Personal Trainers

Options
Are they worth it??
I work with a girl who has one she also competes in those fitness model stuff but I was wondering What do they teach ya that you cant already learn from the web but I have never had one do they just motivate you ? What exactely do they do??

Replies

• Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer now. He motivates me and my man. He knows what excersizes to do to target certain areas of the body. He switches back and forth from weight training and cardio. plus he is a great motivator. Definitely worth it! you will see a difference within a cpl weeks if they know what they are doing. Try it out for a month and see.
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Well a good one can motivate, give you a workout made for your needs, watch to make sure your doing it right so you don't get hurt, and bug you if you think your just going to skip this day.
    As long as you fined a good one then yah there worth it, I think.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    they are so expensive.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Look at me. My PT did that. Well worth it. :love: Oh, and he is a HOT fitness model too.

With regards cost, yes it can work out expensive, but I figured that my life was worth it - In January I was contemplating using crutches or motorised wheelchairs to get about due to me needing a knee replacement. I am a new woman and not a walking aid in sight!
  • smaschin
    Options
    I had a personal trainer the other day in the gym telling me there was a better exercise for my Traps, seeing as his shoulders looked like a broken coat hanger and he had no idea what i was trying to achieve at the time i told him to jog on, eat some chicken and go play with himself over muscle and fitness magazine and keep dreaming.

Most of the ones i know have no real gym experience, and have very little worth listening to especially at their over inflated prices.

There are of course exception to the rules of course.

Peace

P.S I am qualified myself I have just never bothered to use it, I did ACE ages ago, it was easy, needed little study from what I already knew, always useful to have an extra cert though.

;-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'd say they are.. With the help of my 3 trainers, I've lost over 30 pounds and 6 sizes.

Websites are great and all, but when it comes to form, you really need someone there who knows what they are doing. When I lift, I know my form is correct because I've had someone there watching me and telling me what I am doing wrong.

Plus, I'm just lazy. I don't want to spend hours sitting on the internet sifting through weight lifting routines or websites with a bunch of exercises, then figure out which ones I want to do, how many reps/sets, etc. I'd much rather pay someone however much to come up with it for me, and then I can just go when I'm at the gym.

My current trainer has been in the business for 5 years and has 3 certifications.. so I trust what he has to say... and so far he hasn't steered me wrong!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer the other day in the gym telling me there was a better exercise for my Traps, seeing as his shoulders looked like a broken coat hanger

^ HAHaahahhahah
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    ... With the help of my 3 trainers, I've lost over 3 pounds....

I know that's meant to say 30lbs, but reading as it stands made me snort coffee out my nose :laugh:
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want. Someone mentioned they are expensive, which usually they are. My gym has a free service and the girl is very competent, but she's not the type of trainer that will customize a workout for everyone in the gym. Those are the ones that cost.... Make sure they know what they are talking about. I've had them approach me in other gyms and act like everyone there doesn't know that exercise helps lower your blood pressure and cholesterol. No kidding, really? Or the ones that say "fat turns to muscle and vice versa..." Those ones don't know what they are talking about, and so, will be a waste of time and money. At one gym the one trainer was actually a medical student (how she was working and going to school, no idea!) but everyone wanted her because obviously she was on top of the game. But that was before the Internet... I'd just search for some information first. I follow a bunch of "accounts" on Twitter that always post good exercises for all body parts and types, pre and post workouts, how to eat well, etc. I wouldn't hire one of them even if I had the money, honestly.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Edit: need more coffee before posting so I can be coherent. =)

Are they worth it? Yes, depending on your needs. For me, best decision ever.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer is on MFP (but he doesn't post here). I went to a personal trainer because I needed motivation and consistency. I needed help getting back on track basically. Having a set appointment once/week helps and having someone rooting for me also helps.

Another reason to go to a personal trainer is if you have never done weights, a personal trainer can help with your form and help set you up on a program.

Is my personal trainer worth it? Absolutely.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i had a PT that ws very very good, but i also think that since i had a basic knowledge of fitness, and with some clear goals in mind, it helped him formulate a plan that was tailored to my needs, instead of a basic "get you in shape" plan that he does with others. i pretty much told him "no machines, only free weights," and that i wanted to compete in mud runs, triathlons, and learn olympic lifts.

as for them being expensive... yeah, they can be if you get one three days a week for 6 months. but i met with this guy once a month. it was good because i looked forward to it. he would show me things, and i'd ask questions about what i had learned over the last few weeks, and we'd work out.

consistently seeing a PT at a gym three days a week just seems like such a chore. you'd stop looking forward to the work outs because they'd probably keep being so tough.

my PT was worth every cent.
  • MyTime1207
    MyTime1207 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer now. He motivates me and my man. He knows what excersizes to do to target certain areas of the body. He switches back and forth from weight training and cardio. plus he is a great motivator. Definitely worth it! you will see a difference within a cpl weeks if they know what they are doing. Try it out for a month and see.
    We are definitely motivators and help push you when you need it the most.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    For me, having a personal trainer is well worth the expense, but you have to find the right one. My PT draws up programmes for me, taught me how to lift with correct form, motivates me and gives me good advise. I work out 6 days a week, sometimes more than once a day, but only 1 hour a week with my PT where we only do strength training.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    At my gym you can only sign up for 6 months (some trainers will agree to 3 months). It is too expensive for me. Also, I don't want some person following me around and hanging over me when I am trying to exercise and telling me what to do with my life. I like to be self-motivated and alone. However, I wish they would offer shorter packages that cost less and give me a few sessions so that I could get some expert help on making sure I have good form on some very key, specific compound weight lifting moves. They say they only give the training in large packages because you can't gain anything from a short amount of training. That's complete BS. I am a dancer and I studied all the stuff he studied in school about the body (anatomy, physiology biology, kinesiology). I just want a little guidance with setting some things up, knowing where some things are, and having an outside eye on my form when trying weights that are heavier than I have lifted before. Even one session with a trainer would be fine. But, no, they won't do that. Or if that's not good I could sign up for a smaller package, but no they won't do that. I have to pay 1000 dollars to be committed to 3 months worth of training. No, thank you. But, it does have many benefits, if it is affordable. I have some friends that are trainers (don't live near me since I moved).
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've got a personal trainer, and I think he's worth the money! I've lost 42lbs over the past year, but it's not all about the weight loss. I could've probably lost the weight on my own, but i'd have just done cardio at the gym and I wouldn't have lost the same amount of inches, and I wouldn't have toned up so much.

My PT does different things every session with me, focusing on different areas, which I wouldn't be able to do myself. I had a session yesterday and he designed a circuit for me, and we used the aerobics studio as it was free, so it was nice to have more privacy when I worked out. He also pushes me, whereas when I go on my own I don't think I push myself as much.

It's motivating to have someone with you when you exercise, and to measure you at regular intervals, and to give you a kick up the ar*e. I can now do up trousers that I haven't worn for 10 years, which is pretty good considering I'm 34 and I've had 2 kids quite close together (now 3 and 1).
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    If you can find the money to spend its worth it in my opinion. My fiance and I have one, it cost $260 for 4 sessions fro both ($130 each). He seems to motivate us a lot when we work out. Plus after his "workout/routine" he gives us a sheet of what we did so we can work on that stuff until are next workout. He like to push us and motivates us but understands not to kill us. He builds on what we know and teaches us on other. Plus he helps with nutrition if we want.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    "Value" is in the eye of the beholder. A good trainer can definitely help you see results faster and more effectively, however, each individual has to decide whether the service is worth the cost. Often, people can get good results on their own, or it might take a little longer to get there, so I would never say that a trainer is an absolute necessity. But it's no different that learning any other skill--you can often figure out a golf swing on your own, but I learned more in one 6-hour class with a PGA teaching pro than I did in 2 years at the driving range.

A good trainer will have the depth of knowledge and experience to listen to your goals, assess your ability and fitness level, and determine the best plan to meet those goals. Good trainers are not only motivating, but they are good problem-solvers. They also have the confidence and skill to use every exercise modality available, and not force people into one particular plan or one set philosophy. Good trainers will be focused on their clients during the session--not looking at themselves in the mirror, texting friends, etc. They won't let you slack off with bad form. To me, even more important than being "motivating", a good trainer will know how hard to push you to get the best results--and when NOT to push you, as well.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Why do trainers lock you into contracts? Couldn't more flexibility around arrangements potentially mean more of a different kind of business?

A one-off 'intro to form' + program design session & maybe some reading recommendations would be well worthwhile. Maybe a check-in every couple of months, as needed (again, on a one-off basis).

I wouldn't pay for ongoing sessions.
  • smaschin
    Options
    Why do trainers lock you into contracts? Couldn't more flexibility around arrangements potentially mean more of a different kind of business?

A one-off 'intro to form' + program design session & maybe some reading recommendations would be well worthwhile. Maybe a check-in every couple of months, as needed (again, on a one-off basis).

I wouldn't pay for ongoing sessions.

Because people give up and the trainer gets to keep the dosh ;-)

Also I imagine they have busy diaries so book in advance, I know I would