Anyone successfully lose weight eating 1200 cal or less?

Options
That's pretty much it! :)

Replies

• kmg45
    Options
    I successfully lost wieght eating 1200 cal diet since May 2012.
  • BigRich822
    Options
    Thats too low!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I lost 140 lbs in 7 months on 1200-1300 calories a day.
  • sc0ttie
    Options
    Simple answer is yes, people have lost weight eating 1200 calories.

Much better answer is no, you won't healthfully lose weight eating that few calories.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Much better answer is no, you won't healthfully lose weight loose weight eating that few calories.

This. Plus, you're more likely to gain back all the weight once you start eating your BMR/maintenance level if you lose on a low-calorie diet.
  • happythermia
    Options
    Yep. I've been netting 1200 a day and it's been working for me.
    (but I'm really petite)
  • bevie19
    bevie19 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been doing that since March and have lost 43 pounds so far. As a female, 1200 calories is fine if you're trying to lose weight. I eat enough protein, fat and carbs and I take a multi-vitamin, calcium and fish oil. I'm really happy with my progress.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yes. I try very hard to not eat LESS than 1200....I eat more if I exercise.
  • Tarek307
    Options
    of course people will lose weight doing that! - & of course you will get the "Lectures" dont eat 1200 or less, thats too low, blah blah blah..... i eat less than a 1,000 & am doing just fine!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Yup! It worked for me because I do not have emotional eating issue or eating disorders.

This is why stomach staple works, you are just doing what they can't do on their own.

There is no evidence of starvation mode for men over 6% BF or woman over 12% body fat.

Since I am under 12% BF I can't eat that low or I risk starvation mode. Make sense? But when I was obese I could eat that low because I had BF reserves which prevented me from going into starvation mode. That's how it works.

This is not recommended for people with eating disorders or emotional eating problems like binging because then you might yo-yo.

I have kept it off a year so the nonsense that you will gain it back if you eat that low is, well, nonsense. emotional reaction to the starvation mode myth.
  • Nhymeria
    Nhymeria Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It has been working for me. I've only been doing it 2 months now.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories for the first few months then I upped it to 1320, for me that is a 1lb a week loss goal. I am much happier at 1320. I exercise 200-300 cals per day so my total is about 1500-1600 per day. This seems to work pretty well for me. 1200 is tough to maintain!
  • laracolette
    laracolette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did that for the first week and lost weight, but it was hard and I wanted to binge almost every single night, this week I'm doing about 1500, losing the same amount of weight and feeling much better! I guess it's all about how your body reacts though :)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I've been netting 1300 and it's working for me so far. I plan to up it slowly the closer I get to my GW, I want to be up to my BMR for my height and GW once I get there.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Thats too low!
    Depends on the person. I am small and close to goal. My bmr is only 1301.My maintenance calories are only around 1400.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Much better answer is no, you won't healthfully lose weight loose weight eating that few calories.

This. Plus, you're more likely to gain back all the weight once you start eating your BMR/maintenance level if you lose on a low-calorie diet.

I beg to differ. With a properly balanced diet you'll be just fine at 1200. Hungry but fine. I did have my blood drawn every month to make sure I was deficient in anything. Also not only did I not gain weight when I adjusted up (each time theres a water spike for up to a week, but then it normalizes) but I countinued to lose with every adjustment until I got to 3250 daily (4 months at this much now) I even cut my cardio from 7 days to 3. Its all in the math. Make sure you have everything dialed in and you'll be fine.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Sure you can... But why would you want to?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Also it really depends mostly on your height. I'm short 5'1" so I need less calories than a taller girl. Taller girls would have a harder time with this unless they have a lot of fat reserves to draw from.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much it! :)
    Was stuck for 9 months eating more, eating back exercise cals, BMR rah rah rah and started on 1200cals this week have lost 1.9kgs in a week - training 6 days a week, eating plenty of protein and good carbs...will see what happens on weigh in Wednesday!
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thats too low!
    Depends on the person. I am small and close to goal. My bmr is only 1301.My maintenance calories are only around 1400.

Don't you want to eat more than your BMR? That can't be healthy if your eating BMR....