn't too good and can lead to a really foggy brain kind of feeling if severe depeletion...

Not using your liver stores if under that so yea... and muscles not much below hr...
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Very possible. I've logged 800+ calorie burns in an hour.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty do-able. When I run I burn about 130 calories a mile. I'll run 5k (3.1 miles) a day and burn 400-450 calories (before stretching etc).

fwiw, I don't "eat back". I fuel my body approximately the same way every day (about 1600 calories). Some days I work out, some days I don't.
  • chicagospeechie
    Options
    Actually as a rule of thumb, for an hours training you do not need any extra fuel or food....

It's that minimal.... Hell you do not even need water for that time (Although it does affect performance slightly, but so does stopping water table...)

So healthy calorie options just because it says extra? No.... just don't worry about it... have a bit more here or there with your normal day, don't need to go out of the way for that time... if you train over 2hrs then you NEED to have some recovery nutrition planned..... Muscles + liver will be depleted which isn't too good and can lead to a really foggy brain kind of feeling if severe depeletion...

Not using your liver stores if under that so yea... and muscles not much below hr...
    If I didn't eat back my exercise calories, I would net 438 calories for the day and that can't be healthy. MFP only has me on 1,300 calories so I try to eat back a good portion of my exercise calories with lean meat, whole grains, low fat cheese/yogurt, or a protein shake most recently (made w/ 1 cup almond milk, 1 scoop protein, 1 banana).
  • Skeen903
    Skeen903 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me, I went running outside with a friend yesterday (jogged/walked) and burned 1045 calories in 90 mins. :) You are good to go I would say!
  • fixintoloseit
    fixintoloseit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i'm glad you posted this question. there's a fitness tracker at my gym & it keeps track of calories burned based on which machines you log into & if you took a class, etc. it's never the same as myfitnesspals estimates, actually the one at the gym states MORE calories burned than fitnesspal does. i wonder which is more accurate. i'm using the lesser of the two, just to play it safe.