ADVICE FROM RUNNERS, MARATHONERS &/OR 5K PARTICIPANTS!!!

Options
Hi Everyone!

My daughter has asked me to participate in the Komen Oklahoma Race For the Cure 5K on October 27th. I have been working out consistently since January and have done well with consistency and weight loss. Twice a week I do sprints on my treadmill, which consist of running at a comfortable pace for 4 - 5 minutes, running at top speed for 15 seconds on then off for 4-5 minutes, then jogging at a comfortable pace for 4-5 minutes and finally finishing up with interval walk/runs. My intervals consist of jogging at a slightly uncomfortable pace for one minute then walking around 3 miles an hour for one minute. I usually do these workouts for 20-30 minutes and then do some form of aerobics (Zumba, etc.) for 40 minutes (not including warmup, cool down and stretching). Also, once a week I do an hour walk on the treadmill in which I slowly increase my incline until I'm at 6 or 7. On the other days of the week I do a Firm Express video that incorporates aerobics with weights and a Kettlebell workout. Sometimes I add a toning workout for abs, hips and thighs to mix things up.

I'm working on incorporating more clean, healthy foods into my diet. I drink approximately 120 ounces of water everyday and get at least 7 hours of sleep most nights.

MY QUESTION IS after reading what I am already doing how should I prepare for this 5K? At my best it takes me 55 minutes to walk/run/jog 3.10 miles. I would like to try to get that down to at least 48 minutes by October - I don't even know if this is possble (hence my post here). At this point I can only jog for about ten minutes straight at a time at somewhere between 3.5 - 3.8 miles an hour. I'd like to increase that. After pushing myself yesterday on the treadmill to see how fast I could complete a 5K I found that I really have very little endurance. After getting 2 miles done in 35 minutes I was spent! It took an extra 20 minutes to do the last 1.10 miles. My daughter wants to do the timed 5K, which I don't mind doing if I can increase my speed and endurance. Any advice?

H E L P! ! !

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend doing a couch to 5K program. There are many available, you can download an app if you have a smart phone. This program really works and will get you where you want to be.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yep C25K app or you can see the schedule at coolrunning.com. It is a 3 day a week program that lasts 9 weeks and by the end of the 9 weeks you should be able to run/jog a 5k.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5 k.

Google it -- helps a lot!!

Enjoy the 5K!:) I want to go on the color run
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You can't run a race on a treadmill. Get outside and log some miles in the great outdoors.

Running outside is different as you no longer have a belt driving you. By running outside you prepare for the elements of a road race.

Couch to 5k will get you where you need to be. But do try and do some of it out of doors.

Its even better if you can find a group or clinic to run with as this will keep you engaged and may provide some first hand coaching.

Good luck!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Aside from the Couch to 5k program (which I also recommend) I suggest running outside, when you can. There's a bit of difference to running on a treadmill and running outside. It'll help you to be better prepared in the long run.=)
  • Chigger56
    Options
    I agree with Jeff above me. Get off the treadmill and get outside and run. You will be surprised how different it is as you have to use your body to propell you and not the track on the treadmill doing it. I am a runner. Have never used the C25K but I hear it is good.
  • cec813
    cec813 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for my first 5K in November. When I started I was at 55 minutes for 5K as well. I dont do the c25K because I cant run well due to low lung capacity and c25k wants me running. I set the treadmill to the speed that is comfortable, then add a tenth or two. eventually that speed will become comfotable and add a tenth to that.

In two months I have dropped to below 45 minutes
  • nascarbettie
    nascarbettie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the OKC Komen race. I'm doing the 5k. This will be the second time I've done this race. There is very little incline on the track so you don't have to worry too much about that. I'm not a runner but I'm working up to that. Just do the best you can. It's no pass or fail here. You are a winner because you are doing it. I work on endurance before a race. It's the end of October so it shouldn't be too hot. That will help a lot. Feel free to add me or message me any questions. Good Luck on the race. :-)
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    ditto the others about c25k, it's a good program to start with. At first, focus less on speed & more on maintaining a steady pace that you can finish the session with. So, if you're on a day where you Walk 1 min/ Run 1 min (or whatever it is, I can't remember exactly how it starts..) Try to go at a speed where you can complete the entire minute of running. (even if you think it is super slow) You might get to the end of the 30 mins and are struggling to complete the last few runs, that's ok. Go on to the next day and try again. If at the end of a week (before the run/walk rotation changes) you are still really struggling, it is ok to repeat a week.

Also, try to run outside more. Treadmill running is "easy" compared to roads and you don't want to be surprised on race day. partly because the roads are never totally flat but mostly because of changing weather. (IMO)

Race day tends to get people excited and they can go a little faster than they had in training. (depending on course support/cheering/weather..etc.) Don't get too hung up on your overall time for your first 5k, do the best you can & have a good time.
  • nascarbettie
    nascarbettie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5 k.

Google it -- helps a lot!!

Enjoy the 5K!:) I want to go on the color run

I did it in July. It was a BLAST!!!! I look forward to next year. They promised not to come when it's 105 outside lol.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I have a couple 5Ks coming up... and am hoping that I can increase my speed and decrease the time that it takes me to complete them. Anyway - what I found is similar to something that was said above.... get outside and work on jogging on a ground that will be similar to the race. It's sooooo much different than doing the distance in a gym! I found that I was tiring much earlier and wasn't covering the distance like I could on a machine. So -- definitely get outside... but, I'm guessing that 2 months is enough time to shave some minutes off your time... I hope it is, since that's also my goal! :)

Good Luck!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My advice is....

Run outside!

You will be shocked at how much energy it zaps when you start running in the real world. For some people, it adds to their time by 10 - 20%. Do it now, don't wait the day of the event to run outside.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i would recommend the couch to 5k programme, helped me last year when i first started running. Also, you need to embrace the great outdoors and go for a run! soooo much nicer than being stuck on a treadmill. good luck
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    C25K is great from what I hear. I never used it but I know that sooooo many people have had amazing success with it. All I did was after I had been walking a lot and really feeling like I just wanted to run, I did. I ran as far as I could which was about a mile or just under that. I did that a few times and then when I would get that far and walk for a minute and then run a little more I would do that. I just kept trying to go a little further even when it was only one or two light posts further. My longest run so far (last Friday) was 8.1 miles. Just keep at it and you'll get there.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    You won't have time to do couch to 5K most likely but the idea of it is good. Check out 5k training options online! They are free and can help you to build a running routine. It sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    just go outside and run. run until you are tired. and then around and run home. in my opinion, if you are already doing something like interval sprints on a treadmill, C25k is not the right fit for you. or it could be, but you would probably be able to start on week 2 at least.

seriously, when you go outside, either run for distance, or for speed. never both. download an app for your phone like runkeeper, cardio tracker, or mapmyrun to help keep track of things like speed and distance.
  • izzybizzy92
    Options
    First off...good for you! I am also participating in my first 5k this October. For the past 3 years I was strictly an "indoor runner" only running on the elliptical, but for about 40-60 minutes. When I decided to start training for the 5k I was so surprised at how different/difficult it is running outside than running on a machine. I heavily recommend running outside 3-4 times a week and doing cross training exercises on the treadmill. If you do this, you'll workup to running/walking the 5k really fast...but don't be surprised if it's challenging to even run a couple of miles outside.

Hope this helps!
  • bpmartyr
    Options
    Run outside.
    Run more.
    Push through, when you think you can't go any further, go further anyway.
    Get good shoes.
    Warm up some before a run with some dynamic movements but DO NOT static stretch before.
    Do some moderate static stretches after and then ice shins if there is any discomfort..
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    C25K!!!! I'm doing it and it is awesome!
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree ...take it outside if you can. If you can't take it outside, make sure you have the treadmill on an incline.

Try other exercises as well like high knees and butt kickers. They help get different muscles in the legs going which in turn helps your run a ton. Don't do these on the treadmill of course.... just do them on the floor. Try 20 to 30 second intervals.

The only other thing I'd add is make sure you have proper shoes, watch your form while running, and just enjoy yourself!
    Running can be very relaxing and enjoyable.

Good luck on this 5K and your future runs!!!