Hey, Fat Girl.

Options

Replies

• Terryj20
    Options
    This post is awesome. And I can honestly sat at this point in my life I am the fat girl. I walk with my head down for fear of seeing what others think when the see me sweating when I am simply walking. I have even been asked by others " why are you sweating so much?" At times I just want to run and hide!
  • MamaLu
    Options
    AWESOME!! i wish every overweight person that feels this way would read this.....this is just what they need to hear.
    ty for sharing!!

I don't believe this post should be specific to 'overweight' people. This post has a much deeper meaning that applies to *everyone*

Love the message and agree it's for the overweight people, those just starting out, anyone trying to be healthier. I felt self-conscious running in my first 5k but that's what I love about the running community. Everyone encourages each other no matter what your level is. When I run, I run for me and I love saying hello to other runners and passing along words of encouagement to those who may be struggling. I think anyone who is truly in it, whatever it is - running, walking, lifting weights - they want to see others succeed too. I do stand in awe of those who are way out of shape but get out there and do what they can. Even if they can only run a few step at a time, are slower than other runners and have to exert more...they're still doing more than that person sitting on the couch.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Wow...thank you for sharing this! When I was in 8th grade and 200 lbs and we had to run the mile for physical fitness testing. I was never an athlete, obese in the 80s in junior high and in the 80s EVERYBODY was thin. I ran the mile in 11:56 and I was so proud I did it in just under 12 minutes, which is what was considered average for my age. Ms Piscatelli, my gym teacher, pushed me and encouraged me till I could do it and was my biggest cheerleader when I did it! I will never ever ever forget her for that. And this is why, over 20 yrs after my weight loss, I am here not only to motivate everyone but to stay motivated myself.

Please please please don't ever look at me like I'm a naturally thin girl. I AM NOT. I am ALWAYS that 200-lb 8th grader inside and I NEVER look down on anyone who is out there trying! Thanks again for sharing!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of C25K, and because I read this post a few weeks ago, I hold my head up high, make eye contact, and smile at the other joggers & walkers. I have never gotten anything but kindness back from them.
  • BrettS1973
    BrettS1973 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I want to preface this with the fact that I did not write this, I am however the Fat Girl and this blog made me tear up, because it hit home!

(This is a blog entry from flintland.blogspot.com)

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the
    running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy.
    You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make
    you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops
    on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so
    much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes
    at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You
    never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the
    reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is
    tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a
    brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will
    far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face
    your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this
    physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult
    decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take
    is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so
    slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were
    in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is
    stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is
    possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and
    put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that
    the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so
    inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people,
    know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so
    many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health,
    “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from
    deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are
    relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and
    you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe
    tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will
    not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a
    new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

Gives me chills, and tears. So moving.
    Thank you for sharing this. Thank you.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for sharing this!
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,182 Member
    Options
    This is super condescending. Y'all find it inspiring? Srsly?

You know that gym goers are more their own workout, not staring at fat people.

i suspect, this person might not have ever felt the awkwardness some of us do feel when we join in places where fitness IS the focus.......

and no where in the post
    no where
    does it imply that ppl at gyms are only workouts (?).
    wha?

but, if you have never been fat,
    never been stared at or snickered at for being fat,
    never caught that "look" on others' faces as you pass by,
    or
    never observed how heavy ppl can be teased, stared at,, etc,
    that's great! Hard to believe, but great!!
    where do you live? must be some kind of Wonderland! Lucky you!

Self fulfilling prophecy really. They will look at me if I try, so I won`t try.

Anyway, yeah, I find it condescending and gross. If a man said it about women working out or lifting weights or what-not, women would be all up in here rightfully calling it out. Why not now, oh right, self fulfilling prophecy - fat people can`t work out. Sad.
  • nissafull
    Options
    Wowsers. makes one want to look at the skinny people in the eye at the gym when I am timidly trying to enter without "stares". Maybe I will look up from now on.. great blog...thanks.
  • rhondarenee128
    rhondarenee128 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    that is phenomenal, it made me tear up. I feel that all of us when we start out always feel inadequate compared to the athletes we see, and its nice to get positive feedback, which inspires us to continue on.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is super condescending. Y'all find it inspiring? Srsly?

You know that gym goers are more their own workout, not staring at fat people.

i suspect, this person might not have ever felt the awkwardness some of us do feel when we join in places where fitness IS the focus.......

and no where in the post
    no where
    does it imply that ppl at gyms are only workouts (?).
    wha?

but, if you have never been fat,
    never been stared at or snickered at for being fat,
    never caught that "look" on others' faces as you pass by,
    or
    never observed how heavy ppl can be teased, stared at,, etc,
    that's great! Hard to believe, but great!!
    where do you live? must be some kind of Wonderland! Lucky you!

Self fulfilling prophecy really. They will look at me if I try, so I won`t try.

Anyway, yeah, I find it condescending and gross. If a man said it about women working out or lifting weights or what-not, women would be all up in here rightfully calling it out. Why not now, oh right, self fulfilling prophecy - fat people can`t work out. Sad.

I don't think the author is saying "fat people can't work out". There is no "prophecy" being made, nope. In the story,
    the heavy gal IS still working out,
    so your remark on that being a "self fulfilling prophecy"(?) is provably false,
    since she IS working out,:bigsmile:
    and your repeated remark about "self fulfilling prophecy" just makes no sense, since the author NEVER said "fat ppl can't work out".......makes no sense..........(?)

My take on it, was,
    a very compassionate understanding of the inner angst that some heavy ppl face when they enter arenas like tracks,
    exercise classes,
    etc,
    where fitness IS the focus.........Sure, sure, ideally, a heavy person "should" be able to not let another person's smirks or stares or outright cruelty impact their own inner self esteem,
    yeah, that'd be great if that is how it ws for more of us heavy ppl.

but, for many of us,
    feeling self-conscious about being heavy in a place where fitness IS *the* focus,
    can be hard for some of us.

How great it is not that way for you, KUDOS!! :flowerforyou:

It is hard to find any fat person who has never ever experienced cruelty for being heavy.

True, for some, they do NOT internalize that attitude, and DO maintain good self esteem anyway.

Many heavy ppl still strive towards fitness, despite their inner feeling of self consciousness to be unfit
    in place like a track,
    where
    fitness
    IS
    the
    focus.

This here website, MFP, is chockful of heavy ppl,
    all striving to become to fit. Where is this "self fulfilling prophecy" here on MFP??????????
    look around, THOUSANDS OF HEAVY PPL HERE ALL WORKING HARD TO GET FIT.:wink::bigsmile: :smile: :drinker:
    And 7 pages of ppl, many of whom ARE heavy,
    all understanding the meaning of this post..none of them read it and took away "fat ppl can't work out"......(?) cuz those words are NOT in the article.:blushing:
    Instead, the author is encouraging and admiring of the heavy person who IS working out.

The author never states "fat ppl can't work out".........so the strawman comparison to saying "females can't lift weights" is strawman, since NEITHER remark was ever stated by the author.

Plus, near as i can tell, most humans often admire anyone who lifts weights, of either gender........most humans rather admire the muscular forms achieved through weight lifting....most everyone i know who is into weight lifting, is very passionately into it,
    very proud of it,
    and very dedicated to it, to the point, that another person's smirk would not deter them at all. I don't know any weight lifters who are even slightly embarrassed about lifting weights, as a matter of fact,
    the weight lifters i know, of either gender,
    talk about it a LOT, this muscle group, this exercise, this protein shake, etc etc, they seem to enjoy talking about it and very proud of it.

but overall, it seems to me, that weight lifters are generally admired, and thought of as very fit and good looking, My impression is, that weight lifters get a LOT of positive feedback,:love: probably daily,
    for their very fit appearance.

but,
    at any rate, it's a strawman point,
    as the author never
    ever
    stated "fat ppl can not work out."
    nowhere in the article does the author say that..
    I think the author is displaying an understanding
    of what some ppl who are heavy might feel inside
    when they enter areas where fitness IS *the* focus.
  • RebmaGe1sha
    RebmaGe1sha Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yep, I cried when I read this. It's hard work and sometimes I feel like the people in my life don't actually realize how hard it can be. This post is exactly what I needed to start my day and even my month with. We can do this! Thanks for posting.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It was hard to read through the tears. That was just so wonderful. Thanks for posting
  • mcsteenie
    Options
    I thought this was inspirational. It is hard to start and its sure as heck is hard to keep moving when you dont blend in with the crowd. Thanks for the reminder to breathe and be proud.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Love this <3
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this story.
    It is really moving and a motivation.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this.
  • thdunn678
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Ugh can'tcrycan'tcry at work!!!
    It doesn't help that I'm reading this after some guys at the gym made fun of me...(I believe the direct quote was 'poor treadmill')

Going back tomorrow.
  • XxXWhitneyShereeXxX
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! Your awesome!