HELP w/running/and or jogging?

Options
I have been working out and dieting since around mid-february and have lost about 143 pounds and here for the last month or 2 I had decided I wanted to start running because I have ALWAYS been heavy and have never been able to run a mile even in High school.....So I started out simple running/jogging for 10 minutes and at 1st I thought I would die.....but I built up and now I can run/jog for 30 minutes .......so here is my dilemna....:( all this jogging takes place inside/in place with the use of my WII Fit Plus anyway the point is i want to be able to transition to actually jogging outside but I went and tried and turns out its alot harder (dr says there is no difference -calorie wise in jogging inside vs outside) but I know that my stamina wld be tons inproved if I could jog normally. So I was just trying to get some tips/info about how to go about it.......?????????

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Just get out and do it! It takes time to build up running ability - its not as easy as it looks! So each time try to go just a bit further, or longer, or faster. Dont be afraid to stop and walk when you need to catch your breath. And make sure you run SLOWLY enough to keep going.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Good for you with your success! That is huge!

Transitioning from running inside (either on a treadmill or jogging in place) to outside will use different muscles. There will be more pushing off the ground, harder slamming on the joints, etc. It will take some time for your body to adjust to the different use of your muscles. If you take your time on the transition, you will be able to make the change from inside to outside.

As pp mentioned, try to just run a little bit farther or longer each time, and over the course of a few weeks or months you will see results.
  • samadhi42
    Options
    You head outside the same way you started inside. Just start. Go as long as you can, catch your breath, and keep going. It may be harder but before you know it you'll be doing those 30 minutes and looking forward to getting outside and jogging in the fresh air every day. Also, you have to challenge your body to change your body. So get out there, and enjoy the challenge.
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    It is much harder running outside, if only because the mental game is different.
    I would suggest starting out jogging with walking.
    Set a total time you want to be out, maybe 20 or 30 minutes since that is what you are jogging indoors currently.

Pick a jogging length of time that feels good, it should feel like its pushing you just a little. Then pick a walking time that is not longer than your jogging time but lets you feel mostly recovered, (i.e. you've caught your breath and are feeling steady.)
    Jog and walk in this pattern for the length of time you want.
    Stick with the jog/walk pattern until its starting to feel easier, maybe a week or two, then lengthen your jogging and shorten your walking. Repeat until you are jogging the whole whole time.
    I would suggest starting with 5 minutes of jogging and 2 or 3 minutes of walking for 30 minutes (since you can jog that length of time indoors). Do that for two weeks, then try 6 minutes of jogging and 2:00-3:00 of walking.
    A lot of people who jog, will jog 10/walk 1. That is a great goal to aim for.
    The biggest thing is not to push too hard right away, ease into it and it'll be more enjoyable and you'll want to keep doing it.
    Also, listen to your body and you'll do great... find what works for you starting out and just keep adding time to your jogging and you'll get there. You've already come such a long way!
    Good luck , hope this helped.
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    just try you could be suprized for me i run much faster and it goes by much quicker when i run outside. i actually dislike running the tredmill now.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You rock! As everyone has said, the best way to start, is to start. Start by walking, and throw in a brief stint of running, and build up slowly. Try out several of the Couch to 5K programs that are out there until you find one that has music and a narrator that you like (Google can tell you all about them). They start you off with walking, and add in a little running, and over the course of a couple months they build you up to running for 30 minutes non-stop. Repeat weeks whenever you need to (I certainly did), and just build up your stamina slowly and steadily.

I think you'll find that running/walking outside is way more interesting, too!

Best wishes!
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Maybe try your transition to jogging outside by following the Couch 2 5K program? Modifiy it for the parts where you've already built up enough stamina but it might help ease you into the transition? Goodluck and great job!
  • DLMinus10
    Options
    I ran a marathon 5 years and now struggle to run a 5K. Got back into it by doing run/walk initially (run 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes) but for same mileage or time. Do that for a 2-3 weeks outside and then transition to running the whole time.
    If you're thinking about a distance event the book "Marathoning for Mortals" is fantastic.