TUNA FISH!!!

Options
:flowerforyou: Alright. Now I need help/advice. Firstly, is it true that tuna fish is good for you? I don't have many options for my lunch at work and tuna is one of them. However the mayo KILLS ME :cry: . I put relish in my tuna too. How good is tuna for a diet too if it is good?

Now IF tuna is good to eat what is a way to make it without the fat of mayo?

I am not a biggy with seafood. Tuna fish and fish sticks are all i eat so anything that calm down the flavor would be helpful. Like mayo would normally do :drinker:

Replies

• wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I eat tuna a lot. I do use Hellmans lite mayo. Cant eat it any other way!
  • justiningham
    justiningham Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I use tzasiki - its delicious and very healthy :-)
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I haaate mayo.. :sick:

I mix my tuna with two Laughing Cow (extra Light) cheese triangles. :drinker:
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    my daycare kids prefer it with lite ranch mixed in. I make chicken salad this way too, Sams club has canned chicken and it is fantastic!!! For myself I have gone down to light miracle whip, but can't seem to enjoy the fat free.
    I also make it on a flat bun with some fat free or lite cheese on top and toast it (tuna that is). I will only eat the albacore in water myself. The oil is nasty and the cheaper tuna has a fishier flavor I can't get used too.

Now, we have been experimenting with salmon and cod too. If we put it in foil packet with a little lemon juice, olive oil and some greek seasoning or lawrys we like that too.
    My favorite lunch of all time was when I took a hot pan with EVOO and garlic chips and fried them till crispy, threw in a fillet of tilapia (trim the dark strip in the middle) and cook on both sides in the hot pan for about 3 minutes per side lightly salt and peppering each. I would make it up for 3 days leftover and use a divided container with mixed vegies on the other side. Tilapia has no fishy flavor if you take out the dark stip and is CHEAP!
  • ndwyer0910
    ndwyer0910 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Im making my shopping list now haha :drinker:

I have never tried Tilapia but I will try that recipe you just gave me.

I never thought of using cheese too sounds good though and the miracle whip. I tried fat free mayo once and well...:sick: ....but i dont think ive ever had miracle whip. Gonna try that too
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    I use a little bit of Greek yogurt (Fage 2%) instead of mayo.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I get the Starkist flavored tuna in a pouch and eat it right out of the pouch. I get lemon pepper and sweet & spicy. They are really tasty and a great way to get lean protein. I need it COLD though!
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like the flavored ones in the pouch too, either straight out of the pouch, or mixed in with a salad. If I get plain tuna I mix it with salsa.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a fan of seafood but i will do tuna if enough stuff is in there to mask the fish flavor. I like to buy the Starkist pouches that are called Sandwich ready. I just open , scoop it out and put it on my pita or salad. I dont add anything to it. Its 100 calories but it does have 400mg of sodium.

I also buy the regular pouches and i add mustard, ( sometimes lite mayo) and relish and chop some onions and i put dill ( spice) in mine also.....low calories and much lower sodium.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I use ketchup with Tuna just a tablespoon of it and it takes out the dryness. Um to me when I first started eating tuna I couldn't for the life of me stand how dry it was so I added some ketchup and it tastes all better now.
  • cohophysh
    Options
    Tuna fish is good, however, do a little research because tuna can be high in mercury, and there are some guidelines for women of child bearing years.
  • EmpressHollie
    EmpressHollie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i use mustard and pepper only. not too back, great protein and easy to eat for lunc
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    tuna with a splash or 2 of vinegar is nice
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I used plain Greek yogurt (chobani)- about 1.5 oz and add sliced green onion. It was an easy switch from mayo, high in protein, zero fat!
  • ndwyer0910
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Alright. Now I need help/advice. Firstly, is it true that tuna fish is good for you? I don't have many options for my lunch at work and tuna is one of them. However the mayo KILLS ME :cry: . I put relish in my tuna too. How good is tuna for a diet too if it is good?

Now IF tuna is good to eat what is a way to make it without the fat of mayo?

I am not a biggy with seafood. Tuna fish and fish sticks are all i eat so anything that calm down the flavor would be helpful. Like mayo would normally do :drinker:

What do you mean how good is it for diet? Calories in vs calories. You won't lose more weight by eating a specific type of food if calories are the same.

If you don't want to eat it, don't.

My friend was telling me last night that it has high concentrations of mercury.I didn't look in to it yet, but he may be right. When I do eat tuna, I use light mayo. Salsa is another option.

Yeah as in calories. I do like to eat it though as long as there is something mixed with it. Also it is an easy lunch. YOu are the second person to mention the mercury though.I am going to look that up.
  • ndwyer0910
    Options
    Well I did just find this.....

2004 EPA and FDA Advice For:
    Women Who Might Become Pregnant
    Women Who are Pregnant
    Nursing Mothers
    Young Children

Fish and shellfish are an important part of a healthy diet. Fish and shellfish contain high-quality protein and other essential nutrients, are low in saturated fat, and contain omega-3 fatty acids. A well-balanced diet that includes a variety of fish and shellfish can contribute to heart health and children's proper growth and development. So, women and young children in particular should include fish or shellfish in their diets due to the many nutritional benefits.

However, nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of mercury. For most people, the risk from mercury by eating fish and shellfish is not a health concern. Yet, some fish and shellfish contain higher levels of mercury that may harm an unborn baby or young child's developing nervous system. The risks from mercury in fish and shellfish depend on the amount of fish and shellfish eaten and the levels of mercury in the fish and shellfish. Therefore, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are advising women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children to avoid some types of fish and eat fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
    Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
    Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.
    Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.
    Follow these same recommendations when feeding fish and shellfish to your young child, but serve smaller portions.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i put in greek yogurt, relish and mustard, so good
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think most are in E but I think you can get some which are in F# which makes a nice change.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Spicey mustard
  • MSimm62385
    Options
    I started eating it right out of the can with a side of crackers. GREAT source of protein!