Not attacking the fridge, How do you do it?

Options
2»

Replies

• debslily
    debslily Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    the water and tea are an awesome idea. I chew on a few almonds or sunflower kernels. good fat and nuts are supposed to help feel full.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I eat enough throughout the day, but once I'm sitting down I want to just chow down. I know its not hunger cause I could eat even after I am stuffed.

Couple of things:
    1) Always save a couple of hundred calories to eat in the evening if you know you're going to get like this.
    2) Ration yourself so you don't sit there stuffing your face like there's no tomorrow for the first 5 minutes then crave other stuff.
    3) You're bored in the evenings. Stop watching crap on TV. If it isn't crap, you wouldn't find it boring and thus want to stuff your face with food!

I will try saving some calories.

Honestly I have very little bad snacks maybe once every couple of weeks we may have some chips. I just like to eat food.

I usually stay up late with hubby because that is our only alone time while the kids are asleep, I can not give that up, we need that time alone. Like I said I invest in tea and that helps, its just in my mind I I think of food more often then my husband does. even if I dont touch the stuff.

Someone also mentioned that they dont start eating till later on in the day, and that may be why I want to eat late, I will just make sure to make the same good choices at night that I do throughout the day.

Thank you all for your advice, very helpful.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have a small portion of whatever "snack" it is I want and a glass of water.

One cookie, glass of water.
    Five potato chips, glass of water.
    Quarter cup of ice cream, glass of water.
    Two or three pieces of candy, glass of water.
    One or two squares of a chocolate bar, glass of water.

Not only do I appreciate whatever it is I'm eating more, I don't feel like I'm depriving myself and I usually satisfy whatever craving I have in a few bites anyway. The glass of water helps me to feel fuller, so I don't want to keep eating after that.

If I don't want anything specific and I just want my mouth busy, I munch on celery, carrots, etc. Celery has like, 5 calories for a big stalk.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I eat enough throughout the day, but once I'm sitting down I want to just chow down. I know its not hunger cause I could eat even after I am stuffed.

Couple of things:
    1) Always save a couple of hundred calories to eat in the evening if you know you're going to get like this.
    2) Ration yourself so you don't sit there stuffing your face like there's no tomorrow for the first 5 minutes then crave other stuff.
    3) You're bored in the evenings. Stop watching crap on TV. If it isn't crap, you wouldn't find it boring and thus want to stuff your face with food!

I will try saving some calories.

Honestly I have very little bad snacks maybe once every couple of weeks we may have some chips. I just like to eat food.

I usually stay up late with hubby because that is our only alone time while the kids are asleep, I can not give that up, we need that time alone. Like I said I invest in tea and that helps, its just in my mind I I think of food more often then my husband does. even if I dont touch the stuff.

Someone also mentioned that they dont start eating till later on in the day, and that may be why I want to eat late, I will just make sure to make the same good choices at night that I do throughout the day.

Thank you all for your advice, very helpful.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have this time but if you fill it with something else eg a hobby you can both do together, you'll find the time spent is quality time and it will fly by so you don't even think of snacking. :-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Plan your daily intake to allow for a healthy evening snack? ( a piece of fruit maybe)
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    oh gosh, I'm exactly the same! I go to the kitchen and cut off a small piece of bread, a little biscuit from the pantry, some cereal, before I even realise that I DON'T need to eat it. Then I eat it and regret it. But all those suggestions are really really good! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one like that.

When I have it, I chew on sugar free chewing gum - because pretty much nothing mixes well with a minty flavour! I also typed up a sticky on my desktop and I write on it 'yes' or 'no' for the days when I ate 'responsibly'. I'm going to grade myself each month for how many days I ate 'responsibly' (I don't actually have a definition of 'responsibly', aside from it meaning mindful, healthy eating). Dude, if there were a 'snackers/grazers anonymous' I'd be in it. I swear it's the snacking that's preventing me from losing as much weight as I could.
  • clarkindee
    clarkindee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You've trained yourself to snack/munch at night....so do the same thing in opposite. Train yourself to NOT eat at night while witting around watching TV. After a week or two it won't even take any effort to not sit around and eat snacks at night.

Great answer and I totally agree. If you are eating enough calories you aren't really hungry. SO MUCH of this whole thing is mental. One other tip --- the more you watch TV (unless you are watching non commercial TV) the more you will think about food. You are being bombarded with images of food. How can you not think about it then?

Make a new nightly routine and stick to it. If you have extra time, take one last walk around the block, work on a project, do a quick load of laundry, organize your clothes and stuff for tomorrow. What ever you do--don't let it have to do with the food or kitchen. My rule is, once dinner is over and the kitchen is cleaned up, it is CLOSED FOR THE NIGHT. I won't even go in there. Good luck!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    What did that poor fridge ever do to you?
    I hope it attacks you back...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrae8_w0gLk9KfoMq-WZC4mL5JN2uTBaZ4Qo1rKkRiExKz4g5VIw
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Make yourself some homemade protein bars.

I workout late and that is what I have when I get home with a tablespoon of almond butter. I need the protein after my workout and some of the bars I make are so good I feel like I'm eating a dessert.

Jamie Eason has some good recipes
    Dashing Dish has a good carrot cake protein muffin

Just do some searching for a kind that you like and make up enough for the week. keep them in the fridge and you're good to go.
  • clarkindee
    clarkindee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!!!!!! (fridge attack pic).:laugh: